This seems like single cycle waveforms were considered heavily and is a perfect use case in this implementation, in the way the supertrack manages the various parameters. You could create some really gnarly 8 voice polyphonic synths this way having scw’s on every subtrack, blending waveforms would be interesting to try out and then have master control of the trig lengths and so forth from the supertrack. At least if I’m interpreting this correctly.
Worth mentioning this means you can route any channels to bypass the master effect, so eg you could use master as an insert effect to really mess up a few channels while keeping others clean.
Obviously this was always possible with out C/D and a mixer, but using E/F to hear it in headphones and C/D being available over USB makes this a bit more interesting to me.
Make slices with the autosampler (and a 2nd device)
Just had this idea:
- sample your sample to the other device
- chop it up there and set it up so the slices are triggered by midi
- connect the 2nd device to the Tonverk
- set up autosampling: sample every semitone, single velocity layer, limit the range to where you have the samples
- run the auto sampling routine!
Did that with a OP-1 Field as the second device, connected to the TV solely via usb-c for both audio and midi and it worked!
pros? you can have way more slices than using subtracks! you can impart the sound characteristic of the other device (personally, I love the OP1 drive, EQ and FX) and/or run it through a sound processor for even more character.
cons? you need 2 devices. there’s some setting up required. the 2nd device has to be able to trigger slices via midi and use successive midi notes to do that. the auto sampling mode in the TV really looks like it’s in still in beta - no note names when you set up range, random generated names for your created autosamples, no sample editing possible, so you pray midi won’t glitch during sampling…
While we wait to see if the Granulator will be added, you can kind of do a form of granular with fast retrigs. It’s nothing too fancy and I’m sure folks have done something similar with Digitakt/Rytm in the past, but it works slightly different on Tonverk since the tracks are polyphonic. Hello 8 voice grain clouds.
With retrig on, retrig time (RTIM) becomes your grain rate/density. The amp envelope becomes your grain shape and grain size. Attack defines the grain shape more than the size, while decay and release affect the size - though with very short envelopes, decay and release can define the grain shape too.
Once this is setup, you can use the sample start control on the SRC page to scrub the sample. Assigning an LFO here works well. On the SRC page, you can see each playhead (grain) when it is trigged. Modulating the filter or panning sounds great in this setup.
Things can open up a bit more once you start placing trigs. I’ve just placed them as 16th notes in a 16 step pattern, but it seems to work pretty decently. Trig length becomes another way to control grain size. Probability and conditions can create patterns within the grains. And of course adding parameter locks to all this is really fun.
It’s no GR-1 or Tempera or eurorack granular modules, but seems like it can be useful in a pinch.
Yeah I independently tried this the other day and it was fun!
I just use 1 subtrack with a drumbreak. Then use parameter locks on the sequencer to adjust the start point on the break. This way you can have 8 different breakbeats chopped up in there own different ways, and pitch up and down if you like, and only use 1 track to do it
Hello,
I’ve made a little tool for myself to quickly slice drum loops for the multisample engine and I thought someone else might find it useful
Only used it on desktop linux so far, with .wav files
Currently having issues on touch devices
Expect quirks and bugs
Is there a way to load a bunch of samples into the ram at once to use on single player machines? I’m not seeing a select all option in my samples folder ![]()
Would like to know this too, seems like a lot of common Elektron design languages are missing or different.
how do you use the velocity trig mode?
It isn’t available (yet?) but the velocity modifiers are available on Func+ down arrow.
I think it is? Func-up if memory serves
Looks like we may have had the same idea, albeit myself after you. I did not see your post. Used to do this on Digitakt 1 to fake time stretching.
Your demo sounds great.
ok. also here thought I overlooked something.
helpful reference guide thank you
While it’s already been mentioned, worth noting that if you rename a sample you will then see a Missing Sample error when you next load the pattern. It’s easy enough to select the renamed sample.
A natural consequence of apparently no longer using the checksum method of tracking samples.
The checksum only ever worked on DT and DT2, because there all filesystem operations go through the device’s firmware. With a card slot you’d have to rebuild the checksum index every single time you boot up the device. As you can imagine this can dramatically increase boot time for large libraries. VT takes 30 seconds to boot without this already.
That’s the reason why many devices (OT, Blackbox) offer to copy samples to the project folder, because then projects are self-contained, and users can rearrange their sample library as they wish.
I hope they bring this to TV soon, because now you need to back up your entire card for taking a backup copy to a gig.
Oh this is a nice idea, like “Collect All and Save” in Ableton?
Exactly. I’m sure that function and a couple of others got backlogged because of fixes that were more important for the release.
For sure, I’ve worked on enough hardware and software projects to know that you have to make tough calls to ship sometimes! I trust Elektron to get everything in order based on my many past experiences