Tonverk speculations

Rumsklang = room sound, and like all FX it remains to be heard before judgement is passed. IDK how people can assume FX are going to be good/bad without hearing anything yet.

Supervoid Reverb is not new. It the one found in all existing boxes.

3 Likes

Give it a keybed with the same layout as the Analog Keys but with a crossfader instead of a joystick and it’s an instant buy for me.

can i get like 10% off or something lol :grinning:

3 Likes

They do. It lacks Slices though.

Who said anything was bad? I just really wanted a room reverb. Hopefully, Rumsong means room I guess, like you said.

Rum is Swedish for room. Rumsklang.

A rumsong is for pirates, arr matey.

3 Likes

You the have the slicing on the DT…

How did I miss that ! :rofl:
Read again. I am obviously talking about Tonverk.

Finally midi arps, yah!!

4 Likes

I keep coming back to the thread. I am wondering if one usb can be audio either from an electron device or maybe an iPad. or even an audio interface for adding more inputs.

1 Like

i would buy a pirate reverb ye skallywag

1 Like

So “Rumsong” means nothing, but “Rumsklang” actually makes sense. It was ok for to question it in the first place.

God fika fer all!

3 Likes

18 Likes

I hate to be the one, but I‘m a bit disappointed. So they release another sampler 1,5 years after they released a new sampler. Why didn’t they put the Tonverk functions into DT II or DT II functions like slices into Tonverk? Especially since it doesn’t seem to have any synth capabilities, Inwould have expected this to be more complete. Especially if it costs way more than DT II.

14 Likes

Oh young swabbies. Me proud beauty be goin’ t’ scuttle me. The big wave be comin’ but beyond it Sweden be jus’ on the horizon. Let’s take a moment afore the storm t’ pour out a bottle o’ hooch fer the non-believers 'n castaways. I hope ye’ve all saved yer doubloons.

'cause 'tisn’t the same thing lad!

5 Likes

No mention of overbridge on that leaked spec sheet … only class compliant audio … maybe it’s more than a stereo stream … I’m sure OB would be handy to setup multi samples / patches etc

I’d guess it’s not ready so they’re avoiding the confusion .

1 Like

I personally like samplers with my samplers.

Same here - I was really hoping for something that strings together the Digis: Hook them up via USB to Tonverk, enjoy multitracking in one box and some creative sample mangling on top of that.

But, let’s see what it can actually do!

3 Likes

The two usb-c ports got me thinking too. (I might have spun out a little with thinking through the possibilities)

I think that had to be their mitigation against people saying it doesn’t have enough inputs. Class compliant audio doesn’t explicitly mean multitrack, it could just mean stereo, but hear’s hoping. (MPC competing feature)

I’ve got my hopes up, I’m not expecting any of this on day one, but maybe as a 1.5 or 2.0 release:

I think Elektron is moving to a cohesive multi-device strategy using usb for connectivity. Their take on what Roland did with Aira. To survive they need to focus on the market segment who get into Elektron with one device, but have the funds and are compelled to add more devices. Elektron need that cohesive ecosystem (like Apple) to make your second and third boxes naturally be more Elektron gear.

Toverk works as well featured groovebox on its on, but if it has the usb I/O capability I think it has, it also can become your centrepiece with its Buss tracks, send FX, and mixer functionality.

Tonverk handles more complex polyphonic melodic parts (auto-sampler and multi-sampler tracks compete with MPC, 1010 Bento, etc).

Directly connect your DTII or AnalogRhythm and employ that for your drum duty, sample based monophonic synthesis, and I expect they’ll add a proper granular engine soon. Sadly I don’t think the DTII will ever get polyphonic sample tracks now the Tonverk exists. Just looking at the machines the Tonverk has vs Digitakt II they’ve carefully identified the purpose of these machines and tried to ensure a careful balance of overlap so neither cannibalises the sales of the other. I believe this is why and Octatrack mk3 would struggle to fit in with their current stable and strategy.

Directly connect your DNII for polyphonic FM and subtractive synthesis. What will be interesting is whether the Tonverk has parity in the poly sequencing feature department like the inclusion of an Arp suggests. The ability to fine tune the timing etc of each note on an individual step on the DNII is advanced and kind of essential to be a top-tier poly device. It would be a miss if the Tonverk didn’t have it.

Obviously also add the Analogs for, well, analog duty, and I suspect the Models will also be able to be added too if that’s your setup - they’re not Overbridge but I think they do class compliant stereo usb audio.

I think class compliant audio pretty much means we can also expect to integrate synths from other manufacturers as we can today with some of them (OP-1F into Digitakt II works now because the OP-1F is a usb-c host). The Tonverk having usb-c suggests it should be able to be the host and you’ll be able to bring in a wider variety of synths such as the Roland Aira Compacts, which do class compliant stereo audio over usb.

I think (and really this is my BIG hope that all my inferences about their strategy hang off) the Tonverk is designed to be an Overbridge host over usb-c (eventually), so all the Elektron boxes that have Overbridge will be able to multitrack into the Tonverk to make good use of the buss tracks, send fx and mixer features. It will be interesting to see how they work with mixing many many tracks on that small screen. I suspect it’s just lots of pages which probably works fine. Or maybe this is how sub-tracks will be employed. Digitakt II appears as a single track to balance with other things, but press a button and you dive into a submix for the individual Digitakt II tracks.

Sounds like a terrible mixers with no faders? Not really, just add a Novation LaunchControl XL mk3 via usb or DIN MIDI, and you’ve got several pages worth of channels under control. With knobs for pan, aux 1 & 2 send, level fader, and mute buttons. I wonder if within the industry there’s been a little alignment of roadmaps, where companies aren’t in the same market segment.

Finally I think, class compliant multichannel audio interfaces will be supported, both to allow you to integrate more synth inputs over analog connections, and also to allow the Tonverk to multitrack out to an analog mixing desk/8-track tape machine if that’s your jam.

I fully expect my stupidly high expectations to be dashed, but if I wanted to move from customers buying one or two €800 devices to convincing people to spend €3-4000 or more, that’s how I’d strategise my ecosystem and roadmap.

Also if you integrate say a DTII with a Tonverk you’ve got two stereo ins or 4 mono ins, which is pretty comprehensive for adding a few choice analog synths, so there’s a strong Elektron focused ecosystem on a smaller scale too.

Why they suddenly started working on Overbridge for iPad makes a lot more sense too, it was demoed connected to the 4 current devices, but I bet it wasn’t primarily for them - the budget came from Tonverk Overbridge capability. My guess is they’re also working on the Overbridge UI we see on the desktop, and Tonverk’s will feature very usable mixer faders, like you see in Logic. iPad works better for that than computer because of touch control of multiple faders at once. That will address some people’s complaints that the Tonverk is a mixer without faders.

Tonverk midi sequencing soft synths and Koala sampler on iPad is also a pretty compelling starter setup, and that doesn’t even need Overbridge on day one. USB-C ports mean you can connect them easily with the cable you’ve already got and class compliant audio means you can bring the iPad sound back into the Tonverk, mix it and add fx, and use the Tonverks outputs.

I wonder if the second set of outputs will enable Cue a cue track, perhaps Tonverk can crossover into more hybrid DJ use too - use DJ software on an iPad mix it in the Tonverk and add new electronic elements. Romper you say, sounds ripe for 90s rave revival.

Reading too much into things, I think the 4 arrows in the teaser suggest they’ve successfully had 4 other electron boxes sending audio into the Tonverk over Overbridge.

Oh and I find it funny they released the teaser on the day of the Apple event. I think they should have been slightly more explicit: “don’t spend €1500 on a new iPhone you’re going to need it for a Tonverk”

Looking forward to a Day One Cuckoo review.

6 Likes