Tom Oberheim & Dave Smith OB6

Thanks, I did not see that video, I’m not usually a fan of brass patch but it’s a nice one.

I really like my Rev2 but I feel like the OB6 really has something special going on soundwise. Then again, I think that the Prophet would fit more easily in a mix due to its different character.

2 Likes

Pretty stoked I got the OB-6 module at a good price being delivered Monday. Not sure what I’m gonna do with my Nord A1 keyboard & Moog Sub 37 Tribute. :thinking:

2 Likes

If I understand this LFE box correctly - cool factor aside - I can in terms of features, accomplish with the OB-6 what this does, with the midi section of the Digitakt, Digitone or Octatrack, right? If I dedicate all Digitakt midi tracks to the OB-6, I’d have eight lfo’s with sequenced p-locks mapped to CC and a sequencer to boost, right?

Or does the LFE do what it does in a way no other box does?

1 Like

I hooked up my OB-6 to the OT, and mapped every knob I could in CC Direct Connect mode (all OT MIDI tracks set to control OB-6 on MIDI channel 6, obviously).
Some controls like LFO were missing, btw, maybe some NRPN needed there, haven’t looked MIDI implementation yet (thank you CC Direct Connect).
I could then live record on OT the knobs motions from the OB-6 pannel (and of course set a lot of LFOs in OT).

I can’t see how a LFE would do better than that :smile: It has the looks, though…

3 Likes

The cool factor is high, but even though I’m more shallow than the Bradley Gaga song, there’s a place for reason as well. I figured that even if I got a Digitakt just for the purpose of unlocking modulation through LFO, sequencing and p-locking the OB-6 to infinity and beyond, it’d still be about the same price as this (super awesome) LFE box, and slightly more convenient.

Heck, if the Digitakt was a stereo sampler - which I’m still confident it will be, in time - this would be a stupid awesome micro rig.

But it’s not, for now, and I’m not sacrificing the stereo love of the OB-6. Even so, just to find a all dancing sequencing solution for modulation galore, this choice makes odd sense, even compared to the likes of the Pyramid and stuff.

2 Likes

Right, my first gig with the OB-6. Or rather, samples and loops I made on the OB-6 and recorded into the Blackbox. All synths from the OB, then, all drums from the Tanzmaus:

4 Likes

Check out GeoSynths presets. I fell in love with his prophet 6 patches. I’m sure his OB6 patches are nice as well.

Sounds like it, here’s what I got from the manual

Thanks for buying this Low Frequency Expander (LFE). I bought my OB-6 in February 2019 and loved the sound and build quality but quickly found it very much lacked modulation possibilities. It’s got just one LFO, which is global (affects all 6 voices together), and lets you share the filter envelope to modulate a limited number of destinations. You can also use VCO 2 as a polyphonic (per-voice) LFO, but you lose a precious VCO by doing this. What I needed was a way of adding a number of extra modulators and to be able to route them to a lot more destinations. So I developed the Low Frequency Expander!
It’s called Low Frequency because it generates relatively low frequency midi data rather than audio. Having said that, it can send up to 500 midi messages per second. It’s called Expander because it Expands on a synth’s capabilities, rather than making any sounds of its own.
The Low Frequency Expander generates four modulators - one complex envelope generator and three LFOs – to effectively turn the knobs on the OB-6 / Prophet 6 by midi control. I’m using both midi CCs (Continuous Controllers) and NRPNs (Non Registered Parameter Numbers) to control the parameters on the synth. NRPNs (Non Registered Parameter Numbers) give slightly better control resolution and a larger number of destinations, but Sequential don’t handle NRPNs very cleanly which results in audible glitches when using some controls. Sequential say they may address this in a future firmware release. Until then, I use CCs for controls that would otherwise glitch, and I use NRPNs to access a greater number of modulation destinations, about 50 in total!
You can imagine the LFE as 4 helping hands, automatically turning any 4 of your synth’s knobs or switches. Just like turning, say VCO1’s pulse width knob affects all voices equally, and just like the synth’s own LFO affects all voices equally, the LFE’s modulators are Global and affect all of the synth’s voices equally.

2 Likes

Lots of love for this instrument. But in the end, I returned it. So no OB-6 for me.

Would you mind listing the NRPN that are OK ?
My MIDI expander is the OT, btw… And sometimes the DN :smiley:

@circuitghost oh really?
So what was your problem this time?
Have you tried the Summit?

Not a problem. It just sounds too good and too clean, even though it has a more dense character than the Prophet 6.

I just don’t think I’m a synth guy. I keep coming back to the piano, or some kind of Moog, and then throw in samples. The rest, I just discard after some time.

I got a Grandmother now by accident (long story), so it’s on my desk and I really like it. But no matter if it goes or stays, I won’t bother finding a new synth now. I’m just gonna go with samples and versions of ivory for awhile.

1 Like

Ah. If OB-6 can’t satisfy you, for sure you’re not a synth guy :tongue:
Maybe an Expressive E Osmose would better fit your needs…

4 Likes

Good day Sir! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That’s really odd. The OB-6 and P6 can’t receive both at the same time.

1 Like

Nah. I’m feeling pretty good about my current situation. Not looking to buy or acquire anything anymore, really.

3 Likes

I should add, though, that I still love to approach and try new instruments, even more now than before. I just don’t feel the need to own or buy much stuff these days.

3 Likes

You’re growing wiser, my friend. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s like watching a rock star dump supermodel after supermodel… :wink:

(sigh)

Cheers!

2 Likes

Why would you say that? You don’t know me. I’ve always been supportive when you’ve posted here. Don’t have a go at me just because you can.

Dude, honestly, how could you take those words seriously?

I guess here I am apologizing then, but I assure you I was joking.

Cheers!

*Edit: There. I added an emoji. Hopefully that helps to better convey the sentiment.

3 Likes

Maybe I overreacted. Beer’s on me if we ever meet. Cheers, as you say😊

3 Likes