Tom Oberheim & Dave Smith OB6

Got myself one of these now. 30 day trial before I have to decide if it’s a keeper.

Here.

We.

Go.

4 Likes

So, have you decided yet ? :laughing:

1 Like

Not quite😊had it for a few hours only. Sweet hours, tho, for sure😊

It does occur to me that if one cannot make music on a synth like this, one probably cannot make music at all.

7 Likes

I tried one on my way to buy a Prophet Rev2… and it was a huge mistake, I do have the Prophet but the OB6’s sound still haunts me to this day !

Anyway, cheers on the acquisition, have fun ! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m struggling with reasons to return this one. It’s expensive, but I only have space for one synth and it’s just about what I can afford and within one day, it’s taking me to places where I really want to go.

I think it’s quite different from the Prophet6, actually, but maybe that’s stating the obvious.

3 Likes

I have the desktop version, which is cheaper. Love it, this one will never leave!

With an OT at its side, you can go pretty far !

5 Likes

Has been on my long term lust list and won’t leave :smile:

2 Likes

OT’s gone, mate. I’m bare bones these days.

But it’s already becoming BFF with the Blackbox :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know, I’ve overlooked it for ages. It wasn’t until recently when I described what kind of sound I was looking for, a friend said to check out the OB-6. Never crossed my mind before. But I’m glad I came around eventually.

1 Like

I have a synth head buddy who declares it a future classic. I trust him as his last, awesome, recommendation was OTO Biscuit. Which I won’t leave my dead hands :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have an Alpha Juno 2. It sounds great but barebones feature wise; nothing compared too many even inexpensive polyp on the market.

I won’t even consider replacing it unless it’s with an OB6. It’s like for me there’s no other poly in existence than an OB6.

3 Likes

I have an OB-6 desktop, and it is the only synth I will never let go. It is a beautiful synth.

2 Likes

You guys❤️

I don’t know if you seen it but this guy pushes the rev2 into a vintage territory very well with the gated sequencer at about 9 minutes in. Certainly is quite a lot more work to get a more vintage sound but the results are really convincing to me and you still retain access to all the modern features the rev2 has.

2 Likes

I’ve been debating getting an OB-6 or Prophet 6 for years, and still am not 100% sure about which one. I would literally be taking the plunge today - any last minute thoughts are appreciated. I love the thick opiate rush of the OB, but also love the cream and versatility of the P6. I’ve been leaning towards the P6, mostly due to thinking it can make snappier plucks, chords and basses, and I worry about whether the OB is a one trick pony. But I’m still torn. That OB sounds soooo good.

I had a Prophet 6 for one year. I’ve only had the OB-6 for one day😊

But I sold the Prophet eventually because while it is fantastic and formidable, it was also always familiar. It was the best kind of familiar, but still versions of what you’d heard through the ages.

The OB-6 seems to be stranger, a more distant and far away place. I’m already finding sounds with it that I couldn’t with the Prophet, but always wanted to. It’s not as classic, nor did I ever want it to be.

5 Likes

There’s no wrong answer. I have an OB-6 that I’ll never part with (even in death) but I think if I’d gone for the Prophet 6, I’d likely feel the same way about that too. Now, of course, I’ll never get one because I love the OB-6 and I have Repro-5. In many ways, it’s like a marriage. Let your head be soothed that they’re both fine choices, and follow your heart.

4 Likes

the OB6 is friggin incredible. I’ve said this before (maybe in this thread?) but my wrists were legitimately sore for a couple days after receiving it. just couldn’t stop playing it.

the only thing to rival that feeling of “seriously…how does it sound THIS GOOD!?!” was the Korg Polysix. still adore 'em both.

3 Likes

I have both, and regards to Bass I’d say the OB-6 is every bit as good as the P6. Just as a frame of reference, I go for the kind of bass vibe that you actually get from the Moog Source and D, and both the P6 and OB-6 get there. It’s more in the envelopes than the 12/24dB difference, and I find the envelopes on both lend themselves perfectly to Bass plucking.
Full disclosure, I use the Toraiz AS-1 (the mono P6) as a bass synth simply for convenience.
The only real differences between the two is firstly 12db vs 24db, but honestly the OB-6 rivals any 24. And secondly, the P6 has the Tri sub OSC and the OB-6 a Square Sub. But I never use sub OSC in my Bass pluck patches on either the P6 or OB-6, they don’t need it.

Perhaps a good combo is the OB-6 and Toraiz AS-1? But keep in mind there’s sequencer issues on the AS-1, but they’re irrelevant if you use an external sequencer.

2 Likes