Tips on adding HPF to live setup

I’m in the process of putting together a live techno setup consisting of a Digitakt (for drums) and a modular system (for bass and leads). I’m inspired by a technique utilized by the likes of Karenn and Ansome (and probably many more), where the kick and bass (or indeed the entire mix) is routed through a high pass filter, allowing the low end to be taken gradually in and out.
Any ideas on how I can add a nice sounding high pass filter to my setup? I guess it would have to go on the mixbus, as the kick and bass are on two different sources (the kick coming from the Digitakt, and the bass out of the modular). Any stereo stomp boxes, perhaps?

1 Like

Analog Heat

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve noticed it’s got a filter. Probably a really good addition with all the other features as well. I’m hoping to find something a bit more cost-effective, though :slight_smile:

Or Akai MFC-42 Analog Filter if you can find one. That thing has a Mono Input (bass) and Stereo Inputs all going to Stereo Outputs.

1 Like

Do you still have room on the modular? Almost the first thing I think of when I hear modular is filters!!

I think I should write Uli B and ask him to make a clone of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do have some room, but I would have to route the Digitakt into the modular then. Which is possible to do…

Using a DJ mixer would give you faders, filters, effects, eq’s. Perfect tools for live techno. You could eventually add an external compressor / limiter in on the master insert.

5 Likes

Karenn use the Bugbrand PEQ (I think?) on stage here:

Analog Heat or Electrix Filter Factory or Filter Queen maybe?

I simply use OTs filter on the master track.

2 Likes

Dj mixer is great I use an Allen and Heath Xone 42. Or as above, Octatrack’s master tracker with filter on one of the fx slots it great.

Edit: although either option maybe isn’t the most cost effective. Maybe a cheap 2 channel dj mixer?

1 Like

Kinda a wildcard option would be a really nice standalone isolator EQ. I used to DJ at a listening bar near me a few times and they had an original bozak mixer and the EQ on that thing glues a mix like nothing else, and the sonic sculpting ability, both cutting and boosting, sounded leagues better than any DJ HP/LP filter I’ve used. Just throw it on the final output and don’t be afraid to play it like an instrument.

1 Like

I’d also suggest a DJ mixer…not so much for HPF specifically but I recently bought a four channel mixer to make live house/techno with my gear.

1 Like

Add a stereo filter and some saturation to your modular setup? Other options like AH and a little mixer have already been named.

Have to say it astounds me and makes me feel like a veteran that you’ve just heard of this technique.

Waldorf 2 Pole, maybe?

2 Likes

Do you remember which isolator it was?
Occasionally I‘ve been eyeing these as well, but it‘s hard to find feedback or reviews.

1 Like

Who says I just heard of it? :thinking:

I think the 2-pole would be a great option if I could merge the kick and bass to one channel, as the 2-pole is mono. Another module like it is the Jomox T-resonator.

1 Like

Likely they re using mixer eq to do this. But many other options named here work too.

Korg KP3 is probably the cheapest option?

I remember looking that up. It’s a Bugbrand.

1 Like