Tiny synth to go with OT?

Hello everyone!

I am currently away from home for a while but have managed to get my OT on my trip. I miss my DNK though. To scratch the synthesis itch, I tried controlling Fors.fm’s Chiral inside of Ableton Live with MIDI tracks on the OT.
It’s great… but I’m a whiney child and I would like dedicated hardware, even if it is limited.

What I’m looking for is:

• Good sounding synth (good is enough, versatility is a plus but not a priority)
  • Built-in MIDI (full size DIN or trs are both fine to me)
  • As small as possible
  • As affordable as possible

The only synths I know that are like this are 1010music’s nanobox instruments. While they are super cool, they are also WAYYY more expensive than what I would like for this use case.

So, Elektronauts, what are the cool little sound generators you can recommend?

Have you seen this thread? Lots of amazing ideas!

11 Likes

It’s funny seeing this stream right under the thread where everybody is complaining about synths being too small.

Did you have a synthesis type?

Thoughts on Volcas?

Thoughts on East Beast and West Pest?

3 Likes

Micromonsta 2 is a great option.

13 Likes

I second this. Micromonsta 1 is good too…

3 Likes

Make noise O coast.

6 Likes

Ask @Fin25, he loves tiny stuff.

Seriously though, the 0-Coast is the most fun I’ve had so far alongside the OT.

6 Likes

1010 music put out a couple of REALLY tiny nanobox synths that might fit the bill.

I will also second @sabana’s recommendation of the 0-Coast. That’s the synth I actually took with me places to jam in the before times.

1 Like

@obscurerobot I saw it but mostly saw jokes haha. Maybe I should have read more, I will dig into it.

@RobertSyrett : I don’t want to close myself to anything for now, I’m just trying to get a list of options to explore. Any synth type counts!
Some things I would love I guess are polyphony (even two voices) and full ADSR. Those would be really welcome.

Volcas I think are too big (I know) compared to how they sound and the build quality in my opinion. Considering I’m only interested in sound generation, I am not really interested in their on-board controls. The point would be to control everything from the OT’s MIDI tracks.

I had never heard about the East Beast and West Pest. The latter sounds great, I love it! The fact that it features MIDI integration is really nice, I was not expecting that from a small analog synth. I will look deeper into it!

@Synthtastic & @sezare56 the Micromonsta looks and sounds siiiiick. If I can get my hands on one, I think I will :smiley:

The O-Coast sounds fantastic, but as a fan of pads, I wonder how much I will miss polyphony compared to recording separate melodies and resampling them into chords on the OT after the fact… For that price, I also think I would rather go with the 1010music boxes I mentioned in the first post, as I am not specifically looking for analog gear.

• Doesn’t have to be after the fact. The OT can live sample. Edit: plus there’s an arpeggiator!
  • Thinking different is half the fun of the 0-Coast. There are some weird multiphonics abilities with that function generator, for example.
  • Edit 2: It does make really nice pads, polyphony aside.

The SH-01a is also really fun. Great for pads, full ADSR, etc.

11 Likes

Oh yah, I’m a big fan of the sh-01a, the JU-06a and the JX-08 are also fantastic and they are small and cute as a button (but still easy to use).

2 Likes

You guys like the 0-Coast and/or micromonsta 2 better than an elektron synth (like digitone or syntakt or ak4) to go alongside OT? Curious! These little ones look rad.

2 Likes

I’m not going to lie; I started this thread because I am lusting over an Analog Four mkI, simply because my Digitone is far away from meeeee.
I love the Digitone Keys but « fits in a backpack » is not a good description for it.

2 Likes

I also have digitone and model:cycles that sometimes get hooked up to the OT They both work quite well but I sometimes get confused where I sequenced what if I have the OT sequencing as well as the secondary box.

Other than that, I can fully endorse those two from first hand experience.

1 Like

You like the digi keys better than the digitone itself? :slight_smile:
Good luck with your search. Folks here have been so insightful and supportive. Great community.

1 Like

Monotribe+midi kit.
I just want everyone to love it as much as me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

The PL2 is really small and affordable (and passive, it only needs the power from the midi in, which I find somewhat charming)… for the sound you’ll have to decide for yourself

1 Like

Some more serious suggestions:

• Arturia Microfreak
  • Roland SE-02
  • Roland MC-101
  • Model:Cycles
2 Likes

i think we have found the tiniest synth