Thoughts about music making n OT

PTSowns-
Ive been making records with sampling since 1990. Started with ensoniq mirage and then ASR, akai 900, 3000, 3000xl, emu emax2, 6400xl, mpc 2000, 2000xl, 2500, live.

There is hardly a sampler or sampling technique I haven’t used and explored.

You assumed very off. May i ask how long have you been in the game…?

My bad, I misread the part I quoted and didn’t see the word “audio,” haha.

This is what happens when I skip two meals in a row.

1 Like

Please let’s avoid personal attacks, provocations or any sterile flame wars.
If this conversation goes too far in such direction we’ll have to close it.

The topic is about music making and OT.
I use OT for improvised live performance these days, with only a few samples that I bring pretty far from the original, and not necessarily with loops.
I do believe that OT bringing a lot of options on the table make it all the more complex to come up with a decent workflow.

1 Like

Well, to me one of the most important aspects of a forum is to be… informed.
When people say “its a sampler, it can do anything”, thats disinformation and may cause people to waste time and money.

A record player is a “sampler” aswell.

What counts is the os and what it lets you do most efficiently to get the results you have in mind.

The os and architecture of the OT is killer for certain things and absolute headache stone age for other things.

Its important to point it out in a “forum”.

All the “get creative and dont complain” remarks are childish and have no room in a professional serious forum.

(I agree with your last remark.
If a childish remark is spotted, use the flagging system to take care of it. Answering to it is fueling the dark energy.)

Now it took me years to actually be able to feel at ease with OT. Days with OP-1. But I use OT way more, lately, cause I’ll get things done way quicker. Especially with external gear : it’s so easy to sample on the fly and bring the sound to another direction.
I do hit beats with OT, occasionally, but for this I prefer DT.

I do hope you end finding your way with this sampler, overcome what annoys you and discover new places. Somehow, like with OP-1, I’ve found it more interesting to get rid of old habits and comply to the workflow, and find new ways of creating music.

With one or two satellites, this sampler makes live performing such a joy :slight_smile:

Totally. But all this joy is thanks to understanding what this device is best at and what it was geared towards doing best, instead of making a violin behave like a piano… If you wanna play Piano don’t insist on getting it from a violin…

Thats where this Forum can turn valuable… Trying to protect the OT’s reputation as if its some precious religion is counterproductive.
Its a tool and needs to be analyzed for what its best at for the benefit of all users. The Unit is not above the human, as much as the party is not above Humanity (we saw what can happen…:wink:

Elektron Octatrack DPS MKI/MKII
DPS = Digital Performance Sampler

It’s right in the name what it is. There is nothing to dispel.

Akai MPC = Midi/Music production center
It’s quite obvious the are different.

What does Performance means? Performing Rachmaninof Symphony 2, Beating finger drumming or Mangling samples?

See, its still not clear at all from the name. Performing is also sweeping the floor. It would be performing a cleanup…

This topic has been closed because it has deteriorated into repetition of points made many times before in this and other topics.

7 Likes