Thoughts about music making n OT

Double or quadruple the tempo to fit more steps into a pattern. Be creative or complain. I prefer being creative.

I can make music on almost anything though, and I enjoy making music with different things.

1 Like

You still get 64 notes per cycle no matter what you do.
I was merely outlining the way it operates and its limitations.
Save the preaching for your children. Im not one of them.

I apologize. This conversation isn’t for me, and I foolishly reacted unnecessarily. I’ll avoid this thread again so you guys can carry on with your conversation.

4 Likes

Yeah you only get 64 steps but with resampling and dividing tempo you can basically accomplish anything . Resampling, that’s the key. If you don’t resample it’s probably not for you…

Plus you can chain patterns and do even more pattern magic with the Arranger.

1 Like

You can many things, but on the MPC all you have to do is press Rec+Play.

Now count how many things you have to do in the OT to get to the same result,

Different horses for different courses… The OT is not made for Live programming,. Its great for mailing and post processing. Use the right tool for the job and get a lot done in less time…:wink:

You have to press as many patterns as you want in a chain and press record. For some this is not a live programming killer.

That isn’t the killer perhaps, but no immediate quantize types, no note length recording, and pads that are self evident for not being performance pads but rather data entry pads, tell the purpose and story of this machine that is indeed amazing in other tasks indeed

its a sampling TR/TB in essence

I don’t know how the presense of pads screams live programming machine, but I’m sure there are a lot of things the MPC doesn’t do which one would consider essential for live programing.

1 Like

All you have to do is program two or three or whatever mono synth tracks then resample. Not so hard and deff not impossible like you suggest. You probably shouldnt try and persuade people to not use the OT when your view is limited due to your creativity

2 Likes

If you look to close at one area of a picture it just looks like pixels, if you step back and look from a broader perspective the image can be seen…

By searching the forum one can read countless examples of the OT being misunderstood, underestimated, or approached from the wrong angle, often by folks who’ve had one for years. I wouldn’t try to sum up the OT without several years of experimenting/practicing/researching the machine… Looking at the OT from narrow angles doesn’t do it justice, after putting in time and effort a more holistic view can be seen that puts all of the pieces together and reveals what the OT can truly do…

7 Likes

@Open_Mike Right?.. Like I’m under the impression OT can literally do anything. It’s a sampler, like it can sound like and be anything you want it to be. I’m willing to bet, because I’ve noticed this with other members, OP probably doesn’t resample and probably uses the stock samples or other sample packs. Like that’s the problem not the OT lol

Don’t own an OT but did have an MPC500 and it’s not a simple REC+Play box. It takes time like anything else. solid machine but sold it cause I never gelled with it.

I feel it comes down to how much time your willing to learn something, sacrifice productivity for knowledge.

you can play your trigs live and record it into audio as you play… no limitations except how you play.

Perhaps one needs to use looping and recorders more for more unquantized, musical expression with the OT? when you lean more into recording audio rather than MIDI, alot of options open up… Have you checked youtube how instrumentalists use the OT in their performances?

What do ya got for me?

Octatrack is somewhere between a much more advanced take on the Boss SP series phrase samplers and a hardware implementation of a classic tracker sequencer (with just a bit of looping thrown in), and it is amazing at that. That’s what I got mine expecting and other than a few relatively minor things it has exceeded my expectations again and again. But if I’d gotten it expecting a full-blown sequencer or sampler I’d have been extremely disappointed, because it isn’t either one. A doesn’t pretend to be, but the fact that full featured sequencers and samplers have been about the most underrepresented varieties of hardware in the last 15 years and have only very recently started to see any kind of comeback (look at the prices of last-generation Akai and Roland samplers these days, still very cheap for what they can do but 2-3 times what they sold for when the OT was released, and climbing - and good luck finding a maxed out Kurzweil K-2xx with the sampling option installed for under $500 now), so I think there are a lot - probably a majority - of people getting in to hardware in the last 5-10 years who don’t really have a good sense of where the OT fits among samplers and sequencers, simply because there really hasn’t been much in the way of hardware sequencing since the early 2000s and full-featured hardware samplers pretty much only exist inside of workstation keyboards today.

1 Like

I use the OT almost exclusively for live programming and sampling. A big part of why I got it was because the MPC I was using was completely unable to live sample, and the only realistic option at the time was an MPC-1000 with JJOS, and I’ve had enough friends using that to know it wasn’t what I was after; now there’s the Deluge and the current generation of MPCs but I still think the OT is a better tool for what I want to do, with the old MPC to fill in the sequencing and drum-sampling holes and an Akai S5000 to fill in the sampling holes.

But I can and regularly do use jsut the OT with one or two external sound sources and nothing else to improvise a track from scratch, starting from a template project that has some basic routing and machine assignment choices made, but doing all of the sequencing, sampling and sample manipulation live in real time. I actually think the OT is really good for that, with the one exception (and this is easily my biggest gripe with the OT in general) no way to copy a pattern into a location other than the current one so you can’t seamlessly build up variations of a pattern in real time very well, which is a big oversight but can absolutely be worked around. I definitely also find myself getting in to the trap of building up a looping pattern to the point where it’s very dense and not being able to gracefully pull it back to something simpler, because there aren’t enough tracks to build things up in many layers that can be muted and unmuted (in an MPC I’d devote 4-8 tracks just to snare or hi hat alone, for example, with a basic pattern spread across one or two tracks and increasingly complex embellishments spread across the rest to allow for a lot of improvised variation using track mutes), and you can’t easily make a simple pattern, paste it into a new pattern, add more, paste to a new pattern, and so on until you have a collection of variations that you can jump between on the fly. But there are other approaches using live resampling, playsfree tracks, arpeggiators, MIDI trigs with infinite duration, long delays with feedback at 127 used as loopers, and of couse all of the tricks possible with scenes or trig conditions, plus plenty more that I haven’t gotten to yet myself. It definitely takes a different approach than traditional MIDI sequencing or traditional X0X sequencing, though, and it’s easy to get to a point improvising where stuff is just too dense and you have no graceful way out.

Anyway, like you say different tools for different jobs but I would say I think you might eventually find that the OT is better for realtime composition than you’re realizing.

1 Like

Well, I wouldn’t go that far. Try going to the MIDI sequencer and playing a C on the 1 of a bar and then playing a G on the 3 while sustaining the C.

The OT has plenty of limitations but so does every other instrument (or technology in general) out there, and that’s fine. For me personally, I got an OT because of the limitations of using an MPC2000xl and I keep the MPC because of the limitations of using an OT, and I’m very happy with both and count them among the very few instruments I’ve ever own that I couldn’t see myself ever willingly parting with.

1 Like

umm no, I’d play that with an ext keyb, not internal OT trigs

Talking about live looping, not using the MIDI seq