Thom Yorke

To be fair it reads, “one of the first bands to seamlessly use both synths and rock instrumentation.” But still, there’s KISS, who joked that their fans hated synths yet never realised how heavily they were used in Kiss songs. That’s seamless right there. Didn’t hear too many VanHalen fans complain either.

Any ideas on creating a patch for dawn chorus? Love the warm synth tones, but can’t nail it down. Attmepted on a rev 2

Look up the “sitcom piano” patch and mess with that.

1 Like

Pink Floyd’s 1970s outings are what I’d call seamless. Animals alone… Christ. Richard Wright kills it. I’ve also recently had a Renaissance with that record lol–hearing it with fresh ears for maybe the first time in five years–before I even knew what a synthesizer was.

1 Like

I don’t think hyperbole is new in music journalism, particularly when trying to hype the importance of someone before interviewing them in order to sell your product.

4 Likes

Clearly radiohead invented it…:thinking:

3 Likes

Yep. Don’t you know the world started in the mid 80’s? :smiley: :smile:

2 Likes

Finally got around to listening to Anima. I like it. Very lush - almost like Moon Shaped electrified. Very Thom but also different. I’m happy for him, all of them. They seem comfortable in this late career phase: doing what they want to do without worrying about relevancy. Maybe wishful thinking but i hear the AR all over it.

Ya know with the news that theyre going through the Kid Amnesiac tapes again a la OKNOTOK I revisited them both. And while KID A is still great (but maybe now Ive been oversaturated with it?), tracks like Pulk/Pull, Pyramid and Spinning Plates are absolutely radical even by todays standards. James Blakes entire career seems to be chasing those tracks. When i first heard them I wasnt producing but now that I do I appreciate them even more. think the whole Aphx/Autechre-lite perjoratives were unfair. I am pumped for their 20 year releases.

9 Likes

I saw him live at Down The Rabbit Hole Festival a week back and it was sooo good. The set list was amazing and the live visuals were just out of this world. Go see him live if you get the chance!

Just watched the Netflix film.
Wow.

4 Likes

Just got round to watching Anima this evening. Genuinely gripping when Dawn Chorus starts. What a lovely tune. And of course, the rest of it was very enjoyable

2 Likes

Thom said Kid A was like watching a fire but Amnesiac was suppose to be like being trapped inside the fire. I think Kid A and even OKC are better start to finish albums, but Amnesiac has a few of my all time favorite songs and is often the cooler weirder one I ply for people who think they are too boring or what ever.

I was 13 when Hail to the Thief came out and it was my first real experience with drums machines and electronic songs being used for a sound other than dance or hip hop. It was the defining moment that started me on the path leading to a full love of elektrons sequencer and sounds, and electronics in general.

4 Likes

Backdrifts and the gloaming :heart:

4 Likes

The rhythm and texture to backdrifts is the specific song I heard as a kid and I maybe wonder, how the hell do I do that.

1 Like

I remember finding the Kid A 2x10" import vinyl and playing Idioteque as a closer in my techno sets (pre final scratch days).

And then seeing them perform that song on TV, with a giant Analog Systems 8000 modular on Saturday Night Live… mind blown.

Made for some fun chats on the Analog Heaven Hyperreal list serve.

5 Likes

Seriously. I watched that live on TV. Johnny rocked the f out of that thing.

Ive heard people argue that that performance single handidly brought modular back. I don’t disagree.

3 Likes

what was Johnny doing on that?.. it was hard to tell. was it a feed backing delay thing?

I half expected him to be swinging the f’er round his head.

brought modular ‘back’ … ? it disappeared? or just wasn’t trendy at that moment?

I disagree.

This basically.

good ol’ Johnny. I almost bought an Ondes Martenot because of him.

He’s got a lot to answer for.

So what was he doing on that AS8000 ?

Kickin ass and takin names.

It seems hes got that sequence goin and seems to be patching things in and out. Wrt to the “bridge” your guess is as good as mine. But knowing their penchant for feedback, maybe?

1 Like