"Things were easier back when I was young ..."

Hey, that’s a very interesting way to look at things!

1 Like

2 Likes

True story - there was once such a thing as a cassette tape to 8-track tape adapter. Don’t ask how I know or what kind of old beat-up cars I once had at my disposal…

2 Likes

I still have my original 12” Blue Monday floppy!

2 Likes

balloonellites? hows the reception?

1 Like

Peeling off the cellophane from a brand new TDK SA 90. Tuning the FM stereo like a sonar expert. Green light fades to red.

3 Likes

Who remembers this ? :smiley:

in some ways yes and other ways no

It only used to take about 45 minutes to load Road Rash from tape onto my C64… sometimes I didn’t turn it off for days to save time…

3 Likes

Ha! That’s what I was thinking about and then I see this! My family had one that looked like this:

2 Likes

I had some kind of Texas Instruments computer and these books of code you had to type in and then it would play very simple visual games. It had a cassette recorder that you could record the code onto after typing it or something like that, I barely remember, I was like five… When playing the tape back into the machine it would sound like a dial up modem… I think, it’s super vague in my mind…

Also had pong! The first home video game… :rofl:

How bout those graphics!

3 Likes

I vaguely remember the time when a floppy disk was actually floppy

1 Like

Back in those days, Rephlex label would only listen to your demoes if they were on minidiscs. Think about that : a record label asking you to send music in a lossy compressed format.

1 Like

Somewhere I have an original Gescom minidisc.

2 Likes

Cool topic here! - I used to sit for hours with my best mate reading the code from a magazine while he typed it in on his Commodore Vic 20 - we’d take it in turns and then save the game (dial up modem sounds haha) onto tape and then run it back on the computer hooked up to a 14"colour TV - did the same with a ZX Spectrum (very snazzy at the time) - actually had a ZX81 too. I even still remember how to code some things in Basic - We programmed in Assembly too… fun days!

I think Gridrunner was my fave game back then…

1 Like

https://web.archive.org/web/20010303212635/http://www.rephlex.com:80/demoinfo.htm

So I said something about floppy discs and went to bed and then I woke up to this :slight_smile: somebody call Jeff Minter, it’s time to bring in the llamas.

3 Likes

Things were definitely better back in the day. Shorter attack, higher sustain and don’t even get me started on the release :joy:

5 Likes

Haha, takes me back.

“Yes, I know this disc isn’t floppy, but no - it’s not a damn hard disc!”.

1 Like

And here’s where it all began, for Elektron and many of us as well.

7 Likes