"Things were easier back when I was young ..."

I’m gonna go ahead and reveal my growing age here by saying that goddamit if these things weren’t easier back when I was young. A floppy drive and a bunch of discs and you were covered until someone threw a magnet at you.

6 Likes

Or if you mum put the floppies on your speakers when tidying your room :joy:

8 Likes

It’s a wonder any disc kept its content for more than a week :blush:

2 Likes

11 Likes

What are those little square holes for?? pokes them out with screwdriver

In other news: “Floppy disks, the original Fidget Spinner” slides metal thingie back & forth all day long

6 Likes

That’s actually a pretty evolved floppy disk in a cartridge… They were even floppier before those… Haha

8 Likes

man, they even had a hole, perfect for spinning! proof that no idea is original

2 Likes

I’m 39, I grew up and watched computers evolve from floppies to iPhones, it’s pretty weird really…
There were no cd’s, phones had cords, no tv remotes you had a cable box with a wire, bunch of other stuff too. Super weird time to grow up as tech development exploded and saw it all happen…

Transfer App and plus drives is living in the future, it just doesn’t seem like it cause we never got hoverboards… :slight_smile: (to bring back to topic :wink:)

6 Likes

I know exactly what you mean! I’m just a couple years behind ya and my family got into computers pretty early on. but we didn’t have cable :frowning:

Actually me & wife were just talking last night, about how we kind of assume that technology will keep “advancing” at the rate we’ve seen it in our lifetimes or even faster, but I was thinking, what if the past 30 years have just been a spurt, and it’s just gonna plateau out with a decrease in creative technological advances… and we just happened to be alive and watch the “spurt” unfold. I dunno, seemed like a cool idea to me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

LOL I saw that split coming a mile away

Well now that we don’t have to stay on topic… anyone remember Minidiscs??? My dad thought he was hot stuff getting in on those when they were brand new.

2 Likes

Ahh, I helplessly go off topic but this is good stuff… I told a 14 year old just a few weeks ago about landline telephones and he didn’t know they exist, and I told him that’s all we used to have and he didn’t believe me… :smile:
That’s an interesting theory but it could also keep going faster, AI, quantum computers, etc… :thinking:

2 Likes

Thank you @PeterHanes:open_mouth::kissing_heart:

ugh… I still have an active landline phone … I don’t really need it but for some reason I can’t bring myself to cancel it…

2 Likes

I’ve never owned a cell phone and I’ve never sent a text, just a personal choice of mine…
I don’t want my present reality interjected with all sorts of other realities at any time causing me to have to decide if I should keep doing what I’m doing or do something else. I decide what I want to do that day and do it, check back in with people when I’m ready to do something else…

10 Likes

Good approach IMO :smiley:
I do have a cheap cell but mostly for emergency purposes “just in case” and never really use it.

By interjected realities you mean something like this?
“la la la, I’m driving my car, la la la, there’s other cars around me, la la la OH A FACEBOOK MESSAGE” looks down for 5 mins

I usually have a landline with an answering machine, I don’t even have one of those right now…
By interjecting realities I just mean I decide what I’m going to do for the day in the morning, say it’s going to visit a friend to play music. Once I decide that for the rest of the day I don’t want to get calls from other people wanting me to do something else, or telling me about some thing that has nothing to do with my personal present moment. I’ll catch up with them some other time and then they’ll get my full attention in person.

I do have a cellular IPad And people can email me, I’m actually in the national forest right now,… :smiley:
This is the view from sitting in my car as we speak…

Internet in the forest is living in the future…

11 Likes

The spurts will just spurt n spurt dude. We’re fu*ked!

1 Like

:heart:️ this thread

2 Likes

…punching another hole to double the capacity? :scream_cat::laughing:

4 Likes

Installing windows using like 20 floppies
Cycling through aol servers trying to connect
Tripping over the phone cord that has been stretch from the kitchen to the bed room

Ahh yeah good times

4 Likes