Theoryboard kickstarter

Is anyone using the TB chords with an arpeggiator? I haven’t yet, but will soon enough. I wonder what you’re using and how you’re using it?

Another variation on things i’ve been noodling with, is using the chord section of the TB with the melody part done on a standard keyboard.

This thing is weaponizing my ear training.

Pick a bizarre scale. Press a chord button on the TB, and then try to nail that chord on a standard keyboard by ear. You have a hint because you know the chord degree, but not the chord type or inversion. If you fluff it try again. Try other chords, or hit a key change button, or a mode change button, or change the inversion, or change the voice, and try another chord. (Going between two different voices increases the challenge.)

After you nail the chord, you can look at the TB screen and it will help you learn the name of the chord as well. Switch the hand playing the chord on the standard keyboard and do some more.

I’m already improving my ability to hear a chord and play it, getting the sound in my fingers. Plus i find it’s a fun challenge.

If you hear nice progressions doing this, play them in succession on the standard keyboard.

Also, after doing this practice for a while, i like to just improvise some, two hands, on the standard keyboard. I usually have some new ideas to try, and it gets me out of a rut.

I’ve had some training to be able to do this, but not a lot.

4 Likes

@Jukka I’m really liking it though I’ve mainly only puttered with it and have yet to record anything. I also still need to watch some of the tutorial videos as I don’t know what some of the inversion buttons do etc. I think I’ll do that tonight :slight_smile:

One thing that I’d really like would be the ability to quickly change MIDI channels (i.e. maybe a button combo?) as digging into the settings to change channels is a serious workflow killer. Also, I wish the last scale would be saved on restart.

1 Like

It has finally arrived! Have been playing around with it for a week and really like it. Have it connected to my Octatrack via the midi out.

A few thoughts:

• would be great if it remembered the last selected scale. It’s pretty confusing that nothing is active by default after you turn it on
  • Would be nice to be able control the polyphony (limit the number of notes in the chord) to make it easier to use with sequencers like the Octatrack that only handles four notes
  • Ability to control brightness! It is very bright, would like to be able to dim it.
4 Likes

this, and i’d really really like to ability to quickly change midi channels…like a button combo. digging into that menu is a real downer especially for something that i change regularly.

Absolutely – i wear blue blocking glasses – there’s an awful lot of blue in those LEDs. :sunglasses:

Love it though – real fun with the Hydrasynth. And it’s definitely improving my standard keyboard playing.

Does that mean you have to start with the default settings each time, setting up scales and midi channels? I have to change midi channels all the time. Still waiting for my TB to arrive, maybe they’ll provide a little update until then :wink:

It remembers the midi channel setup. The scale and key is done every time on power-up – but the key and mode buttons make changes fast once you’ve done the initial setup – if you are not making enormous changes.

Perhaps if the TB started in C Major for default. That with the key and mode buttons that would cover a lion share of use for most people.

It’s not a significant problem, these sorts of changes are quick to do, despite the dive. That is once i got used to the touch of the touch panel, and the approach they use for scrolling – which now improves with the new firmware.

As i noted earlier: Good idea if you want, to set the chord and the melody to different midi channels, otherwise they clash. Irijule could change that in firmware sometime, just un-nesting Note-On/Note-Off – but it’s not a bug.

So this brings up something else. What’s the delay on the PC version for firmware download? They said it was in a late testing stage. I know there’s the potential to brick the unit if the download fails disastrously but really what’s it take to get a download working reliably with the PC?

This definitely takes secondary status though to completing unit ship – hope you get your TB soon rennweg!

1 Like

Just got mine today. Very happy apart from the fact that the mini jack midi socket doesn’t work! I’m using the cable that came with the Microfreak. Can’t imagine it’s a proprietary cable but I’ve ordered another one to check.
As my set up is computer/DAWless it could have been very disappointing but luckily I have a Kenton Midi host so it’s not a complete disaster.
I’ve sent an email but it’s gonna be a real PITA if I have to send it back to the States. Anyone got any ideas re: cable comparability?
Pity they sacked off the Midi in socket as well, but hey…
But initial thoughts are this will be an extremely useful bit of kit (if I can get the wretched output socket working)

1 Like

Arturia uses Type B and Theory Board uses Type A – Why there are two types is because no one standardized in the first place. Type A is the preferred standard and hopefully everyone moves to that.

Your TB is more than likely just fine.

2 Likes

Your knowledge knows no bounds @Jukka! Thank you skip!
Happy New Year to you and your spreading of good news! :+1::crossed_fingers::star2:

1 Like

I don’t expect to get a unit that does not have the one or other thing to be improved, or ironed out, but so far it seems to work just fine as it is, so they have done a pretty good job with their first product, which it is I guess.

Lets hope they get the PC update thing right.

Did you guys buy a power adapter, or are you using USB to run the TB?

Thats the one I got and should do the job when my Tb arrives.

1 Like

Mine shipped with a US wallwart power cable so after nicking the Duchess’ electric toothbrush US to UK adapter I was good to go.
Just ordered a Make Noise Type A midi cable from Juno for £4.20. Bargain!!

1 Like

Is this what you are talking about? (for me with a german connection on the other side)
TB Adapter

1 Like

Exactly my man.

Thanks Chinchilla :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s the one. I ended up making my own.

The Reason: I prefer to have a TRS to MIDI DIN male cable, that’s long enough to do the job by itself. Then you don’t have to use a regular MIDI cable with a TRS adapter like this one, it’s just one cable.

More A/B MIDI Cable Trash

Ideally too it’s nice when you can use a regular TRS stereo cable on both ends. This works as long as both devices have the TRS MIDI sockets of the same type. Unfortunately this wouldn’t work between the TB and the MicroFreak. You’d need a special-built TRS to TRS cable. ARGH !

Here’s a good site from the MIDI standards body that shows about making your own cable:
https://www.midi.org/articles-old/updated-how-to-make-your-own-3-5mm-mini-stereo-trs-to-midi-5-pin-din-cables
This also lists which manufacturers use which standard.

I’ve also seen on youtube a tutorial on making a TRS DIN MIDI adapter with a switch to go between types. It would also be possible to make a TRS to TRS MIDI cable that would do the same thing with a switch.

1 Like

Thanks Jukka, I am glad I got the right one :wink:

Wonder why nobody manufactures TRS to MIDI DIN male cables, like the one you made. Meanwhile there should be more demand for these, just makes more sense, I only use adapters when I don’t have any other option.

1 Like

Irijule reports in their last update that they’ve now completed making all the Kickstarter orders – all 603 of them – and are now making and selling Theoryboards directly.

They also say:
We also have a couple other exciting products in the pipeline that will be released soon …

Since their company focus is on innovative products to assist in creative music making, it will be interesting to see what they come up with next.

Hopefully somewhere along the line they’ll get to finishing the PC version of their firmware downloader, and perhaps another firmware release.

Oh and there’s a TB for sale on ebay. <= ADDED: It’s gone now, of course.

1 Like

hopefully :crossed_fingers:, there’s a lot of room for improvement.

1 Like