Theory on Elektron's business strategy

I have this strong belief that Elektron are going to release a slew of machines similar to the Digitakt. I think the new strategy is to modularize the units they produce to a further degree while ultimately lowering the cost for each unit.

I think that there will be units that offer different specialties including different forms of synthesis, and effects processors similar to the AH. Since the units will be less costly and smaller, they’d be ideal to combine in different ways like Eurorack modules.

The soon to be released DT is literally what it is. It is not an OT replacement. There will likely be an actual OT replacement that will be more expensive and bigger.

Basically, the AH and DT are the first of Elektron’s “Modular” line of devices. They’re more limited and focused for specific purposes. There will be many more. But there will also be an updated OT soon imo.

5 Likes

I think you may be right.
I thought this the minute the Heat landed.
There are/is a lot of functions/uses/models already in the big boy boxes. Why not split them up? Why not minimise cost and divide the sum output? With a lingering promise of another daddy slab of excellence.

In a way, it’s great, pick your meal from the set menu.
In a way, it’s bad, why can’t I have this filling in that burger?

It’s a double edged sword, but as children of capitalism are we not just victims either way?

We only have so much we can give, no matter what’s on offer.
That may well be a metaphor, or not, those are the two options.

2 Likes

Agree. And I think it’s a good thing.

2 Likes

Yeh looks that way possibly. Dunno if it’s a good or bad thing yet tho. DT is missing some no-brainer basic ‘drum sampler’ stuff like slicing, kits, layers, insert fx etc etc.

I’m not down for having a million boxes. Don’t have enough money/space/time. Elektron need to be careful not to spread features too thin, especially looking around at the competition… They’ll sell a few either way, but they’d do better aiming to blow people away and knock out cheaper units that EVERYONE wants… It’s doable at affordable prices now. The hard part is the creativity/coding etc. Which Elektron seem like they’re at the front of the pack… up to them if they nail it from here…

Tbh I’d prefer they just focus on killer ‘big boxes’ like an OT2 or whatever they’re imagination might come up with. But fair enough if they need to think about the business side. As long as they don’t skimp too hard on the smaller units and cripple too much stuff then all good…

Yeah we are heading towards a bifurcated business model.
It is leading towards a two tier user base.

At the end of the day, mind, I own an OT, if the company only ever pissed into my kitchen after that I’d be only too happy so…
Back to the old double edged sword/ride two horses at once ‘vibe’…

In the end, I believe it’s quality that prevails.
If it doesn’t sound good, and if UX is not offering natural interaction, in the end the box will not last.

My preference goes for one that packs a lot of functionalities such as OT than more focused one.
But as small as it is, Heat offers a very wide amount of possibilities.
I can only guess forthcoming boxes will be as generous.

2 Likes

I agree, I would buy the AR synthesis models in a DT/AH box avec sequencer yesterday.
Let’s see.
I think really, the test for hanging on to your cash will be harder in the future…

did not mentioned this in my recent Digitakt Video, but im with you guys. This will surely be the way Elektron is moving now. And it makes sense. The Digitakt is cheaper, doesnt offer that much. People might buy it, they reach the limits of the machine pretty fast and at that point Elektron can say: Ok, the Digitakt doesnt fit you anymore, but look: Here’s the OT. It can do what you need. Win Win Situation. They sold them the Digitakt and later they also sold them the OT on Top :wink:

So this idea of a bifurcated business model you mentioned @rotallytuined is exactly the way they will go i think. Throwing out the smaller boxes on a more regular basis and every here and there throwing out a big box which does what the small ones do - and more! That would be the box the “hardcore” Elektron lovers would buy :slight_smile: And the new kids buying the smaller machines get a great incentive for finally getting the big one too.

OB Premium is literally the first indicator for that … i think.

I have the “bad” feeling that the opposite will happen :wink: Hence my post before. We can only wait and see how this will all turn out for them in the end. Personally i also dont like too much boxes around. But ease of use and specialization may speed up the creative process … hard to tell by now. But soon we will know :slight_smile:

I have the “good” feeling you guys know fuck all and Elektron will continue to be as diverse as ever.

Zero updates on the OT forevermore afaik.

I hope they will head back to the fab silver styling of the Monomachine and Machinedrum.

yeah - guess they’ll do some anniversary editions of those legends one day :slight_smile: that would be sick!

1 Like

:slight_smile: haha they already did.
i want to buy one. blue mnm, red md.

1 Like

ah shit. forgot those, dammit! :blush:

I shouldn’t have reminded you. Now there might be another Elektron fan looking for a blue unicorn :smiley:

nah, its ok :slight_smile:

but ok, lets then imagine they would bring an anniversary edition of the Rytm and the A4. In sleek silver and with Hector reviewing them! :smiley:

2 Likes

then and only then would i be happy.

although perhaps red for the AR and blue for the A4 would be a nice touch if they were to be anniversary editions.

I’m excited for that notion. Very precise purchasing. Their old system was great, but carried with it a lot of excess. Buy the aspects of the machines that you like. Works. I also like the idea of Elektron making more specialized machines that they couldn’t have made a “big box” of.

I’m definitely excited to see what they come up with next

if they made an effects box, hybrid with analogue and digital, it would be cool if they put extra/alt audio input options on the side panels with a switch to make each one active or not, to avoid the need to swap leads sometimes.

what about a Poll? But not started from us - from Elektron themselve! Imagine they throw out a poll in here, asking us which kind of machine we want next. We could then choose from several building blocks that they have in mind and the top voted combo will win and will then be built. Ah shit, im dreaming now :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Nah! They’d never give that much away. #HeatTeaser