The Virus TI2 desktop made me sell all my synths

Cmon Mike, stop chewin on those mung beans.
We want modern futuristic synthetic weapons of mass destruction :joy:

3 Likes

Haha!
Honestly I’d love to see those too, but they won’t make me think less of older gear…
(Although my mung beans are telling me they shouldn’t be used as weapons… :joy:)

My theories don’t exclude newer gear from being used, they just don’t require it for good music…

1 Like

Yes true, my music is shit so I need the best synth available to sound less shit :laughing:

1 Like

Virus is an instrument, most things fully controllable from front panel at an instant. Nothing kills creativity / spontaneity more than frigging around with a controller and vst trying to map something or get something to work.

Are you talking about the TI plugin haha :thinking::joy:

It’s a funny little realm with this electronic music gear…

I do think it’s fine to compare specs, workflow, sound quality, etc., to help people make good choices and find what they like or just to learn about what’s possible.
It’s just if somebody already likes something, other people’s opinions of how they don’t like this or that about it won’t necessarily matter to them, they already like it…

Yes a wise man once told me
“If it sounds good it’s good“
So deep, so profound, so true

2 Likes

Yea they seem like pretty incredible units… although from what I have heard they don’t quite go to the level of the roland ACB or the UH-e stuff as far as pure quality of sound. It does offer a ton of flexibility though. In a way it is the total opposite mentality of the roland stuff. Depending on what you want to make TI virus is still one of the best of the best.

really? @umonox i Totally disagree with you maybe the dinosaur is not your cup of tea. and maybe access forget synthesis but a lot of great records, musicians and studios have the Virus Ti in his different flavors.

serum is nice but you can’t compare software with real synths if you play live with serum and a shitty computer you’re more than dead. The Polar never crash for me playing live with computer completely kills the vibe and with the virus is so much fun and sounds big. Maybe for synthesis Serum is great i recognize it.

1 Like

I’ve never owned one, however every demo I’ve heard of the TI2 sounds dated and trance-y. I know there’s more flexibility than that but the basic sound people coax out of it leaves me totally cold.

I’d like to spend some time with it in person to see if my opinion changes though.

People keep on saying the “quality” of the TI isn’t as good because it’s out-dated, and that doesn’t really register with me. I’m not interested in how “analog” the virus can sound; I’m mostly intrigued by how uniquely digital it sounds in an organic way.

I also already stated how I prefer its darker tone to the Nords, which some may think of as higher quality due to the stronger mid/high frequencies.

I most enjoy the wavetables with the complex grain and formant modes. What other synths can do this? People compare the Virus to the Peak, but the Peak can’t sound like a synth with two filters. I love the saturation algorithms for the filter in conjunction with the master distortion, and I really like the ones that embrace being digital.

For instance, check out this vid. Tell me what about these oscillators sounds so dated or not special.

3 Likes

You haven’t owned the Peak though?
I’ve owned TI2 and Peak and still own the Peak.
It just sounds better, I mean it should, technology has advanced a lot in 13 years.
No need to try and defend the TI with videos mate. Everyone commenting has owned one over the years, and knows exactly how it sounds.
It’s still a great synth. Enjoy it

1 Like

That’s nonsense though. You can’t just say something sounds better when sound is totally subjective. They sound different.

Ok you win, it sounds different :grinning:

That would’ve been a pointless conversation; I’m glad we didn’t have to have it. It’s not like I couldn’t have saved myself $400 or so, and gone with the Peak. I already mentioned how I was considering one instead of the TI2. I ultimately preferred the TI2 though, and the second filter was a notable reason that had to do with it.

Virus TI2 is a beast with many faces
Peeps be hating

2 Likes

Yep no regrets, the TI still sounds good…for a dated dinosaur…haha just jokin mate :joy:

1 Like

Will someone from @psyclone001’s regime please inform him that the Virus too has wavetables, but they are much bigger & more powerful than the Peak’s :joy:

1 Like

But my dick’s much bigger and more powerful than yours.
Can I say that here? :thinking::joy:
I think we’re going to have to sort this out with a good old fashioned ‘sword’ fight :crossed_swords:

1 Like

Sorry, just wanted to spoof our combative POTUS. No penises please. It’s kind of hilarious how what I said made you react that way though lol.