The Vinyl Thread

Not amazing, but my little setup. Been searching for my favorite albums of all time, but DAMN some of them have crazy prices. Tool Aenima is like $500! I’m so sad I missed it on Yahoo Auction here in Japan for a little over $100…

The little amp has 3 other components. 2 of which I gave to my father in law. An MD player and a CD player, but I’ve been on this old school physical media kick recently, so I bought the tape and CD player compenents used. I’m looking for another MD player, but since this series is so cheap, I’m in no hurry.

2 Likes

I am a big vinyl fan, and have collected records for decades now. Mostly Techno and House music, but other genres as well. Vinyl is also my primary music medium as a DJ.

2 Likes

I bought a Audiotechnica LP60 for my daughter. It’s the usb version but they do a Bluetooth version. I’m quite impressed with it, and it has a good stylus by AT which means replacements are easy to source.

It’s obviously not a DJ deck but for simple listening and ease of use I think it’s good value.

3 Likes

My favourite recordstore:

And setting up a discogsstore. Not much yet. Trying to set up shipping and policies and stuff first.

Reloop has some very good DJ Turntables for the price. I own a rp8000mk2 and a Technics and Vestax owning friend says it’s awesome everytime he uses it.
They have a belt driven bluetooth one too. I think if you aren’t in the audiophile scene or want to scratch on it, it should be fine.

built-in bluetooth, usb and riaa
To have the highest possible quality, I would avoid any on-board solution

• The riaa preamps have a large responsibility in the final sound, a good one often cost more than the turntable itself.
  • Having a USB out basically means having an audio interface inside the turntable: no thanks, I prefer to use mine, which I know is of high quality.
  • Bluetooth uses the aac codec, this means signal compression: the result is irreparable damage to the sound. Avoid at all costs
3 Likes

İ love playing vinyl. İ regularly have 3 vinyl only gigs every month. İ have a selection from jazz ambient to harsh noise and 240bpm hardcore. İ love collecting jungle/electro idm/garage and techno. So this is just me expressing my love for vinyl🤍

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree with all of thus but if you only want a budget turntable to listen to the occasional record on then usb and Bluetooth are going to get you up and running and it’s likely no worse than streaming from Amazon music through your Dot.

If you like it then you can spend more later… just like synths :grin:

2 Likes

Oh no this is the last thread I need haha. @aarb420 will want some of this action.

For those not in the know we run a bi-weekly sampling thing which involves us digging into our collection and pulling out some… gems!

For those with the crossover love of random records and making music be sure to check those out

Here’s the latest! Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 10 | Ashford & Simpson - So So Satisfied

We also did a record exchange this Christmas which landed me some real tasty numbers that I’ll treasure forever.

My tip: £1 bins. There’s so much good stuff in the cheap section - lots of good 12" singles or EP’s of recent releases of people you won’t have heard of but that make cool music. I consider new albums an extravagance I reserve for my most loved music, the rest of my collection is bargain hunting. In the UK you can get a lot of Northern Soul and stuff like that pulled from jukeboxes - I keep meaning to buy a joblot.

5 Likes

İ guess the Best solution could be another turntable with a Usb connection aside from a vinyl dj setup for easy access and sampling fast

I have the same, very happy, exemplary value for money.

Not a very big collection here, most of the records from Aphex and Ae, Du Roy Of The Ravers and almost the whole 030303 catalog for elegant Acid and some Jazz gems: Chick Corea, Weather report… Finally incongruous and funny discs.

All this has one thing in common, the enormous listening pleasure, always a great moment. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

The only sad thing is speculation, whether on Jazz records yet printed in large numbers or on current records printed with too few copies whose price explodes the day after the finished stock. :neutral_face:

1 Like

I ditched all the plastic sleeves, a part of me felt like they were keeping my collection too precious, I kinda wanted to see the sleeves get some dents and history and marks and stuff. also it was like everything was hidden behind plastic, now they’re just on the shelf as the record itself.

vinyl’s good for when the internet goes out :smiley: some days I just can’t be arsed with screens, and vinyl is great for that. u need to actively mix vinyl to keep things going, but I only have one deck, I should probably invest in a mixer and a second turntable so I can do this. otherwise I mostly listen to long form mixes online

but yeah, if it’s in your collection, its nice to just be able to reach for it and throw it on. I will say vinyl is terribly expensive these days, maybe even prohibitively so. as a non-DJ I probably only buy a handful of records per year. I’d buy more if they were cheaper that’s for sure. but sometimes it’s just like, $200 for 3 records. it’s bananas.

mostly when mates come over we pull out records as well.

sometimes I wonder about it though. it does feel like a luxury to have it. it is more rustic, and I do like the idea of it existing without internet or a screen. but at any moment you can have the entire worlds music collection with a tap of the finger, it can make vinyl hard to justify, it can wind up feeling dated, too. like some records start to feel like, something from the past and you don’t listen to it anymore.

it’s almost like you need to create anti screen or anti networked spaces for vinyl to thrive in, like a lo-fi holiday shack it just lives at. but I dunno if I was a DJ I suspect I’d feel very different

2 Likes

I have the Audio Technica at-lp120usb, It’s works great!
My record collection is not that big also, same that you Simon, lot of Aphex, AE, Squarepusher, Vibert, Dopplereffekt, Arpanet, …
I have some gems like a Drukqs in mint condition, the Syro’s box and almost all the Analord serie.
I love to dig on discogs, I think I’m hooked on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

Got more of my collection onto discogs tonight. Sold most of my electronic stuff while back in a bulk sale. I find that stuff was easiest to sell and most interest from people

2 Likes

I feel very different when I listen to vinyl than when I stream. I feel a commitment to listen to the whole side at least, instead of skipping to another track or album like with streaming.

I also sit and listen, instead of doing something else at the same time. Today it rained all day, so after I was done with work, I listened to a few LPs and it was so relaxing. Like a meditation, because it both felt like I was doing something, but also taking a break.

For context, unless I’m doing something, I get twitchy. I like to stay busy. I used to slow down with a drink, but I quit that a long time ago. And this week, when I got a record player again, was the first time in probably a decade where I’ve been able to just sit and chill.

6 Likes

Lots of good stuff there.
DJ Krush must be so good on vinyl…
Meizo :yum:

4 Likes

Indeed, vinyl is about the experience of listening.

It’s as much about the tactility, artwork, and liner notes, as it is about the music. You have to slow down, if you’re to listen to music on vinyl. It’s mechanical and immersive…

I’d take a dozen albums on vinyl over a million songs on Spotify, any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. :wink:

Cheers!

5 Likes

I got rid of my vinyl in 2011 when I moved abroad again. Some great stuff I sold for a pittance. Moved to london 2019 and started over. Like many a mix of oddities, charity shop bargains and select classics. It sounds better, to me.