The Vinyl Thread

Decent magazine this…

Thanks @natehorn lmao

Here’s my baby:

Base Technics SL 1400 MKI that has been modded excessively to be as close to it’s more revered sibling, the 1200, as possible. 1200s are obviously superior (and I have an MK4 project in the works, slowly… parts are expensive), and so are the Reloop direct drives, the motor mechanism on the two are like arm wrestling Arnold, in comparison to the 1400s, and similar models.

Some of the mods include:
-Stripping the internal automatic return mechanism to make the tt manual for scratching ease
-On/off switch for the motor (has a matching orange halo light but it isn’t powered properly and still haven’t got around to fixing it after a few years :older_man: ). The button functions properly.
-Technics SL 1200 no-ground PCB mod and replaced stock audio out cables with old thick RCA cables sitting in the garage from the 90s that I still haven’t properly fitted
-Appliance spray paint from home depot
-Custom made aluminum badge from a cool seller on ebay
-Stokyo Superseal Sticker on Counterweight :pinching_hand:
-Adding cute knob covers/thick feet to replace the OEM absurdities
-M44-7 for the hippy hop, that arrived bent from bad seller, and I had to repair

But, it also has a broken tonearm adjustment cover/ arm lock.

If I can recommend anything to any of the modders here reading, approach your projects with a permanent basis in mind vs. temporary. I find things tend to remain in a temporary state more often than not. Also learned that not covering exposed cable joints properly could result in some wild sparks from this turntable. You literally need a cut power cable to weld, no need for fancy equipment! :baby:

4 Likes

:ok_hand::ok_hand:

1 Like

Vinyl used to be cheap and exciting… now its expensive and frightening.

3 Likes

There are plenty of bargains to be had in the used section of a record store - or even on discogs.

If you’re looking solely for the latest releases, there’s not much you can do. But, for prior releases, there’s plenty of stuff for decent prices. Go back further and get into 45’s and there’s a TON of great music and those old 45’s are often CHEAP!

1 Like

I like what Devon Turnbull is doing with OJAS

Ironically, I was more in debt and out of control when it was cheaper and more accessible (most likely due to being young and stupid). I used to be spending £50 - £60 a week and now it’s down a couple of ‘select’ records a month. :slight_smile: Totally agree that the prices are pretty excessive all-in-all but what isn’t these days :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It’s good to see that we’ve learned from our mistakes.

:wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

My new turntable arrived without a cartridge, which I wasn’t expecting.

I bought one, and fitted it, and I can’t believe how tricky it is. Getting everything aligned, while working with a delicate unit that can be ruined with one wrong move.

I’m a handy person, I can repair film cameras and computers, but this was a real challenge. I’m surprised anyone does it themselves.

Anyway, new setup sounds great!

2 Likes

I recently got my 30 yr old SL1210MK2 completely overhauled which cost me about 50% of the price of a new unit. I have since started buying vinyl again, but I try to limit myself to stuff I consider “seminal”. So far I have bought

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces of a Man
Paperclip People - Bug in the Bassbin
Needs Retrospective
Mad Mike ft. Davina - Don’t you want it
The Winstons - Amen, Brother
V.A. - Superdiscount
Ashley Beedle & Earl Zinger - Ghostdancers
Chez Damier & Stacey Pullen - Forever Mona

Slippery slope…

4 Likes

I’ve lost count long time ago. I guess, there’s around 2000-2500 vinyls there. I have this policy of ”one in, one out”. Every time I buy something new, I need to get rid of something that I don’t listen to anymore. Preferably from a nearby alphabet.

There’s all kinds of music from Laraaji to Atheist. Jazz to techno, ambient to death metal, stoner rock to hiphop. Just yesterday I bought (more like brought home) the first ep from Godflesh and Aqualung by Jethro Tull.

I’m turning 50 next year and I have no kids that would inherit my collection. I also own a second hand pop culture shop where I could easily sell all of these for a very very good price. When I turn 70 in twenty years there’ll be no one to sell my Napalm Deaths and my Kraftwerks to because all the dudes who used to listen to those will also be in their 70s. So I need to offload my collection before that time comes.

15 Likes

I hope that shelf is screwed to the wall or you might not even make it to 50 :wink:

5 Likes

Personally, I’d be worried about the hyena a lot more.

9 Likes

Nice to see a vinyl thread!

I started dj’ing in the late 90’s with vinyl off course…because when you wanted to do it right, there was no other way :slightly_smiling_face:

Bought most of my records in the late 90’s and early 00’s… think I was addicted to buying and playing records at the time and spend all my money on the black gold in those days. It was mostly electro, idm, techno and d&b.

Due to a hearing trauma I had to stop dj’ing in 2003.

Almost didn’t buy any records until about 5 years ago when I started dj’ing again occasionally.
Got in to jazz and also electro-acid-IDM again after a period of stoner and psychedelic rock and now these days I mostly buy jazz and electronica/IDM records and about everything from the Notwist.

So that’s a little history about my vinyl journey…Still love it and it’s my favorite way I like to DJ and just listen to some music.

Although prices are getting ridiculous for some new releases(I skip those), I think I’ve bought about a +/-100 records a year in the past 5 years.
The first ones for this year arrived today… :grin:

Maybe it could be good idea to share your latest vinyl purchases in this thread?
It could be a way to let other vinyl lovers discover releases that they might have missed or just a nice way to discover some new music/artists? (just a thought…)

6 Likes

I used to have this shelf full of records but on its side with technics and mixer on top. They were on cases but then a perfect height for mixing. Great price also

I’m in a similar boat, but I’d never part with my records. What happens to my music collection and my instruments after I’m gone is someone else’s problem.

But I’ll be indulging them to the bitter end, come hell or high water.

:wink:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Any jazz fans out there been picking up any of the Blue Note Tone Poets or Classic Series that have been released over the past couple years? All analog direct from the master tapes. They sound just fantastic.

Normally it doesn’t much matter to me if records are pressed from a digital source. Especially given that there are hardly any pure analog recordings produced anymore. But getting these old jazz records pressed straight from the tapes is wonderful.

6 Likes

No, but now I’m totally going to check them out.

Related: how do you folks who also use streaming choose which records you will buy on vinyl?

1 Like

I have some old jazz records cut onto a metal type acetate with had made covers. Cant find them as actual releases. Had some blue note ones but they broke over the years

1 Like