The things you misunderstood in ancient times

When I learned to tune my guitar, I would try to keep it tune all the time and before jamming to records. But there were songs that no matter how much I kept my guitar in tune, and even though I knew the proper chords used on those songs, my guitar would always sound slightly out of tune. For the first 3 years or so that I was learning music, the guitar, etc. in the early 90s, I thought that I just simply didn’t know how to tune my guitar properly. It never dawned on me that some songs may not be tuned at 440 at all, either deliberately or arbitrarily, haha.

And you?

8 Likes

Hitting the drums way too bloody hard. Theres just no need, at all.

12 Likes

Thinking that banks are safe. Got in a little tax trouble once and the government froze my account and took all my money at once. Wasn’t even really my fault, all came down to a misunderstanding, but in the end didn’t mean shit. The money was gone and I never got it back.

6 Likes

I once thought the Eddie Money song was “Two Chicks and a Pair of Dice”. :hatching_chick: :hatching_chick: :game_die: :game_die:

4 Likes

Fucking MIDI.

8 Likes

Assume you mean that as an adjective and not a verb, because yep, that’s quite the misunderstanding.

15 Likes

Guitar pedals and distortion. I literally thought there was one type of distortion and it was an on or off type of deal. I had no idea there were literally thousands of flavors of it, which is pretty hysterical now looking back on it.

3 Likes

I’ll never be good at cling wrap.

7 Likes

I had a business once where I was using cling wrap like 2-4 hours everyday. There is no being good at cling wrap.

8 Likes

Well that does make me feel better, because I’m sure I won’t get better with practice.

2 Likes

I thought there was a song by The Go-Gos called Alex the Seal

3 Likes

cv and gate

I don’t even want to click the little heart button on your post, because that’s just awful! Must have been terrifying

2 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t post it for the hearts, more as fair warning (mostly to myself) that it ain’t all sunshine and roses in the land of milk and honey. Thanks for the sympathy my dude.

1 Like

What it means to be an artist.

8 Likes

muahaha.

there’s a Motley Crue song where the chorus goes, “got a piece of her action” but I always hear “got a peaceful erection”…

2 Likes

It is fun though. Did that too a lot, to get rid of excess energy I guess.
Also back then most metal drummers played hard, unlike nowadays.

i played the piano as a kid, then started playing bass in my first punk band when i was 16. i think it was about the time i was 28 that i finally realized that 1 fret = 1 semitone just like on the piano :smiley:

12 Likes

Getting 2 turntables in the late 90s to dj thinking the pitch was a volume fader and realising I needed a mixer too

6 Likes

One of the funniest misconceptions I’ve ever heard was that some beginner drummer had told this other dude that he finally thinks he understands 7/8 time signature and had started counting the basic Iron Maiden type of beat like Ooone, two, three, four, five, six, sev, Ooone, two, three… simply tying the last and first beat together.

I used to think that everything must be very complex in order to be good.

2 Likes