The things you misunderstood in ancient times

Try to jam and mix with the sound of personal favorite reference tracks in the back of my mind. Aiming for sound that’s mixed AND mastered sucked the hell out of my confidence in this process. Someone should educate me earlier about those, obvious, totally different processes.

2 Likes

Thinking anybody cares as much about quality standards as you do, or will even notice.

10 Likes

Saving up my pocket money to finally buy a delay pedal that I could stick in front of my overdriven amp to give me instant Dave Gilmour lead guitar tones. Why does this delay sound so distorted!?!? Must be faulty!!!

1 Like

That leapy melodies and chords were good when it’s actually pretty much the least movement that is conventionally good.

2 Likes

Trying in vain to palm-mute my strings to achieve the silence between heavily distorted metal guitar chords, not realising that gates were a thing.

4 Likes

I converted to Press and Seal, life changing.

4 Likes

They didnt return it?? is that legal?

1 Like

Thinking that an 808 would sound like the 808 on my favorite records right out the box.

3 Likes

Thinking $1M was actually a lot of money. Even worse, that trading most of your life chasing any sum is worth more than finding a way to do something you love that earns just enough to sustain and fulfill you.

Luckily, I learn quickly.

2 Likes

For years I read Word Clock as World Clock :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

For decades I sought fulfillment through work. What a crock of doo-doo.

9 Likes

Oh boy. This must have been quite mind blowing when you realized it, eh? :smiley:

1 Like

It took me a few years to realize that a lot of what I thought was an analog sound was actually DX7/FM.

7 Likes

it was indeed, before that i just thought “well that fret is a different note than that other fret, who cares, i’ll just play the same thing as the guitar player”. suddenly it all made sense and i also realized that powerchords were just an octave and a fifth.

1 Like

Simply everything

5 Likes

MIDI. I saw a store advertising MIDI, so I asked what it was, and they told me it was something to do with time code, blah blah blah. It kind of went in one ear and out the other. I also didn’t have Internet, and therefore I wasn’t able to learn more about it, or how someone might use it. So for a while MIDI was just this mystical thing that just kind of existed in the same universe, but we didn’t really understand each other.

5 Likes

that there is in fact a difference between the gain knob and the volume knob

2 Likes

i was employed as a professional musician/educator for several years (early/mid 20s), before it really clicked for me what a chord was. or what the difference between harmony and melody was

took me a few years with modulars until it clicked why you would mult your v/oct sequence to the filters v/oct also. harmonic series rules

1 Like

Apparently. I was younger at the time, it was said that they overpaid me on my return, but they waited until I received a direct deposit from work then froze my account and took all the money at once. I never again enrolled in a direct deposit for anything else since that time.

1 Like

Because I’m not wearing my glasses and my vision is blurry, I read “Apparently I was younger” and laughed, until my vision focused and saw the period…