The Syntakt Ambient thread

I’m giving it another go now, though. It’s working out better this time around.

But I think it’s worth saying, whatever melodic and harmonic abilities the Syntakt have and however clever any future creatives will be on how to work within those limitations, with the current feature set, this isn’t a chords and leads instrument. Just because you can bend its circuits in a certain direction, doesn’t mean it’s a challenge worth taking.

The Tempest has been around for over a decade and people have been very creative with it down the line, in terms of doing non-percussion stuff, polyphonic compositions and whatever. But the results are always “You can do that on a Tempest?”, less “Wow that’s just plain good, period.”

So for me, it comes down not to trying to push a machine because I can, but to find out if it works with my own perception of my musical voice.

But slow or abstract ambient can definitely benefit from creative percussion and drum patterns, and the FX block to boost with that adds a tremendous lot of movement to a genre that’s very much about being almost its own organism, when a track works.

6 Likes

Why make life hard for yourself. Life is challenging enough. Keep it simple. Yes chords and ambient are sublime.

2 Likes

Even if Elektron threw in true polyphony here, it wouldn’t be all that interesting in the long run. I spend one second with my Prophet 12 and I’m thinking, why would I even want to bend the Syntakt chord machine to beyond its limits? It sounds about average compare to even an average poly synth.

I realise this isn’t a fair comparison, but I’m making it anyway to put some perspective on this all in one euphoria over these groove boxes. Just accepting what it’s really good at and mastering that, thinking how it can combine to your overall sound, rather than being hell bent on twisting it into something it’s not, usually works out better.

For me, I should add, I suppose :slight_smile:

7 Likes

A sampled chord from a Prophet in the Syntakt would go a long way. But alas.

1 Like

You know it.

1 Like

Late May you’ll hear the ST running my P~6 :wink:
Kind of worried the ST is going to vanish in a slow motion blizzard of P~6 + OB~6 love.

2 Likes

I make ambient. Not sure when my ST will drop…hopefully not too long.

I don’t have any concerns re. polyphony or anything like that - my favourite synth for ambient is the Easel Command. It has two oscillators. It’s monophonic. Stick it through a bunch of pedals…wow.

Now I’m not expecting the sort of of stellar raw oscillator tone you get from a Buchla in the ST…but that’s not really the point. It’ll just be about coaxing two or three beautiful, or gnarly, tones per song out of this for me. From what I’ve seen, there’s more than enough firepower in total in the ST for this. If I’m wrong, then I guess I’ll just be re-selling.

6 Likes

Anyone know if the drone trick (1st Inf etc) works i got it to work I.e. drone infinity with the Bits machine but could not get it to work with the other digital voices, I guess the machines Chord and Toy won’t do this because of the nature of the synthesis? Hope I’m wrong, have not tried the Analog Machines yet.

Look, I tried. And failed -

13 Likes

Nice! I’d call that ambient-ish. I have enough modular/drone/ambient instruments, so I’m more interested in following other paths with the Syntakt–and your track gives a nice idea of the possibilities.

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: yeah, the reason I’m keeping it is that I actually don’t need more gear to make the stuff I’m already making. But I have wanted to explore rhythm with my textures for some time and the Syntakt is the best candidate so far.

So I’ll be dropping this whole “Syntakt Only”-thing soon and merge it with some other kits and see where it goes.

1 Like

I have tried some Syntakt ambient lately, and here are some thoughts:

• Dual VCO, chords, TONE, BITS and UT Noise can do long/infinite sounds, and are more appropriate than short percussive sounds overall (@circuitghost proves me wrong)
  • the FX track is really nice to treat the sounds you send to it. In particular, I like to use it on FX set with long tails.
  • I like to use the Delay as a recorder, with time set to 127 and feedback to noon.
  • using different retrigs with short percussive sounds such as the toy piano can be nice to set an atmosphere, especially with long release on amp envelope.
  • setting the Velocity mod macro is a no brainer to give access to 4 parameters simultaneously on the velocity mod keys! It opens the way you play a track.

Edit: in fact, any synth machine can do infinite sounds with amp env set to ADSR!

6 Likes

Also, Ctrl All is a beast on this one. There’s just something about synthesized drum sounds compared to samples. I haven’t felt so groovy since I worked the Beat FX mode on the Tempest.

2 Likes

Wow. Great tips ya’ll, looking forward to try all of these out!

AMBIENT IT DOES AMBIENT

38 Likes

Beautiful track! :pray:t4: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Slow the tempo as slow as it goes, Ctrl-All amp envelope attack to nearly max, everything with modulated delay and reverb at 100%… boom, ambient.

(only half kidding)

1 Like

Speaking of ambient, I was just looking for Syntakt examples on YouTube and came across this… hard to imagine the ST making pad/atmosphere sounds with the weight and depth of these DN patches. Would love to be wrong though.

6 Likes

not really ambient by my definition but some would call it that.
I couldn’t avoid using drums on my first track with the syntakt either.

Hope you enjoy !!

39 Likes

Super chill track—nice work! I have no problem calling it ambient.