The Role Playing thread

Hi there,
So, since there isn’t any dedicated thread about pen and paper RPG, I thought it would be a good idea to start one.

When I was younger I wanted to play so badly, but my enthousiam wasn’t shared by my friends a the time. And then covid came, and RPGs became a way to maintain a social life , through visio conference first and when the lockdown was finally over, around a real table.

I improvised myself as the GM, and overall the experience was ( still is) awesome.

With my table we started to play the role play adaptation of the french graphic novel “Donjon” by Joan Sfar and Lewis Trondheim , mostly because it was the only RPG that I had at the time. The game mecanics were very simple and it proved to be perfect for beginners. If you don’t know about these graphic novel I can’t recommand it enough, there is an english edition here DUNGEON – NBM Graphic Novels

It feels as first like a Dungeons and dragon parody, with anthropomorphic animals, but it has it’s specific tone, and what makes it special is that the serie expand through a very vast array of time (basically you can follow characters when they are babies, to grown up , then old and the ambiance really changes too, to med fantasy at first , then postapocalypic setting.

Then we started playing other, more traditional games, like Tale from the loop, DnD , Alien.

But the game I enjoyed the most is by far Warhammer fantasy roleplay, I really love the game setting, the dirty hopeless ambiance and the fact that players are really defenseless against the chaos forces.

What about the games you like to play ?

20 Likes

@Ryan uses his ability complement.

He says something like “hey, this is a great idea for a thread!”

15 Likes

Always loved RP games. Haven’t played that many.
Guess I was a huge PITA as a player, at that time.
Lots of ideas. LOTS.

4 Likes

A recent game discovery that I enjoyed is Shadow of the Demon lord, similar in terms of ambiance to warhammer, but with easier set of rules that lean toward a very simplified version of DnD. I only GM’d with this game once, but it was overall a good experience.

1 Like

I like it but don’t get much opportunity these days. :frowning: The Star Wars games were always fun outside of the wizards of the coast stuff.

My kids play regularly (we normally have a full house of teenagers most weekends) - they are all into a game called Zweihander.

2 Likes

Yes, the time to play is reducing too these days, but after realizing that we played actually more during the pandemic, I re-introduced the RPG session through zoom once a week to my party, and it’s great. When we meet IRL I try to do more epic sessions.

2 Likes

Ahah , I think that as a player I am pretty bad too

1 Like

I started playing DnD when i was 13, tried WoD didn’t like it, then Shadowrun and i had a good crew of shadowrunners. Took a long hiatus, started playing 3rd edition Dnd, then Pathfinder, then Starfinder. I didn’t like 4th ed. DnD, too much with the cards? I haven’t tried 5th ed yet, might try to pick up some games locally? I think Pathfinder 1st ed and Starfinder are my favorites.

3 Likes

I got into D&D via the 80s cartoon and those Choose Your Own Adventure-style D&D books when I was a kid. Then started playing AD&D when I was around 11. I’ve played all the iterations of that throughout the years in addition to Marvel Super Heroes, Top Secret, D20 Modern, and Cyberpunk 2020. But my favorite so far is one that I got into most recently… Call of Cthulhu!

Oh, almost forgot… another fun one that I recommend is one that I played recently at a Game Con the local library put together… 2400 Orbital Decay. Check it out if you like sci-fi horror movies like Alien and The Thing!

4 Likes

I played D&D a bit as a kid in the 80s, starting with Mentzer’s Basic Red Box. Fast forward to the pandemic and I start DMing for my friends. Haven’t stopped since. Still playing the same edition!

4 Likes

@Zijnvelt casts ‘personal reality check’

I would love to role play more, but currently my life is all about role playing being a musician lol

3 Likes

As I don’t have any friends :zonked: I have resorted to solo RPGs…a more narrative experience.
Currently playing (on and off),
Ironsworn Starforged

and 1000 Year Old Vampire

Love the fact that I can just pick these up like a good book or leave them for ages and continue when I have a moment.

5 Likes

Playing on and off since I was 10, so over 30 years. Music being the primary pursuit makes it tricky sometimes to commit to a regular game, but as I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to embrace letting music not be so central.

SO…for the last 2+ years I’ve been running a game locally (Louisville) of Old School Essentials, which is basically B/X D&D with cleaner organization and writing. We’re having a blast and it’s always good to sit around a table and be goofy with old and new friends. Play some online since game groups are hard to hold together and some more niche games are hard to find interest in. I find online can often lend itself to being a bit more serious, which can scratch a different itch, since you’re playing with relative strangers.

4 Likes

Love this thread!

I love reading TTRPGs in the hope that someday I will run one or play in a group. Currently I’m reading Delta Green and Call of Cthulhu (I love horror).

I’m also reading a solo rpg called VOID 1680 AM. It’s a zine game where you broadcast a radio show, complete with callers and a bespoke playlist. Very cool stuff!

1 Like

There really needs to be some sort of bell that rings when you go up a level in that game :grinning:

@Ryan Level 9 musician:

Unlocked ability You just don’t get it
Deflect all criticism and gain a chance for an advantage

3 Likes

I always wanted to play that more, but we never really played it much. I had the rule books, and always liked the add-ons that got published in the GW magazine. Is it still popular?

I used to play a TON of AD&D when I was young, and also other systems like Heroes Unlimited and the Star Wars RPG, but mostly D&D. I recently started DMing D&D again so they my nephew could try it, so I’m reliving my youth!

4 Likes

I used to really enjoy pen and paper D&D back in the 80’s and 90’s but after a long time of no one to play it with I just started getting pretty into reading the novels (mostly forgotten realms) and read a bunch of them.

I went through a purge like 15 years ago where I sold a bunch of shit and made an extreme tactical error in listing what turned out to be an extremely rare module that I included with a D&D boxed set that I was selling.

Apparently in 1992 I sent away for this mail-in module called The Jade Hare which was just a single page fold-over with no cover and 4 printed sides that came in a TSR envelope with a thank you letter. I had apparently stashed that with a boxed set and was not wise to the fact that it’s considered the lowest print official module or something along those lines and before I figured it out, it was already sold.

This was definitely mint condition and whether it actually sells at these prices or not I don’t know but just saw one in “vg+” with none of the provenance going for $800 so as they say, easy come easy go. Apparently, they only ever made something like 4 of them with covers and in 2018 one sold for $18,600 so I guess at least it wasn’t one of those ones :smiley:

2 Likes

Selling a lot of my old RPG collection in 2012 allowed me to dive into modular. No regrets at all and kept the essentials and just culled the random excess. Could probably stand to do that again :eyes:

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Powered by the Apocalypse and Forged in the Dark games. I love the way they encourage you to set each other up for dramatic moments, and how focused they tend to be on their setting/concept

1 Like

Used to play AD&D, B/X D&D, Star Frontiers, Merc, The OG Middle Earth RP (MERP), Traveller, etc back in the 80s. Stopped for 20 years because I concentrated on music and other things. Then I discovered Burning Wheel Fantasy Role-playing system around 2008 or so and played that a lot less than I wanted to due to lack of players. Really love the system and feel though. Last year, I actually started writing/designing my own original game, and I’m about 46,000 words into it, though I put in down for months. I still want to finish it.
Under the guise of research for my original game, I’ve started to run games of Coriolis-Third Horizon with my partner. It’s been really fun getting back into it. Great thread, thanks for starting!
Also, I have long thought it would be cool to release an music album geared toward atmospheric sounds for TTRPGs.

7 Likes