The Prodigy's Keith Flint dies aged 49

no doubt, getting older stinks.
party’s winding down and an early exit…fair enough.
sad thing watching those early x vids.
RIP

1 Like
2 Likes

I was 16 years old, standing in my friend’s living room, when Firestarter aired on MTV. We couldn’t figure it out.

What the hell was this? Why so dark and raucous?

Being super into NIN had us wondering if this was the next big thing.

The next thing we knew we were firing off breakbeats (as best we could) in an old Alesis drum machine and screaming into the 4 track.

That moment always stuck with me. Thanks and RIP Keith.

5 Likes

I saw The Prodigy the first time 1993 after Experience. They were a bit smaller band back then, not yet megastar class artists. At the end of the gig they asked everyone who would fit to come to the stage to dance with them and there we went.

Loved Experience and Jilted, and they totally converted me to electronic music from rock and grunge. Didn’t like their later production too much, though, and always felt that electro-punk thing unnecessary.

But, my teenage heroes, definitely. A sad day, indeed.

4 Likes

I have a very dim view on suicide for a few personal reasons but still a shame to read about this one.

I wasn’t a huge Prodigy fan to tell the truth but I do have one fond memory of them. At around about 15/16, my English teacher wanted to try something new to engage with the kids a bit. So she asked us all to go home and pick a song they really liked and to bring it in for the class. The idea being we should pick something with “beautiful” lyrics that we could pick apart in class. Only one kid brought a tape in. He walked to the front of the class and slyly pumped the volume up a bit then out came Firestarter blaring out of the hifi. It’s one of those “had to be there” moments. The teacher was this lovely, quiet lady who patiently waited to the end with a look of bemusement and just said “hmmm… not quite what I was hoping for there. Anyone else?” but that was the only tape brought in that day. Still makes me chuckle.

9 Likes

Prodigy’s Out of Space was my introduction into electronic music… The pure energy of it absolutely blew me away.

You reach a certain age and it seems like all those who influenced you are dropping one after another. I think all you can do to stay sane is raise a glass Irish-wake style and celebrate all they’ve given the world. Cheers Keith!

5 Likes

Hah! Love this :joy:

2 Likes

That’s pure class! :smiley:

2 Likes

Ripped charly out of a BBC broadcast (93?). It was mind-blowing for 15year old me. My so called peer group hated it. And here I am, fiddling my machines. Prodigy experience, more than a phrase. Giving the whole album a tribute listening on full volume at the moment, man that energy.

5 Likes

I’ve been playing the early rave Prodigy tracks all day. Charly was definitely one of the early tracks that got me fully immersed in all things techno, including all the parties. Today made me reach out to a couple of old mates who have been doing it hard lately, and also when this happens it’s a reminder of how quickly time passes.

2 Likes

Experience is quirky as hell, love it too - but especially Jilted is soooo awesome when you compare it to any electronic music record released nowadays.

[changes playlist from Amon Tobin to Prodigy]

3 Likes

As a DJ I’ve played those early prodigy tracks since I first started buying records in the early 90s and to present day. So many times dropping them as that one more time at the end of the night and always get a huge reaction from all ages.

Like others I wasn’t big fan of the recent stuff but their early breakbeat rave output is huge influence on me as a listener, clubber, DJ and producer

Rip keith

4 Likes

I just fired up The Prodigy Experience for a listen through this morning while at work. Energy is a great way to describe it! I also go back to Music for The Jilted Generation occasionally and I agree, it blows a lot of contemporary stuff away with ease.

5 Likes

Narcotic Suite

2 Likes

yea the early stuff around the experience was aphex level inspired. jilted is unreal too.
listening to em all today I’m in awe once again. :raised_hands:t3:

I discovered Prodigy in my teen years around their “No Good” single. I got this track recorded and on repeat on my shitty Walkman. Then I started digging more for their tracks. Was blown by “Experience”, but “Music for the Jilted Generation” was the true soundtrack of my youth. I remember I was always waiting for each new video first aired on MTV “First Look”.
When “Firestarter” first aired I was smashed by it. I was 16 back then. Great times, great music.

RIP Keith Flint.

3 Likes

From Keith Flint’s estate:

2 Likes

I don’t need another one.

1 Like

I shouldn’t bid on this.

1 Like

Searching around for Yamaha RM1X videos and stumbled upon this tribute for Keith Flint.

4 Likes