The Octatrack is amazing

makes me miss my nord rack once again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be cool to tag names to cc params, etc? :smiley:
I work with cheatsheets too. It makes sense.

3 Likes

It’s kind of heartbreaking that this isn’t standard anymore, becasue until the 2000s nearly all but the most entry level drum machines had at least 4 assignable outs. Jacks are one of the most expensive parts that go into a drum machine, though, so using fewer = higher profit margin.

The LXR seems pretty good, I almost built one a couple years ago but decided that saving up more and getting a Tanzmaus was a better choice at the time. I’d still love to have an LXR some day though.

I really like it too, but I’m finding it hard to work in my setup because I work with ableton, and I’ve got the A4, AR, DT and DN and they all integrate with overbridge and I’m not seeing what it can do that ableton can’t.
I’m seeing it more as a stand-alone device sampler hub that is geared towards performance
A great sampler at that though… so not sure how I’m feeling about it right now for my specific needs for production…

It would be better with just the A4 and AR for a performance no computer involved
to get the most out of it

OT doesn‘t really fit in the overbridge equation unfortunately.
Sad, cause it would be the best OB device of them all

4 Likes

Somehow messed up my previous post: I’d be very surprised if the folks in Gothenburg weren’t aware of this fact.

1 Like

breaking news. @Hans_Olo teases Octatrack Mk3, overbridge enabled.
Discuss!

6 Likes

That’s good stuff. Thanks

it’s THE BEST most awesome sampler for true live performance…just this morning I was practicing / improvising with my mid-sized live rig (DT for drums, A4 and two Dreadboxes for synths, two mics -one for vocal and one for sfx, my Les Paul, and the OT as live sampling, slicing, and fx box at the center)…and boy, I had such a nice session - especially with the OT - that I had to come back to this thread and state the already stated: the OT is amazing! :slight_smile:
I think the hands-on control of the OT and its obvious limitations(!) is what it gives you over ableton live. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yeah for sure! Again I love it, but it seems to fit a different purpose than I’m trying to do at moment

OT requires an adaptation, from you!
Don’t people were working with their DAW and midi harware before Overbridge?

1 Like

it really does doesn’t it.
like, you can use it in so many ways from simply for playing backing tracks or whatever. but where it really shines imo (and MD / MnM too) is when you adapt and really embrace its way of working. using the sequencer for sound design, and all its resampling & modulation capabilities to turn a simple sound into a living breathing entity :drooling_face: [drool] :smile:

2 Likes

Thats exactly the same situation i am in. I have all three and find that the A4 and AR together hits the sweet spot. The OT tends to muddy the waters.

1 Like

How are you guys using your OT?

Mine is pretty much just acting as a mixer/fx/sequencer for my other gear, maybe 2-3 tracks are used for samples. Couldn’t imagine life without the OT now, my PC has been demoted to glorified tape recorder :nerd_face:

6 Likes

I’m acutally using it as drumcomputer, mixer, fx. I don’t sequence midi with it anymore, for that I now have a deluge and I’m loving it for this task!

4 Likes

I’ve considered a Deluge for midi sequencing. I still use my OT for now, but am wishing for a fast way to do transposition on the fly

2 Likes

Mostly as an an effects processor using those most capable scenes with the fader I.E. running DN and AR into each of the stereo inputs applying effects to these. I do use an extra neighbor track for each for more effects and still have 4 additional tracks for beats etc. Also I can easily stutter and glitch each of these machine inputs.
Actually also running a stereo vocal processor into it via DN…
Yes the Octatrack rocks!

7 Likes

Mmmmmm Deluge

download

Btw awesome reading how others use their OT’s :partying_face:

3 Likes

I gave up on using the OT for midi as well. I went nuts with that “only if different” CC and PC send concept, needed longer patterns badly and got a Pyramid. I like the arp designer and the LFO designer though, so I still use those occasionally. Having multiple sequencers running is a bit of a challenge, and I’m still adapting my workflow. I might have gone for a Deluge, but was afraid to spend another 6 months learning a very deep device at the expense of actual production…

On the + side, the scenes/crossfader concept on the OT is unbeatable. That’s what really makes the difference for me, and is what I use the Octatrack for: live sampling and deconstruction.

4 Likes

using mine mostly solo at the moment. sequencing sh01a via midi arp into a flex track or 2 from time to time too.
absolutely lovin it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes