The Mixer Void

That’s funny as that is the exact mixer I have and I have the exact same issue.
I use the alt out now as a quick subgroup switch to a looper setup.
I’m adding a Soma Cosmos and having that second alt out (or something like it) would allow me to have my perfect setup.
I may have a workaround using the control out but it’s not perfect.

1 Like

Exactly.
I imaging there a TONS of people with similar type of set ups, that want 1 more Alt Out switch

1 Like

I fully agree that this is a void. The same topic shows on most every forum I frequent and it reads the same to me. I guess the market is not big enough??? Looks like a good bit of data for the right company to work on something new.

I had one of the first BigSix’s with the noise issue and got tired of waiting for the fix. (I think they have solved that now?) I returned it and got an RME interface and use totalmix FX. The RME is nice no doubt but I found out I have no desire to hook up a computer for changes when I just want to turn stuff on and play.

Im sorta thinking I’d like to try an Xone PX5

2 Likes

A LOT of the same mixers pop up in this discussion…
I believe all of them have been posted here too.

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding my post.
I know all of the mixers that exist, I know what they all do.
That’s why I think there’s a void.
The Big Six is one I’m not as familiar with, but on the surface I can already see that it’s made with a different philosophy in mind. Not one I’m willing to pay a large amount of money for as a “workaround” mixer.

There are only a very small amount of mixers currently available that sort of come close. I currently own the one that hits most of the marks.
I most certainly do not want to involve a computer in the “mix.”
So all of this in not necessary a search for something I don’t know about, it is a statement.
Seems there are plenty of people who have similar set ups that are almost perfect except the mixer they have is more of a workaround than an actual fit.

1 Like

Analog Kitchen.

1 Like

I guess that it doesn’t have an analog signal path. I love analog summing. dB4 sounds great though but ya there’s that thing. And it doesn’t have any sends (apart from two workaround options).

Db4 and big six are too different to compare imho though. The big six is a studio beast and I don’t think I’d use it in a live situation. Have thought about it though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think that the first thing limiting the choice here is wanting the mixer to be analog. The second limiting factor is wanting it to have flexible routing, but “only” a few channels.

There are lots of digital “Stagebox with software control” type mixers but they can be a pain to use. There are digital mixers with physical controls but they’re also physically huge and just as complex.

On the other hand, if one absolutely needs the stereo channels and routing features… Maybe one of the “go big or go home” digital mixers is the way to go after all? At least there are models comparable in price to Big Six et al…

1 Like

Biggest problem with the DB4 for me is that A&H didn’t update the Mac OS USB compatibility for it after a certain OS a while back… that’s what stopped me using mine, when I got a new M1 MacBook Pro 18 months ago.
I’ve kept it and still use it as a standalone mixer, but it’s lost a lot of ground to my Big Six and Xone 96 because of its OS limits.

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve always kept an eye on the Qpac thread.
Mackie does make small format analog mixers with 1 Alt Out.
If they just made one with 2, and swapped the mono channels for stereo it would be an incredible little mixer for all these things.

1 Like

Yes… It’s really weird that so little would have to be changed about the small mixers for them to be 100x as useful. But no, you need to go for the 20-channel beast…

1 Like

Yeah it’s sad for sure. I used it as an audio interface as well. But big six fills that void now and does a great job at that as well.

Certainly a bummer. The actual hardware in db4 was the limitation in this case. Incompatible with m1

1 Like

I feel this is a similar case with the Midas F series.
Such a capable looking mixer but the firewire stuff is now null.

Too bad the DB4 does not get some kind of successor.
I forget that it’s digital, but I would still give that a try if it got a successor.

1 Like

Definitely a void I have felt for years that the big six partially (but in the end unsuccessfully) filled.

One issue I have is that I want putting stuff through a mixer to make it sound better, which means expensive analog components, which means I won’t be able to afford it (like that zahl am1 mentioned earlier in the thread). I don’t think this is possible to solve so I think I will probably be mixerless for a long time.

3 Likes

The original Mackie 1202 (MS-1202, the Daft Punk one, aka ‘the one you want’) lacks the mute alt 3/4 bus. In fact it hasn’t got mute buttons at all. It also has no control room section. Those features came in with the VLZ versions.

That is true.

If this helps you or anyone else, here is the workaround I came up with during lunch (It will help me write this down too instead of storing it in my aging brain)

• All instruments plugged into Tracks 1-12
  • Looper 1 (aka Laptop/Interface/Ableton) plugged into Aux 1 return
  • Looper 2 (aka Cosmos) plugged into Aux 2 Return
  • Control Out plugged into Looper 1
  • Alt Out plugged into Looper 2
  • Main out to PA (of course)
  • Alt Out assigned to Control Room Matrix (no other assignments)

Here is the tricky part, Looper 1 must have a “no pass through” mode for the audio but Looper 2 must have audio pass through.
Both Loopers will be receiving audio when “Alt Out” is engaged per track.
When I want to record to Looper 1 (Ableton), I arm and record, but no audio will appear until the clip/loop I just recorded plays. Looper 2 (Cosmos) will be the Audio Output while I’m playing.
When I want to record to Looper 2 (Cosmos) I can just do so without issue.
I only need to remember that if I don’t want both Loopers capturing audio at the same time, Looper 2 (Cosmos) must not be in record mode.
However, due to Cosmos’ awesome/weird style, recording to both Loopers could yeild some fun stuff and tricks.
I’m waiting for both my Cosmos and my Osmose (or maybe the Cosmoses…) to arrive. Once I have them and time to set it up, I’ll know if my thought experiment is solid.

2 Likes

Isn’t that Pioneer V10? A bit expensive though. Or a Xone 96?

1 Like

Good call!
Never used Pioneer Mixers outside of a being asked to DJ where one was available.
Definitely doing more research.
I totally missed the fact that the Xone 96 has stereo sends.
Is that right?
I really like those mixers, I’d love a reason to buy one.

Yeah, after a closer look the Xone96 might be the magic one

1 Like

Yes stereo sends. And 8 channels total. You can also use both headphone cues as additional stereo sends btw.

3 Likes

This definitely seems to be the way forward.
I always wanted a Xone mixer.
I guess I just kept over looking these details.
I know I love the EQ on them, filters per A/B, built great sounds good.
Analog to boot

1 Like