The Mixer Void

Totally agree. It’s weird manufacturer’s don’t step into this need. A similar search brought the linked mixer to my attention. Not in a desired price or size range (way off actually) but i have to share this for those who never came across, this is so on my “if i won the lottery” wish list:

Perhaps Behringer can clone this for €500;-

5 Likes

The k-mix has most of what you want, but not enough inputs: 4 stereo/8 mono. It has submixes, is an excellent USB interface, has midi (so you can use it as a controller, or control it from other gear), lots of outputs, and it’s tough.

2 Likes

Personally I’m pretty picky. At best I’ll use 2 mono channels. I slightly compress drums on the RYTM itself. Between the AK and RYTM going to 2 stereo channels and bussing out separately to the OT then back to the mixer
all things are mixed and sounding pretty good. The AH+FX is on the master inserts for extra glaze.
I also have my TVs, computer, turntable, slimphatty and vocoder all going to individual channels with the ability to send anything to the OT for sampling or wild fx processing.

The Mackie 1642 is almost perfect. I would love to swap a few mono channels for stereo ones.
A little tighter form too.
I would even sacrifice channels for something a wee bit smaller with all the busses.
But that’s how I’m doing it now.

If I wanted to add more synths, or have someone plug their gear in, I’d be out of room or limited to using mono channels for stereo.

I do sometimes use a nuo 2 as an alternative mixer. The goal would be to keep stuff trim and always plugged in

Seems very limited selection for mixers that fit into such rigs.

In the past I’ve definitely considered software. I just can’t stand making music with computers involved any more. I hate the way it works, it sounds, the upkeep and constant battle it offers.

24 Likes

Big six is indeed the one that comes closest to this. I’ve been surprised about this void many times. And as surprised nobody has taken the zone db4 concept and brought into 2023.

Big six is pricey but it’s by far the most flexible mixer plus audio interface on the market right now. The way you route things to and from daw, back and forth, is really great. I do wish it had more stereo channels as well. There’s two external stereo inputs that can be used but they lack EQing etc.
It does have stereo sends. Which is another thing that almost every standard mixing desk lacks.

Still very happy with it and use it every day extensively. Definitely worth a closer look.

8 Likes

Bloody hell! Thanks for posting this as brings back memories. I had one of these around 2000 (I think) and absolutely loved it, but it got stolen. I recall upgrading to a PMC500 which wasn’t as much fun to use, and then going for Formula Sound mixers from there on.

1 Like

The A&H built Model 1 seems to be a good solid option, as you can link them together - expensively, I know!
Still considering buying one :nerd_face:

3 Likes

The DB4 has a ton of great and unique features, but the input routing capabilities are next level… I’m amazed no one has followed suit with it on a small mixer, it gives so much mileage… I’d love that on the Big Six for example.

2 Likes

…proper mixers remain the last thing, that’s pretty hard and expensive to built…
…even when u concept a full digital layout, u still need heaps of hw components…
and heaps of know how…
too many good reasons why behringer bought midas for example…
still wonder how a&h is able to sell their various q mixer designs for a somewhat reasonable pricetag…
and those are already considered hi price for most people out there…

such flexible and compact layouts as u are hoping for can be found in ssl’s product line up…but that’s real hi price segment for too many good reasons again…

there’s pretty much no option inbetween hobby crappy or truu pro gear…no big surprise, if u ask me…that market ur thinking of, just does not really exist…
no wonder, elektron won’t come up with some mixing meets fx/ob/interface crossbreed product so “many” of us are hoping for here…u just can’t do it properly AND also with a reasonable pricetag…

3 Likes

If instead of just focusing on making tributes to every synth ever made they did a synth focussed mixer tho. :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah me too. The input matrix is wonderful. Especially in combination with the loopers. For performing its next level imho :slight_smile:

1 Like

Loved this mixer.

1 Like

I think a lot about an ideal mixer for synth studios as well. In terms of form factor I think the Mackie 1202 design was the closest except it was definitely marketed towards live applications with most of the jacks on the top panel. But it had the Alt 3/4 buss, dedicated aux returns, extra control room and recording I/O, and other features from bigger mixers. Of course it was designed almost 30 years ago, and even the current version doesn’t try to interface with modern DAW workflow.

The SiX was interesting and sounded great but I found fiddly and limited in use. Big Six seems to have addressed much of that and eliminated needing an additional interface, but pricey for a lot of home studio synthesists. It would be cool if they kept developing the 500 series to have stereo and summing buss modules to make a truly custom-configurable rack mixer:

Personally I would love for the 90’s rackmount mega line mixer to come back but have modern bussing and interfacing options. These were probably the closest ever to a proper “synth studio” mixer:

12 Likes

why not build your own?

this, in a 4MS pod, alongside with an Expert Sleepers ES9, would get you quite far I guess.

You could also build it into one of these, alongside with a patchbay (it says 3U but I have one of these and they actually support 4U)

1 Like

Modern day Speck SSM.

the DB4 seems amazing.
I never had one.
More than any other piece of gear, it could free up much of what I use the Octatrack for. Many of the “Xone” mixers have attempted to fill this gap.
I often check into the A&H site just to see if they have any news about things coming out.

the SSL Six series get a ton of praise.
I need to dig into some of it’s features, there’s certainly more going with those things.

@DaveMech Hypothetically, if you were to consider buying another DB4, what would be the major hang up to you deciding not to?
Would the Big Six take it’s place?

Yeah these are definitely in the right direction.
A modern but solid M-480. Onw with 24 channels, one with 12, one with 6 would be perfect these days.
I still like the rackmount format too.
However it would be very nice to see these in a desktop version as well.

1 Like

Weird, I literally was thinking this just this morning.
Every compact mixer on the market doesn’t meet many needs I have and I assume a lot of synthesists (and solo/loop artists) would like.
Sub groups with button send selection would be a big one for me.
Also, every compact mixer I come across sums stereo tracks to mono for Aux/FX sends.
I know that is standard for FOH mixers and other needs but I don’t understand why that couldn’t be optional (i.e. give us stereo with a mono option).

2 Likes

Maybe that’s more where my head was at that I didn’t articulate well.
There needs to be small format mixers with sub groups. That one Mackie, has the Alt out, if it had 2, I would use that for gigs.

1 Like

I did hear guys talk about developing a mixer last year that fills a gap for live performance with hardware. Will try see who it was

2 Likes