The Mixer Void

Seems there’s a massive hole in the mixer market.
The Roland MX-1 is definitely a solid idea, but seems to lack a lot of things I personally would want in such a device.

I basically want a semi standard mixer with the amount of mono inputs and stereo inputs flipped.
Similar to a Mackie 1642VLZ4, just tighter

An 8 channel mixer
6 stereo channels
2 mono channels
2 sub groups with the ability to easily toggle a channel to a specific sub out
Channel Inserts
Master Inserts
Solid EQ
With or without sends, a variety for size.
Ultra compact
All jacks on the back except headphones.
A volume knob version, and a fader version
The ability to route tracks into each other
If it has sends, have buttons to engage the routing and the knob to decide how much.
No onboard effects, or good onboard fx
Filter sweep per channel
Built in midi router
Record to card
USB interface

A 12, 14, 16, 24 channel version
Built solid with decent knobs and faders
Various pricing between 800-2000
Intended for synth enthusiasts

I’m surprised this doesn’t exist

9 Likes

I think part of the problem is that everyone sees a similar void, but just a little bit different depending on their needs. You especially likely won’t see something like separate Fader and Knob versions for the same reasons the Digitakt and Syntakt use the same enclosure.

8 Likes

That I could live without.
Those options aren’t a essential as having more stereo inputs than mono, with sub groups.

2 Likes

Part of the problem lies in the disappearance of modular mixers with replaceable channel strips. Most mixers on the market seem to be single board fixed configurations. In the 80s and on into the 90s there were plenty of small to medium sized mixers with the option for custom configurations. Some can still be found at a decent price 2nd hand, but age takes its toll, on mixers in particular. I’d love to see someone bring out a product with several chassis sizes, several strip configurations, and decent modern features like built in conversion, but finding that for less that 2k would be extremely unlikely.

5 Likes

Completely agree.
I’ve scoured the internet for possibilities.
There are a few companies currently making modular mixers, but they miss a lot of things and take up an undesirable about of space.
There are some interesting DJ mixers, but very DJ focused, expensive and lack some key features.
Then of course the live stage style mixers that are very microphone centric.
I’ve even mocked up quite a few imaginary Elektron mixer designs over the years.
The only thing that seems semi close is the Roland MX-1.
The guts of it is sort of there, personally I don’t like anything about the Aira hardware, especially the faders and knobs. I would put up with the goofy color scheme and multi lighting, if the knobs/faders were half decent and the sound quality was ok.
Still the MX-1 is missing quite a bit of cool features.

I could see it something like this working with plenty of other pieces of gear/fx.
But basically I want a mixer that lets you toggle on the fly what gets sent to an Octatracks inputs, with the ability to record it all within itself.
Something smaller than my Mackie. Just tightened up.

Something like that would sell like hotcakes.
Anyone in that “Your Setups” thread would want one.

That semi old Korg mixer was a fantastic idea.
However from what I understand never worked properly

Mutes and eq kill switches would be great too.
Sends and returns too.
This Vestax was one of my all time favorites (still have it but lord does it need a makeover). It had the best kill switches/faders!

You could buy a kit to turn the channel faders into knobs, for the house djs out there.

11 Likes

Exactly.
Some DJ influences, but geared towards synth enthusiasts for studio or live situations

The old Korg attempt

Also the Xone 464 was very close

9 Likes

Yeah I love this thing.
I had a Rane MP25
I loved that too, but missing some key stuff like sub groups.
Especially toggles for sub routing

1 Like

Here’s my other one that I still use. Has MIDI so channels 2 and 3 can be assigned to stuff, as well as the center MIDI channel. It’s a workhorse. Only bummer is the send/return is sort of wank.

5 Likes

I have the Nuo 2.0
I always forget about the Nuo 4.
If it had 1 more send that was stereo, or sub groups this would be very close.

I may find a Nuo 4 to get as is.

2 Likes

Strangely enough, I think the Push 3 standalone matches most if not all of your requirements. I’m currently setting up as a mixer.

2 Likes

I understand where you coming from, I often think of it being like a hardware simple Live layout.
However there’s no way I would use Live for numerous reasons.
Number one being the hardware isn’t hard enough. I’m talking built to last with proper jacks. Not a huge matrix of pads.
Not dependent on software either.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wanted a performance mixer but I can confirm that the current state of the standalone Push isn’t ready for live use.

1 Like

I feel the SSL BiG SiX ticks most of your boxes, except perhaps price and a few other aspects. You can use Bus B as a group, or use one of the St. Cues to route into the compressor for subgroup duty.
I find that I rarely need more channels than it provides, and can always find a workaround via DAW when I do.

4 Likes

I was definitely eyeballing that sucker.
It certainly isn’t cheap.
I know it does more that meets the eye, I’m just not sure it will tick all the boxes just right for that price.

Can you toggle each channel to go to one of two busses in stereo?

I read the manual before buying. It’s not that long, and gives a pretty clear picture of everything the mixer can do.

1 Like

Put a couple of more thoughts on it, which are not in the manual, in the BiG SiX thread a while ago

2 Likes

If you wanted to think outside the box, you could achieve this with an Akai Force paired with a USB interface for the I/O.

I have a load of mixers, inc the Roland MX-1 which I think is 100% unique and brilliant for what it is (consumer audio quality, but true performance mixer)… my own conclusion is that unless I have a main (big) master console at the heart of my studio (which I don’t want these days), then the best approach is to have a multi-mixer setup that uses different mixers for different tasks.
I do this with my ‘task’ mixers, and they all currently feed into an SSL Big Six. It works great.

2 Likes