“The misogyny at Moog”

So if those things turn out to be true, but Moog and this person settle out of court, what would you think? Had this whole thing gone completely unnoticed behind the curtains. This would not force Moog to change their practises or fire that dickwad.

1 Like

I think you’re misreading, I am in no way downplaying her claims… but they are allegations, I think it’s a dangerous thing to just jump on any bandwagon without any hesitation. with that said I fully believe her claims are truthful and Moog need to provide evidence that they are not, if they feel obliged to do so.

And I hope they do so without acts of slander and defamation, cause that would fully drive me away from the company…

8 Likes

:100:

I have faith they will respond well.

Whether they actually do anything later is another matter.

Seriously though why would anyone want to keep a person like Brandon? He sounds like a big ass baby, playing the victim. I’ve heard it so many times from the corporate people I know: “How does {someone like Brandon} still work there?” “Sales is a cut throat area and we need the right type of people.”

1 Like

I have a workmate who’s kind of like that, not a misogynist or a bully but when he’s having a bad day he does that “Oh I can’t do anything, I’m staying on my lane” thing. It’s EXTREMELY tiresome and if he were a bully misogynist and bragged about carrying a knife, I would do my very best to get him fired.

2 Likes

Sure, the legal system has its problems. But if we don’t even give them a chance to do their thing, then justice has already failed before it got started. Or should we expect law and order with the option of completely ignoring its processes if we suspect it might not conform to our expectations? I wouldn’t call that sort of thing law and order, or its outcome justice.

Not saying don’t write about it at all - miscarriages of justice can and do happen and need to be made public. But it hasn’t got to that point yet.

2 Likes

I’ve been through the justice system with dozens of female victims of abuse, right from taking the initial disclosure to giving evidence in courts.

What I struggle with here is when cases such as this are reported in such a fashion whilst proceedings are ongoing. In the middle of this shit storm is a person who considers themself a victim and whose voice needs to be heard in court. The opinions of a media outlet and, subsequently, half the internet, however well meaning, will do nothing to help the victim. In reality, this increased exposure will likely put the victim more at risk of abuse.

Yes, there’s a public interest element here, I get that, but if that public interest jeopardises a victim’s chances of justice, then what good does it do?

It’s fun to get the pitchforks out, and Moog will get what’s coming to them, but exposure like this carries a serious risk of undermining the victim, not the accused.

25 Likes

I’m not sure why you ask me specifically, as I did say that this will not keep me from buying Moog products. I merely said that just letting the court of law be the only place where these things are discussed is not enough to keep corporations from abusing their workforce or customers. All workplace allegations of abuse should be made public, yes even before the court has reached a verdict. It’s a corporation, not a person. I would leave all names out of it though, that’s uncalled for IMO. Just an article saying there’s allegations of abuse at Moog and a short description of what they’re accused of would be fine. This is especially important with Moog as they’ve kinda branded themselves as a woke company. If you advertise yourself based on values and identity politics, you sure as hell should follow those values.

This BTW is very topical to my other posts about how we live in a fake world created by capitalism. At the same time we’re glad that Moog promotes woke values in their advertising but are not terribly surprised when things such as this happen. We’re so used to being manipulated by advertising that at the same time we think it’s real but know it’s completely false. Odd, isn’t it?

I totally agree with you.

I do think that it’s good to shed light on Moog’s gender disparity and their harboring of people like Brandon; these things might not come to light in a NDA settlement.

In addition, getting the court of public opinion to bolster your legal case is not at all a new strategic phenomenon.

However, I agree with what you’re saying, and reserve ultimate judgement for how this pans out in the courts.

1 Like

It might help get a better settlement. In addition, the victim seems to mostly want Moog to change up their ways.

Anyway I leave it to the discretion of the victim to know what’s best for them on how to pursue justice for themselves.

I guess most people have worked with a guy like that at some point, sounds like a bit of a psycho.

1 Like

It tells a lot that they prefer to work with an actual unstable violent guy rather than with the gossipy emotional character they created for that lady.

Seriously, reading that news and given the image Moog was trying to project, how cynical must we get? I think a good rule might be “The more they talk about being progressive, the more toxic they are”

2 Likes

Sorry, didnt mean to come off as fighting words. Was meant to be a rhetorical question aimed at the idea of attempting to apply public pressure at this point.

But to expand on the idea, IMO public pressure for companies to do the right thing is generally a good idea - but there are circumstance such as this one where it could be considered to be doing more harm than good.

This is 2019. Well past Moogs “corporate activism” so it’s not like they’re clueless. So wtf?? Dude must get crazy sales numbers…

That’s exactly what I though.

1 Like

I’ve found “never trust what any company says, ever” to be a good guideline. Corporations aren’t evil, just completely amoral and only after profit. Any values they project in their advertising is only done because they think projecting those values will profit them.

2 Likes

Crazy sales numbers or not, I’m thinking that his behaviour must not at that point have been widely known, I sure hope so.

Sure, what I’m saying is that I’m starting to think that the ones who say the things I agree with the most, tend to be the ones I have to get the farthest away from.

edit: don’t know if farthest is a word or if I used it correctly.

1 Like

Much like abusive spouses, workplace bullying can have a strange effect on people. Looking back, the sensible thing for the abused person to do would have been to leave and sue immediately when it became clear the company wasn’t going to do much about the physical abuse she suffered. But she stayed for years, trusted her supervisors and eventually got royally fucked. Same for her coworkers, people will tolerate some pretty weird, evil shit if it’s normalized.

2 Likes

It’s an abuser tactic, to gradually up the abuse to make the abused accept what’s happening to them and doubt their right to revolt.

It’s the boiling frog strategy.

4 Likes

True true. I think the new part (unless im showing my age and should use the word newfangled) is the way public opinion abilities has kinda exploded - not sure exactly the right words here but I’m beginning to be more troubled by such concepts the older i get.