The 'I still love my Octatrack' thread

Im tired of the constant selling, chasing the new girlfriend / boyfriend stuff going on. I love my OT. Prices are tumbling but I will endure. Who is with me?

16 Likes

Whereabouts you based? I thought the OT 2nd hand prices were on the high side of late!

1 Like

Been seeing them hitting 800 usd online, but Im in Switzerland, cheese, chocolates, watches and cheap beer.

1 Like

Got one a few months ago second hand for 850 USD. Still in the honeymoon phase – hope it lasts!!

3 Likes

Definitely bargains to be found right now. OT Forever.

I still dream of the day I got my first OT for £550 3 or 4 years ago…

Ive been quite surprised with the asking prices for Elektron gear in the UK of late. Either very high or, in the odd case, ridiculously low. Some guy in Edinburgh has been trying to shift an A4 on Gumtree for ages. Down to £700 now. Would probably accept less. Another guy sold an A4 & OT combo for £1400 with stand and covers. Mental! Yet some want close to a grand for an AK?

Strange times

2 Likes

It’s Digitakt / MPC Live release economics.

People will realize soon enough who is still top dawg :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yer Im seeing some odd prices on elektron gear, silver boxes holding up well. Good for those looking for a bargain. Rytm went up in price new again, 1599.00 euro from thomann.

OT is stable, safe as houses. New kids on the block still learning to walk.

4 Likes

Still love my Octa !!!
Sometime i wish it was more user friendly but OctaEdit helped alot.
Was thinking about replacing my Octa with the new Akai Mpc Live but i dont think its a good idea.
The Digitakt is no replacement and have not found anything that can replace it.

1 Like

If you can afford it OT combined with these new boxes makes a killer studio combo. Never selling mine.

DT ain’t even trying to keep up. MPC Live is tripping over it’s own feet trying.

1 Like

The DT is a small (albeit nicely done) subset (with its own perks) of the whole OT thing … if you’re not using the exclusive parts of the OT arsenal than fair enough, but they are two different things and there’s nothing really like the OT which is why the coming and going of this, that and the next thing makes no difference to me … the OT sure needs a dedicated user, but there is gold in them there hills, and no mistake … waaay too many OT USP & plus points to give up for the slick stuff in a DT … plus I’m in it for the long haul, I don’t buy and sell ( re-buy and re-sell) monthly like (cough cough) other members, not mentioning any nam35 :wink:

OT is my least favourite Elektron, but that’s because it’s the least tamed … it’s arguably the most powerful, but that isn’t what makes an instrument special or approachable … in that regard I guess the DT has some appeal, but it gives too much away compared to the OT … dark trinity ftw

6 Likes

Honeymoon still going on here 2+ years after purchase. OT’s the gift that keeps giving :wink: Always new things to do in it.

It’s cool that people are hyped/happy on DT but for me the main gas I had for it is just to have a new toy and a couple of features. I had same for mpc live. Can live without either of them atm tho in their current states…

Had feeling OT prices would drop… Maybe they’ll rise in 6 months again when all the gateway drug DT kids decide they wanna hit the hard stuff :wink:

1 Like

Haha love it. Is OT the smack or the lsd?
DT is redbull.

I love the OT, but I feel like I’ve only brushed the surface of it. I feel like I still don’t actually know what it is truly capable of doing. I’ve done some slicing and sampling of stuff that I then record and put in my DAW, but I have yet to really mangle anything in a way that I feel like I should be doing. Right now I’m working on making sounds with my 0Coast, sampling them directly into the OT, and composing a track with just those sounds. Hopefully it will help me learn the device better. While I dig some of the limitations, there are a few things that are making it difficult for me to always achieve what I want, but I guess that’s part of the resampling.

1 Like

I’ve been contemplating on switching my OT for a DT. But nawww man. Just put in a deposit for a Stam audio SSL comp instead, OT + AR > DT

Not pissing on the MPC live tho. My live and OT are like brothers to each other, one’s good at organizing things and one is good at ninjitsu!

2 Likes

I think Im gonna do this but will wait until it settles down (learns to talk the talk)

Fair enough. Knowing past track record of Akai, things could take a long time to develop. Just read up on the tragic history of the MPC4000 and you’ll know what I mean.

I’m a crazy optimist in the end. I still have faith in overbridge eventually becoming mature as well :nyan:

OT is still the best! Here in Holland it’s raining 2nd hand Rytms instead of Octas… I would like another Octa… maybe I’ll grab another one… just for fun :wink:

2 Likes