The 'I still love my Octatrack' thread

And the new rytms are back up to 1599, its all a bit wierd.

I still hate it as well :panda:

2 Likes

As someone who is looking to get an OT instead of a DT (I have MM, A4 and Rytm already), beyond the learning curve, why do people hate them? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to know this as wellā€¦ How can you hate such a beast? :slight_smile:
I started my Elektron experience with an Octatrack so perhaps thatā€™s the reason I do not understand the hateā€¦ I hated to find out that on the newer devices/sequencers they left things outā€¦individual track speeds anyone??

1 Like

I took that as a love/hate jest ā€¦ itā€™s the only Elektron I own I could understand hating ā€¦ itā€™s so flexible and itā€™s not always transparent what is what, the ux is a bit layered ā€¦ same cannot be said of the A4 / AR imho, they strike a balance which allows you to feel fully on top of them

Thereā€™s just so many ways to configure and use the OT, itā€™s almost like a synth with a 1000 patches, youā€™ll likely get nowhere caught up with all the possibilities ā€¦ having restrictions and a set architecture allows me to enjoy the other boxes much more, thereā€™s never any hate, bemusement or frustration with the A4 AR ā€¦ just joy and productivity, whereas the OT can be a bit testing in between the magic which I find harder to recreate reliably too

7 Likes

Good reply, though the question was really more aimed at the sell/re-buy crowd. :wink:

Iā€™m looking for out of the box sample mangling, Digitakt looks fun but not quite there for me in terms of flexibility, no long samples being a major downer. The main plus for Digitakt are the trig conditions, but I would be mostly interested in that for MIDI and would probably be better off getting a Pyramid etc. Complexity isnā€™t much of an issue for me, your point about restrictions may be though!

I should try and get myself some hands on time with one.

1 Like

and rightly so!

I love it because it has so much potential. I hate it because I often feel like that potential falls short of what Iā€™d like it to do. To me the love/hate thing is about choosing/limiting the scope which it is used in and maximizing on the particular quirks of that scope instead of trying to wrestle with all the quirks of all the scopes simultaneously.

2 Likes

Im still in love but havent touched the sides yet.

Once you have 2 OTs you know there is no way out :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I love my Octatrack and Octatrack loves meā€¦

3 Likes

I hate my Octatrack and Octatrack hates meā€¦

9 Likes

Have to say I smiled in a schadenfreude way watching the DT videos because I could exhale and know I could do all that and more with the OT. But good on Elektron to making a more entry level price point with close to the same feature set.

So deffo in the love camp. I mean, in what other instrument can a crossfader be so much fun (runs for the hills and hides, but means it tooā€¦)

And I know this is a bit ridiculous, but using another sequencer with the OT opens it up in even more ways (in my case with the Cirklon). Gives it essentially trig conditions times a million. Being able to automate scene switching is the tits!

2 Likes

Love my Elektrons, I donā€™t think iā€™ll get rid of them cause I bought them at brand new price, which was way expensive! :cold_sweat:

1 Like

I only just recently got told on here that I could use midi loopback to do this from an OT midi track. Hyped to try it out. Iā€™ve done the arpeggio loopback before but somehow never thought to automate scenes. Feels kinda like I got a massive OT OS update feature :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Give her a hug.

1 Like

https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/3X/d/8/d86d719aeac1d8ac8a72c31d0ac1905a4b55ae8d.jpg

8 Likes

Iā€™m hugging mine right nowā€¦there there Digitakt is just Boss Baby.

3 Likes

Iā€™m seriously thinking of buying a Boss SP 505 for my 4 years old son !
The poorā€™s DT !

And I still love OT and still discover a lot of crazy possibilities with OT.
I work on Megabreack of Doom Matrix samples and there are so crazy possibilities, triggering slots at the same time !
I want to make a tutorial on how to prepare samples for that in OT only. Beginning with 8x8 samples, one bar, 8 samples.
S=Sample, SL=SLice, R=Result

4 Likes

For me the OT does really the job, and I will not try to master every little piece of it software, like my computer :wink: When you master what you need itā€™s enough !

And last, I need for my main sampler to have : SD/CF card, slice, so OT is my stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love my Octatrack. If Tom Hanks had one in ā€œCast Awayā€, heā€™d probably still be stranded on the island

12 Likes