The Elektron documentation thread

I understand.
But between total unsupervised mess and a single person output, there might be a middle where user input is actually collected and updated.
My suggestion do suggest that there still is supervision (merge request would be accepted or amended).
What I have in mind would be simple workflow examples with
context ⇒ goal ⇒ actions to get there
A structure to accept suggestions would be mandatory to ensure some homogeneity.
And of course a few examples would set the tones/structure.

I’m not saying it would simplify @eangman’s position ^^

3 Likes

Yes, this idea has been floating around like forever, and though I see the benefits of it, I can also see problems with that, both on the technical side (with our currest setup for creating manuals), but also when it comes to letting “other people” outside the company creating what will be official Elektron documentation. However, Im personally all for the open source idea and essentially I agree with you. I will keep this idea in mind when it is time to have a bigger overall look at our total documentation output.

3 Likes

I agree that something like this is possible and would help. I just don’t know about adopting the open-source software model. Software is a very different beast.

1 Like

Open source is not software only ^^

For a “user workflow” documentation to emerge, you would definitely have to find the right tool (or maybe develop one) to make it possible to

• write a suggestion that respects a usable format/structure,
  • make the discussion possible, with other people ideally, so that the suggestion gets refined
  • accept/reject the suggestion
  • enable feedback on an already accepted entry
  • put tags/metadata on the entries to enable research

As long as a participation/entry would be supervised by you (or Elektron in general) before being published, I would think it’s not really a problem to have the Elektron stamp on it.
And I would see it as a different kind of documentation, a “user workflow” oriented one. Maybe documentation is not the right word. But well done, it would definitely be an asset to

• aggregate users knowledge
  • consolidate such examples
  • offer centralized help, and pointers when people ask for help in the forum
  • demystify the machines
  • show potential customers how helpful the community is ^^
  • answer simple questions for beginners

I don’t think such a thing exists nowadays, all the information is scattered in brand forums.
Managing to lead this to some level of realization would be quite innovative, I believe.

Excuse me if I’m just dreaming aloud and hijacking the thread ^^

2 Likes

I think Elektron manuals are excellent, amongst the best I have ever used, I do think that I prefer technical manuals (like they are) rather than “dummies guides”. Elektron user manuals are like theory of operation style manuals, I don’t really like the quickstart manuals personally.

However, I do think the proposed idea is a good one, not as a replacement for the existing manuals but as a supplement to them.

I think @eangman concerns about keeping them in the Elektron style is valid too, often fan created or 3rd party guides don’t hit the mark, it can get too rambling and messy IMHO.

Maybe it would be cool to have “field guides” with various different tips, workflows and how to’s, with user contributed content sent in and properly formatted and edited to be in keeping with the other manuals. (Possibly with links to and from the main manual eventually)

I’d happily contribute some ideas and tips picked up over the years, I can think of quite a few other knowledgable users who probably would too.

4 Likes

Yes … starting with one on how to avoid losing everything on your model:cycles or model:samples by not understanding exactly how and when things get saved.

EDIT: See What and when M:S autosaves, if it does? - #30 by bibenu

One thing I really appreciated when I first got a Polyend Tracker (not that Polyend can hold a candle to the excellence of Elektron manuals) were the linked videos clips in the online manual showing the various features in less than a minute or two. A video series of short clips from Elektron showing each feature would be amazing imo.

4 Likes

As a graphic designer myself, I know where that comes from :smiley:
V and T often appear in my text boxes on indesign or whatever other design software i might be using :smiley:

1 Like

There, now I have updated and uploaded a handful of manuals based on your excellent feedback. Thanks again, your input is invaluable!

9 Likes

P39 in AK manual, refers to mini keyboard.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know. I have now fixed that and uploaded a new manual.

4 Likes

Have you looked into this @eangman?

I’m just curious how its really set up! :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry @eangman did not spot this before AK page 13

3 Likes

Digitone manual page 53:

Should be page 94 for LFO Destinations.

DN manual p. 62:

DN manual p. 63:

I’ve been beset, lately, by a bunch of synths whose “documentation” consists of:

• whatever they threw together on release
  • some number of “addendums”, one for each firmware update, sometimes spanning years.

I just want to say thanks to :3lektron: for actually going back and updating the manuals to reflect all the latest goodies. It’s an incomparable experience, getting to sit down and learn a thing “as it is” rather than “as it was plus years of tacked-on changes”.

7 Likes

@eangman

Sorry to be the first. :grimacing:
Syntakt Manual. Retrig Section, wrong screenshot.

1 Like

No worries. Thanks for letting me know. I will gather up some feedback and post an updated manual soon.

2 Likes

@eangman

Pages 38/39 mention “kit data” several times. Syntakt doesn’t have kits does it?

You are right, but in some way it has, though you only come across it here. There are no kits, but here you have the possibility to deal with all the sounds in a pattern at the same time. The word Kit is probably not the best. But thanks for keeping an eye out for strangeness in the manual :slight_smile:

2 Likes