Have you looked into this @eangman?

I’m just curious how its really set up! :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry @eangman did not spot this before AK page 13

3 Likes

Digitone manual page 53:

Should be page 94 for LFO Destinations.

DN manual p. 62:

DN manual p. 63:

I’ve been beset, lately, by a bunch of synths whose “documentation” consists of:

• whatever they threw together on release
  • some number of “addendums”, one for each firmware update, sometimes spanning years.

I just want to say thanks to :3lektron: for actually going back and updating the manuals to reflect all the latest goodies. It’s an incomparable experience, getting to sit down and learn a thing “as it is” rather than “as it was plus years of tacked-on changes”.

7 Likes

@eangman

Sorry to be the first. :grimacing:
Syntakt Manual. Retrig Section, wrong screenshot.

1 Like

No worries. Thanks for letting me know. I will gather up some feedback and post an updated manual soon.

2 Likes

@eangman

Pages 38/39 mention “kit data” several times. Syntakt doesn’t have kits does it?

You are right, but in some way it has, though you only come across it here. There are no kits, but here you have the possibility to deal with all the sounds in a pattern at the same time. The word Kit is probably not the best. But thanks for keeping an eye out for strangeness in the manual :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@eangman I don’t own an Octatrack but as I was looking in the documentation to see if it would match my needs better than a Syntakt, I found this:

During its seven year life span, the Octatrack
p.11

Not the most important mistake, but as we celebrated the 10 years anniversary, I thought you might want to change it. :wink:

@eangman

First off, cheers for all your hard work on the manuals, I think they’re written in a terrific style.

Just noticed this in the A4MK1 Manual:

10.3.4 STEP RECORDING MODE
6. To add a parameter lock to a trig, press and hold a [TRIG] key, and then turn the DATA ENTRY knob that controls the parameter you want to lock and set it to the desired value. The graphics become inverted for the locked parameter, and the locked parameter value is displayed. The [TRIG] key of the locked trig blinks red (for note trigs) or yellow (for lock trigs) to indicate that the trig now contains a parameter lock.

I think that the “yellow (for lock trigs)” is supposed to be a dimmed light for the A4MK1 :).

Also in the syntakt manual there are a couple of double full-stops:

10.8.7 MODE
12.7.7 MODE
11.6.7 MODE
• FRE is the default free-running mode. It makes the LFO run continuously, never restarting or
stopping even if notes are trigged…

BD SHARP
TICK (Tick Level) sets the level of transient tick…

SY DUAL VCO
OVER (Overdrive) sets the gain amount into the analog overdrive…

CH METALLIC

HH BASIC

Not exactly a show stopper, but thought it was worth mentioning! Cheers.

EDIT: I seem to have extra full stops injected into the quoted manual, dunno if this is just a feature/bug of discourse when using quote boxes. It should read “overdrive …”. Hmm.

EDIT2: Okay, apparently discourse just automatically inserts an ellipsis if you pop two full stops together :man_facepalming:

Thanks for pinging me about the things you mentioned above. I will have a look at this next week when I have gotten off the Syntakt rollercoaster :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yes that is a a good example of that years should not be specified in the manual like that, since it then has to be changed all the time to stay current. Thanks for letting me know and I will fix that!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I will upload a new version of the Syntakt manual today (with your comments fixed in it) The comment for the A4 MKI, I will add to my to-do list. Thanks again!

2 Likes

It feels like you had this discussion with your hierarchy already :smiley:
But yes, as a designer I would be pissed to have to change this kind of things every year as well :smiley:

@eangman I’m curious btw, who is the graphic designer in charge of the global brand identity?
I really love all those key visuals, cardboxes style and patterns, even the photography treatment and animations, I’d be curious to see the website of that person to check his/her other projects.

This^ :100:

Digitone manual section 10.10.6 COPY, PASTE AND CLEAR OPERATIONS is ambiguous, in my opinion, about what FUNC-PLAY will do in different RECORD MODEs.

You can copy the active pattern to another location in the same bank or another bank. You can not be in GRID RECORDING mode if you want to perform a pattern copy operation. Copy the pattern by pressing [FUNC] + [RECORD]. Select another pattern, and then press [FUNC] + [STOP] to paste the copied pattern to this location. Press [FUNC] + [PLAY] to clear all the trigs in the current pattern.

The paragraph begins by explaining the pattern COPY operation, then ends by explaining the pattern trig CLEAR operation. In the middle, it says you cannot be in GRID RECORDING mode to perform the COPY operation. Does this also mean you cannot be in GRID recording mode to perform the CLEAR operation? Inversely/conversely, does this mean that FUNC-PLAY will perform the PATTERN TRIG CLEAR while in GRID RECORDING MODE, but won’t do so while in other recording modes?

The next paragraph could help clear things up, but doesn’t particularly help me:

Individual sequencer tracks can be copied, pasted and cleared in the same way as patterns. GRID RECORDING mode must be active to perform these operations.

Personally, I’d prefer that FUNC-PLAY didn’t behave differently depending on which REC MODE I’m in, and I’d be happy to clear pattern data by going into the pattern menu only (10.7.3 CLEAR) — but presenting this more clearly in the manual might help eliminate confusion and frustration. (If it is explained elsewhere in the manual, happy to go read it.)

Page 82 of the manual (shortcuts) is clearer.

But TBH, I had the same confusion when I got my model:cycles (which follows the same pattern) and as a result I made up a big crib-sheet of everything to do with copy/paste/clear. Now I can do without it (just).

2 Likes

Indeed, thanks.

This reminds me that I ran into the same frustration/confusion with my first :3lektron: device, the Model:Samples, and put it aside too… so maybe this style of sequencing (clearing patterns rather than tracks in LIVE REC) isn’t for me.