The Digitakt Feature Request Thread

If zoom option is hard to implement maybe encoders for scrolling and arrow keys for snap to nearest zero crossing would be fine by me

3 Likes

Iā€™m not gatekeeping, just discussing requested features in the feature request thread and why I think theyā€™re a good idea or a bad idea. I didnā€™t tell you to stop asking did I?

I think zoom is a fairly pointless thing in the DT, but I did ask for usage examples in one of my posts above because I am curious how people think it will improve the Digitakt.

As far as how I do it, Iā€™m using one shot samples for my drums, and a few longer samples with drums breaks. For longer samples including multiple drum hits I just use a single track and p-lock the start points to get the hits on the right steps. You can see the videos from Ivar doing it that way, his workflow is totally different from mine and it works well. Pretty much all my sample packs are one-shots, but I do sample drum loops from nanoloop, houston tracker 2, pocket operators, etc regularly direct into the DT, and in the editor before it saves, I trim to include a single drum hit or a small break or whatever so that itā€™s easy to work with on the DT.

How do you think it could be implemented on the Digitakt, like how would it be accessed, or how would it work? Any ideas?

1 Like

For me, zooming would help me fix one problem: clicking loops. If I could zoom in, I could find the zero crossings easier. Playing a short loop and fine tuning the start/end/loop points until the click disappears works great, but it can be a slog if the points are several seconds apart.

Edit: or auto snap to zero crossing would fix it for me =P

5 Likes

well my workflow is pretty smooth, however i guess im feeling entitled to a more in depth editor. its just so rude considering it already has it, but its programmed to switch off the moment youā€™re done cropping. its a professional instrument, not demo software. anyways, im not a live artist, i just think if its an amazing product, and it could do just one more thing its already capable of doing.

1 Like

If Elektron can find a good way to fit it in without compromising the current flow, Iā€™m all for a zoom editor! Just donā€™t know how it would work, but maybe the people who want it really badly can post ideas. Ivarā€™s video on trig preview was incredible in this way, I really believe that it causes Elektron staff to consider it more seriously, and now itā€™s in the actual firmware!!! Amazing.

1 Like

Look, the request is pretty self-explanatoryā€¦maybe itā€™s not for you, and thatā€™s cool. We move on.

2 Likes

Changing my stance, I want zoom as well and some other tricks while theyā€™re at it for sample manipulation! Could be sick.

3 Likes

Possible solution to both the sample zoom feature being discussed, and something Iā€™ve wanted for a long time: Copy Sample To Record Buffer!

Accessible as a right-arrow menu choice in the sample browser, and perhaps a SRC + SAMPLING button combo, which would load the sample on the currently selected track into the recording buffer and open the edit view.

Today this can be achieved by recording from INT but this is lossy, feels clunky and takes time. This would help us refine existing samples, although you would end up with multiple copies of the same sound. Perhaps samples made this way could be stored separately from those made from direct recordings. Name the folder ā€œresamplesā€ or something.

4 Likes

I was thinking along the same linesā€¦

If it was fast and easy to re-sample (think bounce-in-place), it would get a lot of mileage from the current features. For example, you could apply an HP filter, re-sample, then the LP.
I do this now, but do wish it was less steps. Iā€™d want it to enumerate the name (MyKick-1, MyKick-2, etc.) vs overwriting the original.

Best regards,

Gino

7 Likes

I wonder if it could work that when holding [FUNC] and turning the encoder it would ONLY go to zero crossing points.

9 Likes

Very clever thinking!

This could also potentially solve the 4 octave range problem.

The Digitakt uses sinc interpolation which makes it sound very good but also causes this limitation.

The best solution to this would be an octave selection like most synths. Technically you could replace the sample in memory with one shifted to another octave and repeat the process with the original sample when selecting another octave. But this would probably be the most technically challenging solution to solve this.

If you could just send a sample to the sample buffer, but shifted an octave or two up or down, that would be very helpfull.

Or an option to just save the sample shifted by an octave or 2 and save under same name with added ā€œ+12ā€ or ā€œ-24ā€ to the file name.

I think ā€œbounce in placeā€ with a couple extra options would solve a lot.

2 Likes

My initial idea was to send the original sample to the recording buffer without editing, but if we could apply effects and transformations, play speed etc and then send it, that would be so much more powerfulā€¦

I suspect this would not be easy since all the effects would probably have been made with realtime playback in mind, not fast rendering of sounds. But reagardless, one can dream :smiley:

1 Like

Two feature requests that are both regarding play modes-

When in Scale Mode, it would be amazing if you could select both the start and end point of the cycle. Selecting 3 and 14 would have the pattern just cycle through steps 3-14, for example.

Also when in Scale Mode, would be amazing if there was an option to change the running order to backwards, or forwards then backwords, or any other number of options. This is a really cool feature of the Pioneer Squid that Iā€™d love to see on Elektrons in the future.

Apologies if similar ideas were already mentioned, this tread is long!

4 Likes

It makes me so sad that monitoring the inputs on Digitakt is not possible as stereo on the box.

Itā€™s possible through overbridge, so itā€™s not a hardware issue, it should to be possible to mix with the main signal (a low cpu cost process) on the box too.
Iā€™d definitely be happy with simple stereo input (even without the effects like on digitone) over the summed mono that we currently have to deal with :frowning:

I currently have very limited table space, so forcing me to use a mixer or laptop when I just want a Digitakt + minilogue XD module setup is quite frustrating, especially when I know itā€™s definitely possible to monitor in stereo!

This seems like something that could be a relatively easy fix:

1. Current behaviour remains when monitoring for sampling on the sampling menu (so that you dont get tricked into thinking you can sample in stereo)
  2. On the master page add some basic level controls for the stereo input. (a 3rd master page may not be ideal I guess, but Iā€™m not sure how much time people actually spend on the master page so it seems like the place this could go to keep workflow similar)

Please tell me this is at least on the cards for a future update.

3 Likes

I agree 100%
I had this idea a while back, canā€™t remember if I shared it hereā€¦

Some sort of project-level setting were one could change between STUDIO and LIVE mode (or whatever you want to call it). LIVE mode would then replace the DIRECT screen with input options, similar to Digitoneā€™s - allowing for stereo monitoring, level/gain control and - if it was possible - FX routing of the input (although to be honest Iā€™m totally ok with not having FX sends, as long as thereā€™s gain control and input options - L, R, L-R, L+R)

The idea behind this is killing all sampling capabilities while using LIVE mode, if it helps in any way regarding processing power.
Iā€™m more than willing to live with that, since I would never sample in real time on the DT.

Thatā€™s a shame, you should! Sample all your gear into the DT, it sounds even better once itā€™s gone through the DT process somehow! I keep a second set of outs from my mixer running into the DT, so I can just turn that up and sample anything I have running.

donā€™t get me wrong - I do sample stuff on it.
I just wouldnā€™t do it while performing a liveset.
I was just thinking of a way that might be doable without asking for more CPU power - choosing to either sample, or monitor in stereo

Ah I misunderstood. I donā€™t even know how you would sample during a liveset, that would really break up the flow.

1 Like

exactly! thatā€™s when a monitor input option would be really handy, and the sampling wouldnā€™t :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah I agree, I like your idea!