The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

Trying to defend better companies over blatant bad ones isn’t snobbery.

And i do it regarding music gear because it’s the domain i care about the most.

If only everyone did it in the domain they care about the most… :slight_smile:

But you can’t support only ethical companies on all fronts as it would be an impossible life.

2 Likes

On their Facebook page today :

From the beginning, we stated that we’ll first focus on replicating the beautiful synths from the past. As this is coming to a close, we’re now starting a new chapter of focusing on new instruments and user interfaces.

What would you like us to do? Please share your boldest and imaginative ideas.

Moving away from clones and into originals – That sounds auspicious !

3 Likes

“First we focused on copying instruments designed by geniuses of synth history. Now we will focus on copying ideas posted in the comments by you guys.”

8 Likes

I also posted a couple months back how they’re doing deals with Kickstarter startups upon request.

That is part of this shift as well.

1 Like

Probably just scaling up copying of in-production instruments from other manufacturers.

2 Likes

They’re likely scaling up the Kickstarter projects. Companies can get themselves in a real bind on KS, getting over-subscribed. There are some very good ideas done there ( and some atrocious ones too ). Companies generally go to KS with little experience with manufacture and fulfillment. Behringer certainly has the capability to manufacture economically at scale, so that makes a good match.

Their is another post on their Facebook page today talking about the new product engineering they’re doing too.

3 Likes

I would be interested in being a fly on the wall of those meetings. I’m sure Behringer is very very picky about component selection for price and a lot of Kickstarter type projects have not considered that all that much. I bet it would be a lot of work getting a Kickstarter type project into the type of standards Behringer need for their manufacturing scale.

1 Like

There is also two separate things to be discussed – the business side of the deal, and the engineering side. Generally ( not always ) people do one or the other well, not so often both.

1 Like

I’d also be interested to know what cut of the profits Behringer gets, haha.

Exciting stuff! Although bittersweet, if Behringer starts making innovative new gear then the naysayers will have nothing left to complain about and we might have to close the thread…

Naysayers? Fact checkers :wink:

8 Likes

they really just can’t do anything on their own, can they? :rofl:

2 Likes

It’s their brand.

We Hear You.

We at Behringer believe in carefully listening to you and providing you with life-changing products at prices so you can fulfill your musical …

The announcement bonanza has been part of that too. It gives them feedback and affects their development direction. I know it’s an uncommon development strategy, but that’s the way they work. Not that that is the only factor though.

In business it’s very important to listen to your customer. For those not in business that may be surprising. But it’s true.

I think they can do better. But they should keep listening. They need people to buy their products.

1 Like

LISTEN TO WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT…

time for a new direction…

kidding :slight_smile:

the whole premise of this thread is about them cloning stuff, and the naysayers to cloning said that they should direct their capabilities toward creating original gear, so yeah if they start doing original stuff I imagine this thread would be obsolete.
and I like the idea of them being a company that backs interesting crowdfunding projects, sounds like a valid plan.

2 Likes

Both the Neutron and Deep Mind are pretty solid offerings. It makes their plundering of the very much alive M32, DFAM, and SubH that much more frustrating. You can invent at least a little…get back to it, leeches.

1 Like

BcD
Big Bacs
BacBuffins
BcBlurry

1 Like

so you’re assuming clone production will stop then…? just in the synth space or throughout all their product lines?

1 Like

no idea if they stop completely, but assuming they start channeling their funds into new and “untested” territories with original products it would require to hit pause at least, just so they can spend more on original stuff.

Or they have enough clones in the pipe they figure will FUND their new projects.

Using the innovation of others to fund their new projects I guess.

edited find to fund

2 Likes