The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

The outrage about copying is part of their marketing tactic. If they just made another function generator no one would say anything about it. But because it’s a copy of maths we are talking about it.

5 Likes

What are some of their noteable engineering feats?

5 Likes

I think Korg, Roland and Moog should strike back and clone the Deepmind. For 150 bucks.

2 Likes

If you don’t own a 2600 and have any interest at all in that sort of synth i can reccommend it – especially at $500 USD.

They make an excellent rugged product at a very reasonable price. That is manufacturing engineering on a world class. There are other companies similar, but they mostly have smaller catalogs. And certainly no company has managed the growth that Behringer have, especially if the current “in progress”" products are manufactured in the next couple of years. I still am wondering if they can really pull that off.

A clone of a clone?

:joy:

1 Like

At least it’s the only one that doesn’t look like a clone.

The CME SWIDI is a clone of the Swing.

I think it is “gear in progress” too !

4 Likes

Remember those tb303 clones from back in the day or the 909 ones etc lol

All I can see about this is that it was a pre-April fools joke that may have gone into production if they had enough preorders or something? But that was back in march of 2022. No current articles about it.

Still funny though. It also have Bluetooth which the others don’t.

3 Likes

I do wonder if the m32 dfam and subharmonicon clones really actually eat into moogs sales… I guess the must to some degree, but the price difference is quite a different market 600 a pop vs 200 a pop, and a lot of people just want a moog branded thing.

2 Likes

Yeah, probably minorly. Like there will be a few select people who really want those functions and may have paid $600 if they had to in order to get those features. But probably not a ton of those people.

I think that’s hard to say. The likely-astroturfer position is clearly that they don’t eat into sales, and perhaps in the case of the $5000 minimoog reissue vs the ~$600 polyD this is true; but the DFAM for $600 vs $200 for the Edge that’s less obvious.

When people (or even amazon themselves) bring a clone product to market on Amazon, sellers of the first product usually just dump their inventory and give up as there isn’t much way to make selling the originals viable anymore. See here.

2 Likes

The Amazon thing is also somewhat specific because all those sellers are selling through Amazon. That would be like if Moog had to sell their synths through Behringer. Of course Behringer wouldn’t advertise their competitors. This is one of the big reasons Amazon is so evil, if you want to sell any quantity you have to sell through them, and give them everything they need to copy you and then bury you on their own storefront.

1 Like

I’ve never bought a moog product, but seeing how much interest there is in the behringer clones, maybe i will finally check out the originals since they’re not too much more and similarly within my budget. If it’s worth cloning it must be pretty good!

1 Like

They don’t. Behringer isn’t a sales network. What is the point of this metaphor ?

Are you making reference to the Behringer Super Partner network or something ? Amazon is a part of that, in the USA.

It was because I mentioned Amazon (which also clones products), sometimes products sold on their own site (but not always).

I could as easily see these products (swing, edge, spice) killing (or dramatically reducing) demand for the Moog small semimodulars, in much the same way that an Amazon clone effectively kills the product they choose to clone.

OK i get it because Behringer has Amazon as a Super Partner.

Plankton might have a copyright case.

It might be a simple case if they own the copyright.

Looks like they still sell this product.

I was saying that comparing Behringer and Amazon as far as cloning products go is not a great comparison. Amazon gets a massive competitive benefit for cloning through their storefront. They get to see what sells, and they even get lots of info about seller’s material suppliers. Because of this if Amazon clones something they can bury the product they cloned by not advertising it and instead advertising their alternative. This situation does not apply to Behringer and Moog, so the impact of the clones is less than on Amazon.

1 Like

They are both vertical monopolies. Amazon is a larger, more integrated vertical monopoly, but they can out compete others on price for similar reasons.