SPICE -- Distortion Unit from Plankton Electronics

SPICE – Distortion/Saturation Unit from Plankton Electronics

Plankton%20Spice
This is new and pushes a lot of different buttons. You can think of it as something you’d use in a way similar to the Elektron Heat, but has its own flavor and way of doing things.

Highlights …

• It is a hybrid analog and digital system.
  • It uses the Korg NU-TUBE as a part of the analog section for genuine tube sounds and distortion.
  • There are additional analog circuits beside the tube ones for a total of seven options.
  • It includes an envelope follower allowing you to shape and process sound in creative ways.
  • The digital section is open-source, so lots of options are available there.
  • You can use it’s patch connections for other unique configuration.
  • Is available either for Eurorack or desktop
  • If you want to, you can buy it as a kit and do the assembly yourself – or buy it pre-assembled.

See more details over in at the Plankton Kickstarter page:

Ben Wilson (DivKid) talks about in the latest Sonic Talk #570, and he will be releasing a video demo on it soon.

There are also three other modules available in this offer too.

Plankton is also the maker of the Ants Synth.

3 Likes

So here’s the video DivKid had promised. I see now why he’s enthused by the SPICE.

Also a nice video from Plankton, with a Roland TB-303.

I note that in both videos the digital section is patched around for a good portion of the time. But it’s good that it’s (a) early in the Kickstarter offer and (b) open source for the digital part, so that some new things can be added to the digital section.

The NU-TUBE distortion adds an interesting sound to this though.

I notice from the change in the pledges at Kickstarter that it looks like this probably will just make it to being funded.

My main hesitation with this are the incompleteness of the digital part, and that it’s mono. (Correct me if i’m wrong, but i’m almost sure it’s mono.) The Korg NU-TUBE has two separate tube sections so i think it would have been possible to use it in stereo. But then again stereo would have run the price up a bit. There are other mono distortion boxes too, you just add stereo effects afterward.

It’s a lovely idea but imo it only sounds good on synth sounds… Hmm maybe it’s a good buy just for that…

1 Like

The Pumpkin Spice has been funded (unless a bunch of people drop out in the last two days).
It probably won’t meet its first stretch goal – which is “digital FX expansion”. I bet they do that anyway.

1 Like

Did anyone here end up getting this? Curious about it, and whether it merits its price tag.

I’m very curious as well, did anybody pick this up or have any thoughts on it?

I was super interested until I discovered it was mono.
Heat really edges out so many alternatives thanks to being a true stereo analog processor.

1 Like

yeah me too, all day been trying to get an analog heat mk2 and an zen delay out of another combo and all I could come up with was the spice and a dod rubberneck delay… both mono :frowning:

so thats the same tube as the volca nubass, which is considered in the low budget/affordable range? (rhetorical question)

not sure if having two is a good thing or not with this distortion device.

not so sold on the distortion part but it’s interesting

Can anyone recommend this?
I found an excellent deal, and it’s capabilities are what I want for processing my monotribe.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I let my anger get the better of me… Was close to buying this myself at one point but opted for AH…

1 Like

Do you have experience with this unit or Plankton? Or merely lumping tens of millions of people together in to your one opinion?

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem to have a compressor like AH?

AH doesn’t have a compressor

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies, looks like no one’s tried one
Unfortunately since I wrote that yesterday, my partner got into a car accident.
They are physically ok, and I don’t have extra cash to spend now ha

I haggled down to $360 fyi

1 Like

So from your one experience, all Spanish manufactures are suspect? You have to see the problem with that, right?

Someone had an issue with an Elektron box once. Are all Swedish products suspect now?

Anyway. It shouldn’t matter but Endorphins is Spanish and I hear nothing but good things, let alone all the other successful Spanish companies out there.

I own Ants! and while I had/have a small problem with it. Over all it is a cool, interesting, and great value. The function per size probably the most incredible part. I totally would have bought that spice at $360, but looks like I missed it by a few days. The fact it has a envalope follwer makes it a good add on for a synth or single drum voice.

2 Likes