The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

Yes and no.

Perhaps you’ve engineered, and managed new products too.

First if you’re not intimately familiar with the technology with other products in your category, you’re in big trouble. I’ve lost count the number of companies i’ve worked for, over 30, and every one of them, big and small, studies the market and the competition intensely, reads the patents, opens the box, etc. And it’s all used in a design. Do not get me started, i have hundreds of stories i could tell.

You also know what’s dirty, and you don’t do it. More stories.

Second if you have to make something to very closely work like something else, or you have a tight technical spec, that adds complications, rather than makes things simpler. Personally i much preferred products where we had a free hand in the design, it was always easier.

Third, and most importantly, with any volume the per unit engineering expense drops way down, to sometimes almost nothing. It you saw the breakdown on the percentage of the retail dollar, on a successful product, i don’t know, let’s say the Korg Minilogue, engineering costs are likely a penny or less of that dollar.

That said their are times when what you say is correct. New product engineering is a difficult profession.

1 Like

How did you find the Morpheus compared to something like the really good digital filters in Xfer Serum? It seems cool and I am tempted as someone who likes dnb but I just think it’s really different than the stuff in the Emu Ultra samplers?

would i prefer to have bought an original 909 back in the day when they were “only” going for $1k or so? sure (i didn’t have the money then, alas). would i prefer to have a DinSync RE-909 today? sure (now i have the money but am totally incompetent to build a kit from scratch)? so i got an RD-9 for under $400 and it’s probably 90% of what either of those would give me at 5X or 10X the price.

that said, if Roland wants to capitalize on its 40 years of sunk development costs and reissue faithful versions of their old gear at Behringer-like prices, I’d just as soon buy directly from them too! nobody’s holding a gun to their head to stop em

2 Likes

you make fair points, but it’s also fair to say those hurdles exist for creating a new product from scratch as well. along with many other hurdles you don’t have when you have the blueprint for the device right in front of you. in that case, you know almost exactly what your end design will be, you just have to find a way to get there.

furthermore, a lot of the products B has produced have already been cloned before. someone already went through the trouble to find a way to make a 30+ year old product with modern components. and these were DIY clones; so there’s literal instructions, circuit diagrams and BOM’s out there for how to build the things. now… I don’t know how close those circuits are to what B ended up making, or if they were influential in any way. but the point is you still have lots of extra tools at your disposal that you wouldn’t have if you were creating something from nothing.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Well said. And since Behringer decided to be in this end of the market, for reasons other than lower engineering costs, you take advantage with all the design aids you can, and are permitted to.

Take their 2600 “clone”. They sought out and hired an expert Rob Keeble of AMSynth to do the engineering, and make the changes and make the product fit into the Behringer product mix. Keeble knows the 2600 intimately and he did such a great job that they brought him back for several other products. Keeble and the engineering team you put around him are not inexpensive.

The product decisions are being driven for marketing reasons rather than cost.

When there is more push button engineering tasks, you do then choose to hire lower paid engineers for those tasks.

Keeble is one of many examples of the engineering that Behringer corporate has brought in to get the job done.

Surely if they arent breaking patent law. Then its just a matter of ethics. But is it ethical to take money off people who cant afford it?

1 Like

Really? Yamaha, Roland, Korg…

Exactly my point!

Behringer has always irritated me with cheap ass products, way before the last few years of cloning synths. However that BCR32 is something I may have to get.

3 Likes

I don’t want to judge if Behringer is good or bad but I can wholeheartedly say that I find them and their brand entirely unattractive.

3 Likes

Don’t know Serum Xfer, but I can say Morpheus is a very precise filter. Can be very resonant, sharp. And can sound very metallic. Not much warmth, but you can all kinds of different stuff going on. I can say it’s probably not for everyone. Very interesting tho.

1 Like

Question: the message above was a response to @Zzzz question about the Morpheus filter. Is that not okay? :confused:

This…

2 Likes

what about them?

U said: "have a massive investment in manufacturing resources that the other companies you mention "
U mean all these old monsters do not have the resources? I do not believe that.

I’m pretty sure Roland is on record that their loss of knowledge base and lack of tooling has made analog pursuits of their classic pieces a non starter in their eyes.

2 Likes

I don’t believe it’s on this level:

1 Like

There will always be room for the corner shop. But the big players can just source the parts cheaper. I liked the corner shop. It was friendly if more expensive.

2 Likes

Anyone else intensly scared of a scenario where the company you work for also owns your accommodation/home, runs your transport and even your supermarket etc.

Not even specific to Behringer, but the idea of that scares the crap out of me.

4 Likes

Time to start your own business?:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thats a laugh