The Cassette thread

The CP230 should should be stereo:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/marantz/cp230.shtml

The do make some mono models - the pmd-series.

Cheers

Thomas

ok, now i have it. regular cassettes = Pre recorded tapes.
yes-no this will not work very well, unless you like chipmunk music^^

1 Like

This isn’t quite accurate. The PMD-200/210/220 etc. are mono recorders. The PMD-430 is full stereo. CP was a designation used in some European countries instead of PMD. As far as I have learned, there are no differences between machines marked “CP” and machines marked “PMD”. That is, a PMD-430 is the same as a CP-430.

1 Like

Ok - you are probably right. I got confused by this European brochure (made for the danish distributor), where they apparently have mixed up the PMD and CP and model names. Never quite understood the logic behind having both North American, European and in some cases even Japanese model names.

hfe_marantz_cp430_pmd101_201_222_flyer_en.pdf (260.4 KB)

What a beauty!

Congratulations!!!

:thinking: is that a pitch control know my eyes doth see…? Why yes it!!! I love… Love… LOVE… lovelove… TRIPLE LOVE pitch control!!

Have fun!

1 Like

Yea and the other side playing backwards simultaneoulsy, it’s an acquired taste.

1 Like

great for tape loops :wink:

1 Like

I just got a Marantz PMD 430 and I’m in love.

I’m thinking about getting a reel-to-reel and I’ve been looking at the Pioneer RT-707 and the Akai GX-77. Does any one have experience with either of these machines?

I have 2 Sony TCM-200DV handheld cassette recorders. Any creative uses I can do with them? Cassette loops? Noise? Musique concrete?

Anything half speed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all…

Wow! I’ve been having so much fun reading about all things tape and cassette. Much thanks to the OP for starting this thread/category. I actually came here as I just acquired a Model Sample and stumbled across this thread. Who knew there would be a fantastic cassette thread on the Elektron board?

Anyway, big cassette enthusiast from way back. Have several machines. Started with the all in one units, 244, etc. and eventually moved on to rackmount recorders. I’ve got a couple Tascam 134’s, 234, 238, couple 133’s and a 34b 1/4" reel to reel, and also a few Fostex’s and a Marantz 740. Probably use the 234 4 track the most. Post a lot of 234/238 stuff on YouTube if you’re curious. Musically dubious but I have a lot of fun mixing down in real time through my board.

As to the availability of cassettes I did find a supplier a couple of years ago and scored a 100 count of 90 minute bulk blank cassettes, Type II. I’ll try to upload a pic. Somebody mentioned National Audio. I also have a 100 count box from them, but not used much as I believe it’s actually Type I. I did some research at the time and this was supposed to be their best stuff but it was never very clear if it was, in fact, Type II. I think they stopped making it and were pushing this stuff as though it was just as good. It is not, sadly.

I’m so happy I found this thread! Thanks!

13 Likes

Yeah boiiiiiiiii!!!

7 Likes

We made these:

After three decades of using cassettes it feels great to produce one and keep that beautiful format going!

The music we wrote was heavy inspired by soundtracks I discovered through VHS tapes and gave me flashbacks to duplicating 25 of my punk band’s first demos and a double cassette deck.

I looped, four-tracked, mix-taped, recorded, tape-traded and rehearsed with cassettes ever since and even with all it’s quirks and limitations, it outlived my use of minidisc, DAT and CD-R!
Cassettes are above all fun and like records force you to sit down and spend some time with them.

If anybody here is interested in our cassette, we have a bandcamp site or message me!

11 Likes

Here’s a demo in the garden! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Nicely done.

2 Likes

Popped to the local used goods store and picked up a new tape deck.

Got a great deal. I actually chose a Sony but when I got home it chewed up the tape. I took it back and told the guy I’ll swap it for the Denon. It was the more expensive of the two. Maybe because of those god damn sexy VU meters. He swapped the units out and when I got out my wallet he said it’s ok. He swapped the units straight out for one another.

Currently listening to Fleetwood Mac after a fry up on a Sunday morning. :ok_hand:t2:

11 Likes

Hey, am seeking som advice,. Got a good working Tascam 246, and trying to make som Electronic Dub (deep sub bass ) but it’s like the bass gets muffled on the cassette ,. Could it be the dbx noise reduction? Should I turn it off ? And just live with the noise,.

Are you using Type II -tapes?

That’s always the first question. Most of the 4-trackers are optimized for Type II -tapes for optimal sound. Using cheaper and more common Type I -tapes usually affects the sound somewhat. That muffled sound is something that some people aspire to, but it doesn’t please everyone.

1 Like

Yes only type 2, maxell xl2-s it’s type 2 right?

1 Like

Yup, those seem to be good quality chromium tapes and also type II. The problem lies elsewhere it seems. I had a 244 briefly but can’t remember if it’s bass frequencies sounded muffled.