The BITWIG Thread

Ah, sorry, not meaning the Instrument, but the Grid you “draw” the notes on. Its per default in 1/16th straight, and I am working on a project, that’s 1/8th triole and I have to set it that way over and over again :wink:

1 Like

Ahh. What if you copy one track to another then delete whatever devices are on it? Do the piano roll configurations carry over to the new track?

Nope, it resets to default even if you copy a pattern inside a track :frowning:

Their servers must be getting hammered. It took me four tries just to download what I expected to be the manual for Bitwig 4 (but it was actually the manual for v3.3).

Yes, but i would much more than probability things like to see a button or shortcut for an elektron style reload of sound ( not default but as saved on that track ) , track, scene etc.
Could well be i‘ m not seeing or understanding something obvious here since years…
Or is it available on a controller?
In other words the best of elektron without the elektron autosave.
Don‘t know if its there in live, i think not, disn‘t try it much.
Operators are also nice probably with 65% probability.

1 Like

kvr bitwig forum came to conclusion it is a thing with some us servers. Someone posted a link to a europe server there ( in the 4 released thread), no idea if that works ( with vpn?) or is a good idea.

Downloaded bitwig 4 in < 4 minutes from Greece, VPN not active.

1 Like

Comping is awesome. Also a great way to store multiple “slices” (recording different patterns from an elektron device for example) and choose accordingly. This update is sick!

Example for those unaware:

2 Likes

…ok…maybeeee…it’s time to slow down the hype…

imagine, all the wigs for all the bits become that common as ableton did…!?

if this nerdy little smart cookie berlin start up grows too fast, starts to overstretch, all magic might be gone forever…

this is a bit like with ur favourite band u dig and love…once everybody knows, it feels like not that much ur one and only exclusive love anymore…

so…can we start some fakenews, that this piece of software ain’t that good…
getting the levels of popularity right at that tipping point, where this small developer team can make a great living from it, without getting too famous for what they’re doing…?
:wink:

5 Likes

“Funny thing is, nothing sounds like a loop until it’s repeating,…”
-Dave Linnenbank

:joy:

6 Likes

…dave is simply too smart for this planet…

1 Like

Carl Finlow with some operator stuff.
Abe Duque (!) has also nice ( bitwig and other) videos for 343 Labs

2 Likes

I’m using Bitwig strictly as a plug-in host for my external sequencer, so I’m not much more than a n00b. I’m always in the mixer view, where I want to keep everything armed so that I can keep hearing each plug-in. To open a plugin’s window, I have to select its track, then the plug-in 'sSHOW PLUG-IN WINDOW button. The problem is that as soon as I select a plug-in by its name at the top of the mixer, all other plug-ins disarm. After I show the plug-in’s window and do what I need to do there, I then have to re-arm every other track one-by-one. Is there a workflow where I can deal with plug-ins as needed without toggling any track’s arm state?

turn off auto-arm for whatever type of track you are using…

with those enabled, whenever you select a track it disables all other tracks of that same type and arms only the selected one

1 Like

Decided to repurpose an old Sony Vaio Canvas Z and see how it handles BitWig 4.0. Really happy to report that this old Gen4 QuadCore i7 didn’t bat an eye when playing back the 400+MB Demo file, so that inspired me to make something on my own.

You can grab my little jam here which uses all native devices:
SomethingMoving.zip (48.1 KB)

Hope it inspires you to expand upon it. :facepunch:t3:

3 Likes

Thank God—that’s been driving me completely mad for months. Bitwig’s easier to get into than other DAWs I’ve used–and I’d been through the settings–but auto-disarming is a rather un-obvious side-effect of auto-arming, at least to the casual user.

4.01 just came out…

1 Like

Got Bitwig today! now I’m looking for a great controller. any recommendations?

…sensel morph will do all the trick…at least if ur not into knobs and faders…

1 Like

looks quite interesting! checking it out right now, thanks

1 Like