The best cheap synth?

Bass Station 2: this synth is amazing. Great interface, nice keyboard and amazing functionality. This synth will stay interesting for a long time and has a ton more to offer than anything in its price range

5 Likes

I have none of the above, but if you canā€™t try before you buy and youā€™re concerned about build quality:

1. If the build quality is like Skulpt, which I do have, Iā€™d be inclined to avoid the Craft 2.0.
  2. My Korg Volca Sample seems to be well built - my toddler loves playing with it, and Iā€™m happy to let her

Iā€™d narrow down the list and do a bit more research to see which of whatā€™s remaining seems like the most fun.
Iā€™m enjoying my meeblip triode at the moment and it feels very solid - I reckon the geode would be similar if they still make it.
Defo look at the 2nd hand market though.

It would help to know what kind of musical style you are into. My personal favourite (not only on a budget point of view) is the Arturia Microfreak. If you get it second hand it is within your price limit.

I would also consider the craveā€¦ most synth bang for the buck imho

quite broad soundrange and the 3340 osc sounds very good. Built quality is really good for that pricepoint, much better than the td-3.

1 Like

I would consider novation monostation, sale price is little over 200ā‚¬. I see it as a modern take on a roland mc-202

3 Likes

I fully agree with the advice for a Novation BS2

Next to the fact that it has a good sound it has a lot of features (almost equivalent to a moog sub-37) it has a solid build quuality as well. Next to that it has a well thought out user interface design, which is just as important to me.

Should be obtainable second hand for prices that are in range of your budget.

2 Likes

Fork out just a little more and go for Arturia Microfreak.
Youā€™ll thank me later :smiley:

2 Likes

Arturia MicroFreak is a nice synth as well indeed! Although I would estimate the build quality of the novation higher.

Second hand should be within budget.

1 Like

to choose from what you listed, i would go for Uno Synth.

but if i were in your situation, iā€™d get used Novation Circuit.

Second hand Arturia Microbrute. I had one for a while and was a nice bit of fun.

2 Likes

Microbrute new if youā€™re lucky with price

2 Likes

Microbrute can go from nasty acid to smooth Berlin school. It takes effects super well and is hands-on fun. The keybed is not good, but everything else on mine is solid.

2 Likes

Monologue

1 Like

As has been mentioned the Skulpt and Craft synths are flimsy IMO and Iā€™ve got both. Wobbly pots and plasticky plastics. They sound okay but for me theyā€™re not a pleasure to play or programme.

My advice as others have pointed out would be to try and find a used BS2. Not the heaviest of heavyweights but still a decent build and very well specced for the price. It sounds great, the multimode filter makes it very adaptable and it covers a lot of bases. Bus power is super handy too.

I canā€™t speak for the Korg as Iā€™ve not got one. Iā€™ve plenty of other Korgs though so Iā€™ve no doubt itā€™s worthy of the strong following it has.

Atruria might be of interest too. The original MiniBrute has an issue with its keys deciding they donā€™t like being in the synth any longer and start falling out. I think I read it was related to a glue used? Donā€™t know if it affects all of the original MBā€™s but it happened to mine. If you can live with mini keys the MicroBrute might be worth a look? Iā€™ve got the MB2S and I love it. The keyboard version looks a strong prospect too but it would be out if your budget I guess, even used? The build quality of the 2 is vastly superior to the originals too

You canā€™t go far wrong with the MS1 if you can find one in budget. Proper solid build, sounds great and looks cool. Itā€™s not got all the bells and whistles of the BS2 (which would still be my first choice) but a good solid inexpensive synth all the same. TD3 sounds great but itā€™s very limited in comparison to the other synths discussed.

1 Like

OP + $150 = AS-1. Hard to beat.

A little bit more expensive is the Dreadbox Typhon. A very good bang for the buck.

3 Likes

200 buys you a copy of Serum or a ā€˜usedā€™ copy of Bitwig 3.0 with its Grid, or is that cheating? :stuck_out_tongue:

If so, another vote for Monologue

Be wary of those soft-touch coated knobs too. They can turn into a sticky mess over time, especially if exposed to sun light. The Microbrute I had felt like it was covered in jam (jelly). Having spent several hours removing the horrible stuff (with Isopropanol and a melamine sponge), I can only hope for Matrixbrute and Polybrute owners that Arturia chose to use better quality knobs. :crossed_fingers:

TD-3 build quality stinks IMO. Feels like a cheap toy really. You generally get what you pay for in the synth world from my experience. That being said Iā€™d probably go Modal from your choices. Maybe spring for a 2nd hand Circuit? 2 poly synth voices and 4 drum tracks with sample swapping. Not a bad bang for your buck.

I am going to be frank. You listed toys. Iā€™d say, get something more usable. Itā€™s not that these are particularly shit, but they are not worth your small money.

If you want digital more versatile synth, then get Arturia Microfreak.
If you want analog, then get Behringer Crave.

Some Volcas are also okayish. Iā€™d go fo Volca Keys in that case. Or FM, if you want FM.

2 Likes