Tempo in the file name

Just a quick question…

Was it not meant to be true that if you include a number at the end of your sample file name, the OT will assume that to be the tempo? I occasionally use the OT to dj with and after loading 40+ tracks into static slots it’s annoying to have to go through them and input the tempo in the attributes of every slot even though I have already prepped the tracks in Ableton adding the tempo to the end of the filename. I think the OT will change this automatically for short loops but for some reason it never does for longer files.
Am I missing something? It would be amazing to sort this simple problem.

I’m a noob having this issue too. I’ve added samples from my computer that all have the BPM in the file name, yet all my samples have the original tempo listed as 120 in the attributes…subbed to this thread and waiting for more knowledgable folks to chime in.

Hey Corpus . … I’ve been away from net for last while, sorry about leaving you hanging… so… any knowledgeable users out there want to share their wisdom on this?

Seems a simple issue that needs attention!

It should pick them up… OS versions?

Hi there,
As much as I know the manual says that. If you add a number (120 for instance) the machine will understand that’s the original tempo for that sample and it will be better for the timestretching…

If you look in the manual it has a disclaimer saying that the tempo auto detect only works within a certain range of tempos ( can’t remember exact details now) and that samples with tempos outside that range may be picked up incorrectly.
So, what tempo are the samples you are having trouble with, and are they inside the range specified in the manual?

I think long loops will probably throw it off too, but I’m not really sure on that.

85 - 170 bpm

Thanks for your thoughts everyone…

My tracks are always within those tempos. More like 100 - 150bpm in fact. The point is, the machine shouldnt be ‘thrown off’ here or confused by a longer sample. The tempo is a number at the end of the file name. Eg. Joey Beltram - energy flash 124.wav
So the OT should just know immediately that that track is 124. It doesn’t have to analyse anything except the file name!

Sorry I’m away from OT right now so i doubt knower the os offhand but it’s pretty recent and this has been the case for every version I’ve had.

If all the OT looked for was a number in the file name then it would be chaos. Sample named kickdrum01.wav would be automatically set to 01 BPM. That may be an impossible example, but hopefully you get my point.
The OT is actually trying to analyze the samples bar length as multiples of its sequencer (2 4 8 16 32 64 etc)
The OT manual always talks about loops, not full tracks.
Are your long samples perfect bar lengths to one of the multiples of the sequencer?
I don’t really know if this would help the auto detect or not, but may be worth a shot.

ok, this is what the manual says:

"The tempo guessing algorithm analyzes the sample filename for tempo figures, checking if the initial guess is off by a factor 0.5 or 2.0. The ”normal” BPM range the Octatrack uses to make its initial BPM guess is 85 BPM-170 BPM. If you have loops with tempos outside this range, it might be a good idea to put the BPM value in the filename. Typically, a 70 BPM loop is initially loaded as 140 BPM loop, but if the number 70 is found anywhere in the filename, the octatrack will use 70 BPM instead. Similarly, if 280 is found in the filename, the BPM of the sample will be 280. "

so it should read my sample that is 126bpm as 126 when that number is in the file name. Obviously numbers as low as 01, 10, 30, etc should be ignored, I’m sure they would have thought about that.
As it happens, my long samples (entire songs) have been prepared in Ableton to be a duration of exact multiples of 4, as this makes it easy to slice them correctly in the OT if needed.

I’ve been running OS 1.25D as it happens, and I see that I’ve missed a few updates by now, but no mention in the OS update log of any fix of this between 1.25D and the current OS 1.25H

Seems I need to get onto Elektron directly to sort this out, but it’s always worth running it by the community here first right?
I just thought anyone who has tried to DJ with the OT would be feeling the same problem.
By the way, the OT is AMAZING as a DJ solution, and particularly brilliant when used with a pair of turntables, as a third deck that can simultaneously be used to take on-the-fly samples from your records. If you haven’t tried this out you’re missing some fun!

Thanks for the input anyway. Lets hope 1.25I may be the one! Will report back :wink:

Guy at Elektron HQ says it seems there is an issue. It’s been passed onto the developer team. Now we wait…

1 Like

Should be a fairly easy fix… he says :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha I hope so!

Seriously will be brilliant if that’s fixed.

Any news on this? Does it work now?

I was thinking about this recently as it’s still a pain. I’m running latest OS 1.25H and the issue is still present in that one. I think that’s still the same OS I was running when I contacted them tho. I’ll give em another shout and make sure they haven’t forgotten about it!!! …

Thanks for the reminder, passing it on now :wink:

1 Like

update… a while back I contacted them again and turns out it’s just not a priority. =| they’re busy with other projects and no idea when if ever they will fix that. Not as easy as I thought apparently.
Oh well.

1 Like

I’m on 1.25E and had no problems with the BPM at the end of the filename. Especially not when I make DJ-friendly Tracks with Slice-Cues and put the tempo as Attribute in the Octachainer.

Yesterday I cropped some nicely cut samples for the OT at 76bpm, put that at the end of the filename and OT has recognised them all nicely without further input from me.

Not sure what’s causing the problem in some cases.

1 Like

Can I ask you, are any of your ‘DJ friendly tracks’ longer than 4 minutes?
My OT certainly does recognise shorter loops, but never longer, full length tracks.

And sorry but what’s an ‘Octachainer’ ???