Tempest? Deepmind? Other?!

Hi guys

In a bit of a dilemma. Not really enjoying my Rytm or Keys - probably haven’t been for some time now so I’m ready to seriously consider a switch of things. I’ve found a Tempest for a great price and the Deepmind is back available in the UK and been very interested in that too. I used to own a Tempest but struggling to remember why I sold it haha!

Anyone with thoughts out there on the Tempest/Deepmind vs my Elektrons? I know the whole Tempest/Rytm thing inside out but I generally don’t use the analogue engine on the Rytm - I don’t really like it a whole lot - but samples can be fun.

The ultimate plan is to probably end up with an MPC Live and one piece of other hardware as my OTB fun set up. Doesn’t feel like the Rytm fits that at all.

I could end up bagging both the Tempest (need to decide on that today) and Deepmind and to try for a few weeks. Prices are good/strong enough that I wouldn’t lose out much at all.

So, am I being a dafty here? Am I missing something? I need to make my own mind up but I always like the opinions from you guys!

having owned both I think the rytm is better and more immediate as a drum machine than the tempest. and the sample replacement makes is so much more versatile. I think the tempest shines as a poly synth, but then it can’t record polyphonically which totally sucks. really short sighted of dsi that.

yeah it certainly is more immediate. When I last owned a Tempest I had more fun with it as a poly and I remember it being capable of some amazing stuff with the mod matrix and what not. Kind of always regretted selling it as never gave it a proper go first time around - I bought it along with a whole load of other stuff in a short time frame then GAS Guilt struck heavily and I sold up!

In truth Im more productive ITB by a long way but I do like having something to play with. Totally forgot it couldn’t record polyphonically - I was sure I was doing that with it last time around but maybe not!

Maybe I need to delve into the Rytm more. I just hate the sample import methods! And finding the limitations on sample start/end points frustrating. Might be worth holding out until OB updates come along with the Digitakt but that could be a wait!

I regret selling my tempest AND my rytm. (and my octatrack and my 202 and my tt303 and and and)
:slight_smile:
id love a tempest again it was so nearly the ultimate all in one groovebox. lack of poly sequencing and sample import sorta ruined it, but it’s still a deadly box.
the rytm tho much more immediate and open ended left me a bit cold. personally I hate the scenes and perf pages, rarely used em in the end cause setting them up kills my boner. but its an excellent machine really. sold it and got a mduw again. jamming with the ctrl-al on that is so much more instinctive to me.

4 Likes

So right, MD should totally be considered!

2 Likes

I always consider the Tempest again.
That thing is super fun to play, demands you to be hands on, but really limited in how far you can program a song, or multiple ideas in a project.
I feel like the Tempest would be best paired with a mixer and some outboard FX, and thats it, just jam on it.

2 Likes

tempest is totally overpriced tho innit. if i could get one for 1200 euro I’d consider it again but I’d be reluctant to pay over that with its shortcomings.

1 Like

Well I’ve been offered a Tempest for £950. Isn’t boxed but in fine condition.

Funny the MD is mentioned. Only used one once - was on display in Edinburgh Red Dog Music. Spent ages on it! I could see myself going back to the Octatrack. 3rd time lucky and all that but MPC Live looks great fun.

At £950 though i reckon I could take the risk and not financially lose out. I like the thought of trying to do loads in one box. But on other hand, Deepmind & MPC Live/Octatrack sounds like a killer combo!

Tough choices!

1 Like

Rytm owner here. I agree with statements like these:

Can’t say much more than that. This is the second Rytm I’ve owned. Still not totally clicking with it. I also am much more productive ITB but want some fun gear to just jam with. I’m going lower-end. Got a TR-8 and love it. I just have to accept that knob per function simplicity, classic sounds, and wider sweet-spots beats endless capabilities and complexity, for me at least. ymmv.

Might grab a Volca Sample or old Boss sampler. Sampling is just so damn easy in Ableton/Push 2 that it is very hard to justify dealing with awkward sample management and transfer in hardware (if I’m not playing live with hardware only). A few more pedals hooked up to my 1202, minilogue, maybe volca fm, and a boutique ju-06 just for fun. Anything else can be done ITB.

Things to think about:

1. Are the analog drum sounds on the Tempest truly that much better than the Rytm? Would you enjoy them more?

2. Isn’t the Tempest’s sample capabilities much more limited than Rytm? If samples are the part of the Rytm you do like, look out for this.

But, I’d wait until after late April’s SuperBooth to make any big gear decisions.

1 Like

Good points @Bwax!

In truth, i was shit at getting drum sound (from scratch) out of the tempest! I’m pretty useless at it with the Rytm too though ha ha! But as a poly i think i liked it more than the AK.

I have a weird relationship with my AK. I’m a keyboardist firstly but I preferred the A4 I think!

But you’re right, the sample capabilities are very limited on the Tempest. Just stuck with what’s loaded in already.

I was all set to wait to end of April anyway but this Tempest deal came out of left field and is seriously tempting!

I’ve had the Rytm 3 times and sold it, and I’ve kept the Tempest since new. So I may be a bit biased.

To me the Rytm feels more like a drumcomputer, fun to program, but not much fun to play. I have gotten great results with both, but the Tempest’s pads are what really keep me interested. They’re amazing and expressive. The drum sounds aren’t as easy to create but to me have more life than the Rytm drums which sound very clinical and precise. I didn’t mess around with loading samples too much on the Rytm mainly because I found it to be a paint

I am currently gassing for Rytm #4 but frankly I’d take the Tempest between the two in a heartbeat but if the Rytm had better pads, longer sequences, and a bit more flexible synth engine it would be a tougher call.

1 Like

Sounds like maybe you need a new poly and a more “focused” drum machine? Just my interpretation. Could be wrong. Maybe something more immediate and hand-on than the AK/A4? Maybe that DeepMind 12 would be the answer. I don’t know much about it but it looks like a Juno 106 on 'roids.

(If it was me I’d opt for something less menu-driven in general. OB-6, P6, or even just go cheap and cheerful, used JU-06 + some other cheap companions.)

If you like the DSI poly sound, perhaps a used Prophet 12? I read the manual for it and it seems like the interface is very intuitive and immediate, even with all it’s capabilities.

If drum synth programming isn’t your thing in general, perhaps consider going for something more sample-based, or a drum synth with a wider sweet spot (TR-8? TR-09? Vermona DRM-1? Tanzbar?).

I see you want the MPC Live. There’s your sampler, obviously. That plus a hands-on knob-per-function poly would be great fun and no headache, imo. Use the savings to buy some good samples from Samples From Mars, wave alchemy, etc. My philosophy these days is - let somebody else pay for the room full of vintage gear, storage, maintenance, etc. I’ll buy the samples from them. :wink:

1 Like

@Bwax - very sound advice. I think you’re right on the poly front. I know the AK is hands on in its own way but the Deepmind seems to be more intuitive. It has its limitations but I can see myself being happy with that one. And with the Live/Octatrack then there’s a simple set up that’d go some distance.

I’m actually not mad on the DSI sound in general but I did like the Tempest tones. Unfortunately the P6/OB6 is stretching things too much. Even a P12 module is gonna push things too far I think.

It’s a shame Red Dog Music don’t stock the Deepmind otherwise I could’ve given it some hands on time. YouTube only takes you so far unfortunately.

Cheers for the sensible suggestions though. This is why I love Elektronauts!

3 Likes

yea although the a4 can do poly and can make some great sounding pads I don’t feel it’s suited to it as much as it’s mono mode for some reason, I dunno exactly why tho maybe it’s the menu diving. I recently ended up gettin a minilogue for my poly needs and am much happier.

1 Like

I sold my A4 a while back. Recently bought a Minilogue. Agreed. Much happier here as well. The ML might not be the most powerful or versatile synth in the world, but there is just something about seeing all the knobs laid out, seeing how everything is set at a glance, quickly reaching out and adjusting any parameter. Suits me much better.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely welcome. I’m always puzzling over my own gear setup as well. If I can help anyone here think through some things too, I’m glad to contribute. Just don’t go nuts like me and have a spreadsheet and a photoshop mock-up of your studio! (no, seriously. i really do have a spreadsheet and a ps mock-up. “SAD!”) :blush:

1 Like

I would agree with many of the statements relating to the RYTM and A4 being a bit of a PITA to program, but since I embraced Overbridge both machines have opened up 100% for me and I wouldn’t be without either.

As for the Tempest - it can sound immense if you know what you’re doing but for me it’s limitations don’t tally well with its cost.

@J0n35y I’ve also got the MPC Live on pre-order. I’m planning on pairing it with my Nord Drum 3p and Virus TI for my little fun OTB jam setup. Details on MIDI functionality have been pretty skimpy but I expect I’ll be able to sequence those two just like an MPC should do.

Ever thought about a Virus TI? I expect it will be a great fit with the MPC Live.

I have actually but with it being digital I can’t get over the “why not just use a vst” stumbling block. I know that’s a massive over simplification of things!

I briefly owned a Nord Lead 4r which sounded excellent though. Could be an option… Haha never simple is it?!

I have the Deepmind and an A4.
I like both but they are so different.

Its much more fun and immediate to use the Dm12 imo. In fact it is a joy to use, that GUI is awesome and everything feels just right.
A4 : rotary encoders … On an analog synth i dont think its a good idea. The workflow is great but …

Sound
Deepmind sounds really good but those factory presets with lots of FX are awful imo. I think it sounds really close to the Juno 106 without the Chorus so its not the fatest poly but the filter is so musical, very nice for PWM string and stuff like that. Its more bright than the A4 , the a4 more darker, grainier. The HP filter on the Dm is just ok but the 24db lpf is superbe. Like i said earlier those DCO (on both synth) are not going to compete with VCO vintage synth from the past.

Personally i like both , if i had to choose i would keep the A4 just because it is more versatile + the sequencer etc .

Some of the FX on the Deepmind are very good but i prefer the delay and chorus from the A4.

3 Likes