Teenage Engineering TX-6 Mixer

The thing is the size of a credit card!! How can you use the pots??

1 Like

Did you handle it through TE support?

Yes. They answered quickly and offered a replacement. Sent me a UPS label to send back the unit and now is traveling to TE headquarters

1 Like

Itā€™s time for the Elektron overbridge mixer to connect all your Elektron gear to. Theyā€™ve done all the hard work and just need to find the right chipset to support their throughput on a hardware mixer.

Just plug all your Elektron kit in to an Elektron OverHub, and that cable into the Elektron ƜberMixer and weā€™re gold.

Boom.

You could then route Sends and returns to /from the OctaTrack so it plays nicely with unsupported OverBridge gear.

Instant hit and most desirable mixer of the early 21st Century :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Charge $1799.00 USD for it and show them all how itā€™s done.

Oh and allow it to support all devices with Stereo Audio over USB as well so it plays nice with other modern gear.

11 Likes

Wow this is tiny, dense, and no vents. Does it get hot as hell?

1 Like

Nope. My ob4 had that problem at first but after plugging into the wall for 2 seconds it was fine.

Mine was perfectly fine. No defects. Just donā€™t think itā€™s for me.

Edit: after reports I checked all the pots and inputs just to be safe. It was in great condition.

I want to be a voice against the bullshit. I just donā€™t think I need this

In the end my TX6 did not power on so I had to return it. Waiting for it to reach them and for them to send me a replacement.

Over 2 week turn around.

I never understood waiting until theyget the unit back. Companies should send you a new one while the other one is shipped back. They sent you a broken one, so itā€™s their fault. I have demanded this in the past with stuff and most companyā€™s at first say no way but after a few more pissed of emails by me they agree. Youā€™re paying that much for piece of kit thatā€™s the least they should do. We as musicians should start demanding this. Send me a new one and Iā€™ll send you the new one back thatā€™s broken which is YOUR problem! Quality control should have caught this. Check your product before you send it out!! Itā€™s ridiculous that you have to wait at least a week for it to arrive back to them and then send you a new one. Iā€™m getting steamed just thinking about it!

6 Likes

No kidding!

I guess they wanna make sure Iā€™m not lying and keeping it?

did you end up receiving your replacement?

I have to say, its surprisingly easy to use and quite funā€¦

I did 2 days ago, I love this thing.

It sounds amazing and having a 12 track on the go is fantastic, so small!

1 Like

yes i have to say, i was sceptical when i ordered itā€¦ delighted when i placed it in my handā€¦ sceptical on its use given the tiny dimensionsā€¦ delighted the more i play with itā€¦ its nuts.

like a mini swissarmy knife of sortsā€¦

2 Likes

Yeah the knobs arenā€™t nearly as much of a problem. At first it feels like they can be but I have no issues twisting any knobs on it. Itā€™s a cool device.

1 Like

I get the functionality. Are there any reviews yet on audio quality? From the real audio gear snoots? Noise floor, EQ, transparency and all that?

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™d like to hear a real uncompromising nit pick output quality review on this as well. Is it like good considering size and features, or just good and an audio marvel?

Anything that makes mixing and mastering more convenient and less space-demanding is interesting to a fellow like myself who has only a 80 x 40cm desk to work on and love-hate my SSL kits.

1 Like

Yep, adding to the people wanting to hear some real feedback from the real people here.

I wanted to know specifically if you can add a compressor to the master effects chain, and if it sounds any good! What kind of controls you have on the compressors/etc.

Iā€™m kind after a comp and eq all in one box. Almost impossible to find.

2 Likes

At least one thatā€™s good.

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ iā€™ll try to put something together over the coming weeks as Iā€™m currently swamped.

I use:

• 2 x UAD Apollos (Apollo quad and A16 chained.via TB)

• Playdifferently Model 1

• SSL Big Six

• TX-6

The palette is pretty wide-ranging and easy to compare (non scientifically)ā€¦

To my ears, I absolutely love the warmth of the Model 1. Its wonderful, especially when you overdrive.

And I am in love with the Big Sixā€¦ both have excellent headroom, but the BigSix is literally the swiss army knife in the studio as it can do everything and sounds great.

I donā€™t really use Mics so cant comment on that side.

I probably like the Apollos the least nowā€¦ :joy:

And for portability the TX in its own league obviously. The sound quality is surprisingly good and better than expected.

5 Likes

Lovely. Now weā€™re talking.

If push came to shove and you had to keep only the TX, how much would you miss the Model1 or Big Six?

I have the SSL SiX and everything I run through it, just gets that shine, even when I havenā€™t touched a single knob yet.

But the source material isnā€™t all bad to begin with as far as audio quality goes, so I sometimes ponder the sacrifice of that final stretch of quality to gain convenience, wondering if I didnā€™t have the option to A / B-test kits like this, maybe I wouldnā€™t miss the SiX in reality, just as an idea of what it stands for.

The TX-6 would definitely not replace the SSL Big Six or the Model1 bec for permanent setups nothing beats larger formats for me.
SSL got it rrrreally right in terms of features for the Big6 - I couldnt be without it now.

The Model1 sounds awesome, very very warm but completely utilitarian. Its a DJ mixer after all and even though it has DB connectors, you dont get multitrack outputs, just master out and FX returns for recording.

Also, its 6 stereo channels wont accept mono unless youre using a splitter and you sacrifice a stereo channel for each mono input (pain in the ass). But the sound is lush, warm and all analogue signal path - no digital whatsoever.

The TX-6 offers a super elegant solution that sounds great but the small footprint means its harder to keep constantly connected as part of a permanent setup.

I have a lot of big synths, samplers, gear connected to the BigSix and appreciate the 1 knob per function and big visual feedback - its a must. The 16 I/O and immense routing flexibility makes it the last thing I would sell.

What I love about the TX is the ability to move it around in the studio without jeopardising audio quality - its awesome, especially when using with an iPad or Macbook etcā€¦

7 Likes