Teenage Engineering TX-6 Mixer

Really? Why not get a small full featured synth then? (I do respect that you find value in the synth part though). I really like the TX-6 and have been looking for a small mixer like this but I think the inclusion of the synth and drums is silly since this is a mixer and most people will be using it as one.
They should have included internal recording instead which would be so much more useful.

3 Likes

Maybe Behringer will knock this one off.

6 Likes

Really! Silly is good.

1 Like

Given itā€™s similarity to the Kanye device Iā€™m guessing it didnā€™t start life as a mixer, thus the gimmick feature set. Everything points to usb drive recording at some point

The Loopop walkthough was pretty good, I can see the appeal of it, but I canā€™t help thinking it would be much better if it was not so small, it could have been so much better with a bit more thought into the design of actually using it.

I still think it is over priced for what it is though, but that is a personal opinion.

5 Likes

Itā€™s as if this thing were made for well lit youtube videos, eh? This would be useless at most of the venues Iā€™ve played in the past.

1 Like

Itā€™s great to see Teenage Engineering branching out but I canā€™t help but feel this ultra portability trend is getting in the way of usability.

Having said that I am looking forward to the TX-6 vs Bastl Dude shootout

2 Likes

Yours and some other comments make sense to me. I guess the reality is that this is very much a utility device and there might be a time when I want to add an additional synth or drum patch to something and be grateful this can slide into that config.

Itā€™s interesting because even though it isnā€™t something meaningful to me in the way Iā€™m using it, I really donā€™t think anything on here is a gimmick. It just might not suit what a particular user wants.

I think the ground isolation switch is interesting to have in the hardware. It decouples power from the audio I/o of the interface which is a thoughtful touch and something they can do with the built in battery.

Watching Loopops again video this morning (in peace this time) you do get the feeling there is a lot stuff is in the pipeline to be added on this.

USB recording
More control over FX
Pattern editing (I see the built in stuff currently a makeshift sounds for demo on the move)

5 Likes

To be honest the lead thing doesnā€™t bother me - been a fair few videos showing leads purchased from Amazon etc that are slim to fit so its not like you are forced to buy TE cables

3 Likes

Yeah itā€™s the same with the Bluebox. Not hard to find suitable ones on Amazon etc.

if the TX-6 did have an option like the Bluebox to record jams then the high price tag would make it easier to digest. Hopefully they add an option in the future to record jams. For over 1k, it really should have that essential feature like the less expensive Bluebox does.

2 Likes

Yeah on cables - amazon has a bunch of options. Since I already had the bluebox I was already stocked in that world. Not a single overpriced cable to be found here.

The two on the left are amazon basics, then moswag. The far right is a ugreen I think, and a bit too thick if it was in line.

5 Likes

The thinnest cables are most of the time the most cheapest and crappiest cables on the market.
Great combo for a massively overpriced mixer. :joy:

5 Likes

If those input jacks are stereo, that means no balanced cables, right?

I may be totally off on this but isnā€™t that the case for just about any 3.5mm device on the market? I went looking for an exception. Bluebox is definitely unbalanced, but Iā€™m trying to find an exception in music devices with mini jacks. Is there a tiny 3.5mm device that has balanced inputs? Itā€™s a fair critique on the whole category, bb included, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s unique here? Happy to be wrong.

Is anyone able to confirm if the pocket operator coffee cup trs leads are slimline enough to fit into the inputs of the tx6? E.g. these https://teenage.engineering/store/cable-kit-grande/

@MichaalHell - are those the same cables you used in your videos?

Iā€™m 90% sure this have the same size as the stereo cables they sell. Which were the ones I was was using

1 Like

I donā€™t think I actually have a need for this myself, but itā€™s obviously very unique. Not aware of anything anywhere near this size and inputs.

1 Like