Teenage Engineering Pocket operator modular system

Even better for teaching kids about the ripe market for ‘form over function’ :wink:

IMHO TE hit the nail with this. It´s very Bauhaus-styled and even includes a cable-holder…the packaging is beautifull, and it´s just wow!

2 Likes

Me too…

2 Likes

Looks great for sure. Doesn’t seem like much thought went in to sturdiness/protection or interesting modules though :frowning: And Koma vibes on the cable holder. Got one of these on my case :wink:

https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=kabelhanger

Main thing is how it sounds. If it sounds good then they should sell well at the price for people dipping their toes.

1 Like

I too take this any time over a damn Behringer System 100, that missed this elegant design.

1 Like

500 for a whole system with 16 modules plus sequencer plus case plus cables is not much. In Eurorackland you pay this for one Osc module.

3 Likes

The few examples on their website sounded decent enough to me…:wink:

Check out Ladik. Amazing value modules.

The TE oscs (very likely) aren’t in same league as the more expensive oscs in Euro. Like comparing a one function zoom pedal with a multi purpose/function strymon.

Yeah sounded Ok. But also sounded like ‘just another synth’. Pretty good value though and it looks pretty.

Did you guys also have seen this?

https://www.teenageengineering.com/designs/I-1

And back on topic also this?
They have a dimension sheet. So turn the modules into Eurorack modules: https://www.teenageengineering.com/_img/5c40d68837f9710004314dd3_original.pdf

1 Like

OpLab module for the OP-Z shown in PO Modular vid! oh nice! We’ll probably get availability details at NAMM.

3 Likes

Wow, nice!! This NAMM is going to be great, and this year a bad year for many wallets haha. I’m not into modular so I’m not having any GAS for this but it has my attention. Despite this, in my opinion, what’s the point to make the customer assembly the case? It’s not a DIY pack and neither a form to make it cheaper to us… so come on TE, calm down your coolness. Don’t get me wrong, I really like TE machines, but these modulars aren’t for me and I think they overpriced a bit the packs. Well, just an opinion, maybe I’m wrong.

Flatpack is not to do with coolness, but practicality for shipping and to keep cost lower, think Ikea :wink:

4 Likes

Don’t go back on topic, haha, that’s awesome. :wink:

3 Likes

I am curious about the stuff they will put out together with Ikea this year. A recorder player has been already announced, but i´ve read in an interview that they will also do some party lights thing…

2 Likes

I’ve yet to explore lighting enough and spent a bunch of time looking at Smart Lighting videos this year. I’ll be interested to see if that party lighting thing is any good.

Nice!

While I’m unlikely to get this (the 400 looks really cool but I think for another $100 USD the OP-Z is more of what I’m looking for these days), I’m happy to see it. I’m also unlikely to get the Mother-32 or Lifeforms SV-1 or Neutron or any of those things. I’ve had my fill of that form and sound. But hey! That’s why we have OP-Z and OP-1 and a Pocket Operator that does weird shit with your voice and another that can be re-programmed by a VST!

This is their first full analog thing, isn’t it?

yay for more things that aren’t clones and reproductions of the boring things of yesteryear. but yay for things like this and Volca Modular that seem inspired by the cool things of yesteryear (70’s BBC radiophonic workshop kind of designs and other dumb things I like).

yay for interesting design aesthetic. It reminds me of the shape of the Folktek Mescaline, which is a device I do want. I do love this kind of aesthetic.

yay for something that is a little less ambitious than the OP-Z and should be easier to produce and ship soon. (but also yay for them making something as ambitious as the OP-Z and finally getting that thing out into the world).

i’m interested to see where it goes. i could see myself with one of these units before the end of the year. the little 170 unit is more interesting to me than probably any of the Roland Boutiques. (But, as said, I’ve got about enough little subtractive monosynths… But it sure is pretty and looks fun and runs on batteries and is small and pretty and oh shit I’m starting to talk myself into it, aren’t I?)

5 Likes

TE maybe reduce (a liiiitle biiiiiiiit) their costs, but as I said, I don’t think they really reflected that savings in price. That’s all, unpopular opinion maybe, ok. Just saying.

Also Ikea is not what it used to be… but that’s another story. :pl: