Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Use it like you would use it without knowing about these issues. You bought it to be creative with it so be creative with it.

Deal with problems as soon as they come up but not beforehand.

I mean if you weren’t in a forum like this you wouldn’t even know that there are these issues and maybe it puts things a little bit out of perspective as we don’t know how many units are out there without issues.

3 Likes

It is not said that your OP-Z will get the problems others have/had. Just enjoy your OP-Z, it’s a nice piece of hardware.

Yeah. Nothing can replace it for me because I got it for its portability. I’m just thinking that if it does fail, I’d insist on refund, not exchange rather than risk going multiple rounds.

Just to add a bit to the other side of the argument : my op-z was fine from day one (first batch available from Thomann, Germany) and I still haven’t encountered any hardware issues. One of the yellow rubber screws on the bottom is a bit too loose, but that’s about it.

Haven’t noticed any impact either with the module. As well I think subsequent firmware updates have improved the battery life. On the first OS using bluetooth app connectivity would drain the battery very quickly, 2 hours or so, now it seems to be around 4.

No problems whatsoever for me. And remember, happy, trouble-free users don’t post about it on internet forums. Only people having problems complain. That skews the news somewhat.

+1 for buying from Thomann. They give a 3-year warranty on everything.

I’m totally ordering it again! I figured what was going on with mine was not a common issue, and I just got a dud. I’m just bummed cause now I have to wait another few days for it to re-arrive. :grin:

Does the new firmware update put the OP-Z into Octatrack territory in anyone’s opinion?

No, not even close. Only the sequencer can hold up.

3 Likes

Nah, more like a Digitakt. The extremely limited sample space is a hindrance. As a result, I don’t think I’ll ever really use it for sampling (I prefer preparing samples on the computer using OP-1 drum utility etc), but the sample editing features seem pretty great.

I can kinda understand why they would limit the storage space, in terms of making a lean device that is quick and fun to use, rather than spending half an hour digging for samples every time you use it, but it also means that anything I make using samples will break when I replace them with a new set.

Coupled with the somewhat extreme double-triggering of buttons on my device (seriously, how hard is it to implement a debounce filter in the firmware? Make it so a button can’t trigger again for 100ms or so after it’s been released… is there something I’m missing?), I’m a bit conflicted as to whether or not I should keep it or just move it on. I’m keeping it for the moment due to the incredible sequencer and the extreme portability, but once the new nanoloop device starts shipping, I could be convinced to sell it…

2 Likes

Yes it does - to the extent that you can quickly sample a phone source like youtube [say a drum passage, random audio or Rhodes phrase (not necessarily hitting logical start and end points)] and then start messing with trigs, filter, fx etc to replay slices and develop an interesting new loop.

This is pretty cool on a tiny pocket device that itself is ironically somewhat a mere slice of the octatrack’s dimensions and weight.
Certainly not a ‘whole OT’ but it’s in the same territory when it comes to the outcome.

1 Like

Yes and no. It’s pretty cool to chop up and mangle sounds with drum sampler. And the sequencer is way better than the Octatrack’s.

The pitch up/down is also much better than the Octatrack.
It’s definitely nowhere near being a replacement for the Octatrack, but there’s a lot of crossover now.

1 Like

Does anyone happen to have a B&H OP-Z discount code they aren’t using? I usually get emails from them but for some reason I didn’t get this one. :frowning:

6 Likes

Absolutely lovely work right there. Perfect for my morning coffee as the early sun rises over the river.

1 Like

Thank you very very much. Really appreciate you took your time to listen AND to give your Feedback!
You must have a really beautiful morning panorama btw. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s not bad. Your work made it even better😊

How does the op-z work as a midi controller?
Getting dejvu, maybe i asked before, but i still wonder.

Can you sync it to ableton and use the opzs sequencer to write midi notes in ableton? With trig conditions etc?

Yes you can. Each of the 16 Tracks can send and receive midi.

You can send „step components“ (that‘s what Elektron calls „trig conditions“) on Tracks 1 to 8.

1 Like
3 Likes