Teenage Engineering OP-Z

There are several volume controls other than the yellow knob. Maybe you turned it down too low in software?

1 Like

Yeah, there’s volume on the master track as well, that can boost things quite a bit. I have found the OP-Z is quiet in it’s default state, probably optimized for headphone usage.

1 Like

I’ll try to boost the master volume in the mixer section, yeah… but I think I was already on the verge of clipping.

That’s one area where using it screenless is a bit of a pain : you never really know your levels.

Have you tried normalizing the samples once recorded to the octatrack?

1 Like

I think the low gain is actually an OT issue. I have tried several OT’s and work in a synth shop and the input of all OT’s is low. To make up for it I usually reduce the volume of my samples and use the compressor to turn the whole mix up in the OT.

1 Like

Well, after normalizing the track in my audio editor, result is not so bad. So, here is my first op-z track:

Hip hop with some glitchy madness here and there.

3 Likes

Looks like the Sampler update is due! The iOS app just updated. Release notes: Sample editor.

6 Likes

HELL YEAAAAAH!

Edit: yep, it’s a complete sentence.

1 Like

It’s now official. Guides been updated too.

Tried it out for a few minutes there and very nice! Just sampled some classic Scottish dialect (“yet maw”) and added some beats/synths and away I went.

Looks like you can sample digitally over usb too which is really nice

1 Like

Fuck me - two channel audio interface?!

4 Likes

Really opens things up for me. Can’t wait to dig into this

1 Like

Now, that’s what I call a f°ckin’ good update! :flushed:

1 Like

I’m strongly considering letting go of my Digitone and getting an OP-Z instead… the portability; the battery power; the synths; the sampler! It seems like it’ll fit my ‘minimalist’ workflow with the ZOIA a whole lot better.

Keep the post and tunes coming, dudes!

2 Likes

While these are absolutely convincing features keep in mind that OP-Z seems to suffer from a not-so-rare issue with key double/triple trigs and key press instability.

2 Likes

Tried to sample directly from my iPhone via USB-C. It worked!
Connected the devices via the Apple Camera Lightning to USB-A Adapter and the OP-Z USB-A to USB-C Cable.

Perfect solution for my dawless, small and mobile Setup!

That’s OP-Z 2.0 if you ask me :raised_hands:

5 Likes

My dawless mobile Setup with OP-Z and Zoom H4N Pro just got a huge possibility boost.
Sampling is possible via usb from my iPhone (camera connection kit) so I can sample from youtube/spotify and different apps directly to the op-z and still don’t need a computer.

1 Like

Wow, I did wonder if it’d work nicely with the Apple side of things. Will have to try wth the iPad at some point

1 Like

I’m getting insane feedback from the build in speaker when try to sample from built in microphone. as a result it’s impossible to sample anything.
Is anyone know what am I missing?

Maybe obvious but: Have you turned the volume as low as possible?
If you turn it low as possible before “snapping” the knob to turn the op-z off it shouldn’t be audible so you should not get feedback.

2 Likes

that did help and I feel stupid now. however would be nice if speaker turn off automatically while sample. Always turning the volume knob is a bit cumbersome

2 Likes