Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Copy/paste pattern is very easy!

2 Likes

This is what I was thinking.
I love work arounds :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Sooooo something that I failed to understand when I watched instructional videos, is, that while the pattern is limited to 16 steps for each track, each step can hold up to four notes, each with its own individual timing. You have to use live record to put the notes in, but, this way, I could play in my whole four bar tune into a single pattern. And it could run even “slower” too, I think I made it half speed, and I guess it could manage 8 bars? I haven’t tried yet.

This means I avoid global mute for the time being ^^ as long as I am happy to stay in this (now quite long) pattern.

You can do incredibly long but fast stuff by slowing down the track speeds on the OPZ but sequencing them from a DT, for example, at high speed.

3 Likes

I apologise if this has already been understood, but, you can easily turn off autosave if you want to, and manually save patterns instead :slight_smile: It’s an easy key combo and it’s made visually obvious if you are using the app.

1 Like

Yes thanks and sorry, will look at it.
Until now, hope im wrong,
on that grey user guide i can only see save project manually. And snaphot stuff

I want, after enjoying the sequencer on various patterns without worries, save pattern 9 and leave patterns 1-8 like they were before turning on machine.

If thats possible, great.
If not, i buy an acoustic guitar, push2 or enjoy the silence, also great.

Thanks good night to all lifeforms in this and parallel universe

Honestly, as much as I’m excited for the OP-Z, I dread having to memorize exactly what I’m looking at when it comes to what lights are on and which color This must be kinda crummy for someone who is color blind.

1 Like

Starting to understand a bit. Seems very fast and fun. The performance features he shows off at the end are great, a natural evolution of the PO stuff.

Video from Andrew Huang on the op-z. Nothing new, but still enjoyable to watch.

1 Like

The performance side of things was what made me sit up and take notice most during Cuckoo’s video. It was like having The Finger at your, well, fingertips and seemed to work really nicely.

I’d much rather this thing was at least 50% bigger but I get the novelty angle TE were aiming for.

1 Like

Ooohhh um right not sure. I’ll check this out today. You want to manually save a single pattern only.

My biggest annoyance is that it doesn’t seem to have a “kit” concept, so it has the same behaviour S the Digitakt, where all sound params are saved per pattern, making jamming in a multi-pattern context harder. But I am still very much a noob, and the patterns are actually pretty huge, so idk it’s probably no biggie once I get used to it.

They’ve updated the OP-Z page with the details everyone’s been asking about:

https://teenage.engineering/products/op-z

battery
. 6 hour battery life
. 1 year stand-by time
. user replaceable

There you go :slight_smile:

3 Likes

6 hours is pretty dog shit for a screenless device but I gather it’s easy to replace the batteries and it’s usb c charging too so presume fast charge?

6 hours is ok with me, takes 30 seconds to get to battery if you want to hot swap, you could I guess also charge from another external battery pack plugged in usb c if needed. Charging is very fast…most planes have usb charge slots now, I can’t see it being a problem for me.

1 Like

Battery life is very subjective I guess. I don’t think TE nailed the happy middle ground for me - too many little flaws for my liking but, again, I can see a future where I convince myself to try one once it’s compatible with Android at a future date - unless, of course, Android is now completely out the window. I’m sure I read it was still on the roadmap though.

Radioactive paint. Hope youve checked yourself over with a Geiger counter :slight_smile:

Just thought y’all might like a heads up. They’ve made it stateside. Now I just gotta wait until tomorrow…

Oh yeah- my preorder was dated 01/2017 so I don’t know where that puts me in the line but it’s gotta be near the top.

1 Like

Me too!! I preordered June 2017. Should arrive Tuesday.

and @mr_bernard

I take it this is from a vendor and not a direct TE pre-order? What vendor might I ask? I’ve got one pre-ordered through Sweetwater and Perfect Circuit and whoever get’s theirs first gets my $.

I am thinking if it could have been done, it would have been done. Perhaps it’s a durability issue (maybe it chipped or flaked off) or maybe in reality it didn’t glow enough to be of any use and was a difficult manufacturing process…there must be a good reason (as an origonal batch owner I kinda hope this is the case as I would be pissed if it was just a mistake and the next batch glowed!)