The list of features is never ending!

WOOOOW!

I’ve only looked at the pic but that looks beautiful

Yes it looks nice and battery powered. Need to check tutorials on youtube

Thread here!

1 Like

That gives me some hope for OP-Z 2.

1 Like

OP-Z was a build off of the PO’s iirc, so yeah I guess you’re right, some day we could see an OP-Z II
Sample and Synth Sequencer/Composer

I could see it being a unit that builds upon the entire EP series, but in one device.

Getting a few carts in front of this horse but the vision is there :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah I would think there will be a next OP-Z at some point.

Especially since the CEO said so last superbooth :blush: even if that does not guarantee anything it does seem probable

Give me an op-z with velocity/pressure sensitive buttons and a fader :star_struck:

2 Likes

Agreed. I could see an EP-Z coming out eventually. Maybe even more likely than a filed version, who knows?

I do think the new form factor of an EP series would give TE the latitude to make a new form factor for a follow on to the op-z, and therefore fix the weaker points of the op-z (build quality, no velocity sensitive pads, no screen) while keeping the strengths (the sequencer, fx/tape/performance/master tracks).

1 Like

I saw some chat about CME widi above. I just bought a cme u6midi pro (USB only version but with routing) for midi and I am happy to report that the OPZ powers it through USB and seems fine to spray midi to the three output ports. You need to use the OPZ configurator to set the midi channel. This is a nice alternative to the OPZ modules for anyone wanting midi out. It is also a decent price during black friday direct from CME or from Amazon.

This thing really makes me appreciate the opz more…
I’m not sure I want to give up the size for velocity, opz is pretty amazing it has so much on such a small size… I mean just sampling it has looping, recordable punch in effects, recordable parameter locks, plus way more channels… and just way more of everything… plus for what it is worth… feels much higher quality… I guess opz can fall apart though for some . Mine is fine, it is even has stereo samples too!! How is it only $200 more? It makes me feel like the opz is actually cheap. Maybe I’m wrong though.
We do have a velocity pad too also, I don’t think many actually use it… it is not recordable which is silly…
I really feel like I would make a different type of music with the ko though, I really would like to get it and use them together… the punch effects not being recordable kinda killed my gas for now.

1 Like
  • OP-Z only has mono samples
  • The KOII can also record parameter changes (fader changes)
  • The pad on the Op-Z is for pitch, not velocity, though you’re correct you can’t record it.
    But on the Z you can definitely change step velocity with the velo step component
    (And fwiw mine barely works and I got the unit new in August)
  • technically I think they have a similar amount of ‘channels’, the KOII might actually have more, this is where I tread into territory I’m unsure of, but the KOII has 9 pads (tracks) on each of the four groups right? And I believe you can assign a midi channel to a pad, so technically could sequence 16 midi channels with different pads. Maybe that’s not correct, but the OP-Z does only have 9 really usable ‘channels’ so I’ll bet their capabilities there are around the same if the KOII doesn’t have the edge.
  • huge advantage to the Z for polyphonic sample/synth playback though. If I’m understanding correctly the KOII only does polyphonic midi sequencing, but not of internal sounds just if you’re sequencing an external synth or something.

Just clarifying a couple things.
I mostly agree, the Z is a great value for what it is, especially finding a used one for about the same price as the KOII.

Personally, I prefer the OP-Z functionality and the KO2 form factor. I’d love to see an EP-Z that can do everything the OP-Z does (and more), but in a sturdy body with velocity sensitive pads and a display (though I’d say that the KO2 display doesn’t really bring anything over OP-Z LEDs, I’d definitely prefer something like the OP-1 display).

2 Likes

a giant opz in the style of the 133 would be an insta buy for me.

2 Likes

I think OP-Z is ideal tool and terms of capabilities and the only a problem there is a build quality. For the price it should’ve been built like a tank.

1 Like

The buttons on the more affordable EP seem more reliable than those on the OPZ.
652d23740b4176bcaf401fd2_2048

3 Likes

At the risk of repeating myself.

In my opinion all the OP-Z needs:

• stereo samples (20 sec long)
  • better sample management (& more storage)
  • battery life of the OP-1 field
  • built-in line module
    (I have no need for the other modules, therefore no need for the module system)
  • better synth engines (maybe with 4 parameters to edit)

Nice-to-haves:

• built-in microtonic engine for the drum tracks
  • customizable Step Components & Punch-in FX
  • 1.5x larger footprint
  • audio over USB for multitracking all tracks at once
11 Likes

OP-Z needs better built quality for the same price. This is what it really needs.

3 Likes