Teenage Engineering OP-1

i was actually wondering if it actually had tape in it or it was just an emulation

Is it actually HiFi? everything Iā€™ve heard from the sampler (my friend has one) sounds pretty bit-reduced. and the synth engine always sounds very chip tunes to me unless Iā€™m missing something?

Yeah the sampler is gritty, synth engine is pretty hifi but thereā€™s plenty of aliasing and noise from the outputs. I never wished for higher sound quality when I had one, the interface more than makes up for it.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s not the machine to get if you want 24/96 stereo sampling. I ended up selling mine but it left an OP-1 shaped hole in my sound palette, that the OP-Z has only half-filled, both figuratively and literally :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess so? But my understanding of what chipmusic sounds like is more broad than most other people. The FM stuff I make in nanoloop 2 doesnā€™t sound anything like typical gameboy/NES sounds, and OP-1 is capable of similar FM, soā€¦ I guess that statement is true?

The engines are pretty diverse imo. They can get that lo-fi SRR/bitcrushed sound if you wantā€”in fact, I miss the dr. wave engine the most for the super lush automation of those kinds of soundsā€”but I definitely remember making silky, warm ambient sounds with it. As with anything you just need to know how to push it. ā€œChip tuneā€ isnā€™t a negative thing, it just means you may need to do some strange things in order to get the sounds you want out of it. If (possibly weird) workarounds arenā€™t your style, fair enough, go and get a synth where the sounds you want to make are easier to dial in :slight_smile:

1 Like

The new finer tape marker resolution is great for precise edits, especially when wanting to place events exactly where you want without using sequencing, and making little micro loops/layers and so on.

Edit: Just read some of my old TE email beta feature requests, I asked for this in 2011, along with a bunch of other stuff, and a hardware interface to connect the OP-1 to other gear - obviously before the Oplab came out, I totally forgot :joy: See the attached screenshots if interested.

6 Likes

Though the overall sound quality is not as high or as good as any Elektron machine I donā€™t agree that the OP-1 sounds ā€˜chip tuneyā€™ generally speaking in respect of sampling capabilities because that depends on how and what youā€™re actually doing with it.

I must admit that ā€˜chiptuneā€™ isnā€™t one of my favourite genreā€™s though some of it IS great but itā€™s too reductionist and way off the mark to classify the OP-1 to that kind of sonic pallet in general.

Itā€™s an extremely varied and capable machine depending on the user.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve seen somewhere the pcbā€™s are in prototype fase, so I think a few lucky people are building the synth and testing?
Meanwhile Iā€™ve found another cool Op1/OTTO style synth thing, but no tape or sequencer mentioned?
https://www.sonicware.jp/elz-1-1

my guess on the ā€œchip tuneā€ comment is they were referring to the Dr Wave synth. which can sound VERY chip tune. thatā€™s absolutely not the only sound the OP1 does though. youā€™re not going to get the greatest minimoog emulation out of it or anything, thatā€™s just not itā€™s thing. but thereā€™s a lot of lush sounds in there.

1 Like

For me the most valuable aspect of the op-1 is how it leads you to come up with new and unique ideas, which would probably have never occurred with other gear. A recent example:
I sampled some sounds of ocean waves into the op-1. I already had a nice drumbeat, a bass line and pads going on 3 of the 4 tracks on the tape. By routing the G-sensor to the cut-off frequency of the lowpass filter of the sampler engine which had the wave sounds on it, I could ā€˜playā€™ the crashing of the waves to the beat by tilting the op-1 around. The main result could have also been achieved with other samplers which have filters, but probably not in such a fast, fun and organic way.

4 Likes

Admittedly I have had limited exposure to the device. I have always heard it referred to as deep and capable, but was always confused by what I head from it - I have no doubt results vary based on the user.

Not to mention the inclusion of a small speaker on the device while enabling flexible, on-the-go use does not encourage full-range sound design (when using the speaker, as my friend is prone to do). I suppose decent monitoring is a must when attempting to get the most out of it

haha well thatā€™s understandable - the speaker on it is worthless - same for the OP-Z and all the volcaā€™s too - I really donā€™t get these inclusions on portable devices - itā€™s just a way to annoy not only yourself but everyone else around you while you ā€˜jam awayā€™ - They freak my cat out too.

So they do have a use after all. Iā€™ll try a Volca on mine and report backā€¦ I didnā€™t actually realise that OP-1s have mini speakers as well.

1 Like

Why is op1 forum basically dead? Many views but not many replies! So many issues even with the latest update! So many questions not answered? Why?
What are the differences in revs of Op1? What is that latest firmware update all about? Manual update?

iPad 2 + Samplr, around $70 altogether :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah most samplers can do this, I also dont think that a G-sensor is worth that much or usable as much as a Filter cutoff knob. Something like this https://www.sourceaudio.net/hot-hand-usb.html is more usable as it goes on your finger, no need to pick up the Op-1 and move it around.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been saying :slight_smile: the results can be achieved with other gear. What Iā€™ve been trying to bring across with my example is that I did not have the intention to do that as I started out. The whole thing was a happy accident in discovering that functionality by messing with the op-1. And this, in my opinion, is one of the strongest features the op-1 has to offer, as it leads me to have new discoveries all the time.

2 Likes

You know what would put the nail in the coffin for me would be a tape app similar to op-1 style

What do you mean?
www.operator-1.com has moved to www.op-forums.com, FYI

1 Like

I asked a similar question over at the OP forums, but here goes:

Iā€™m a very happy new user of the OP-Z, and a fan of the OT. Iā€™m seriously thinking about the OP-1 as a main hub for song creation. Iā€™ve found I much prefer dedicated machines over general-purpose computers like the iPad or PC, for music creation at least.

My question is, is the OP-1 showing itā€™s age? Or is it still a viable purchase in 2019?

I canā€™t update my OP-1 (which is less than two years old btw) because it wont boot to the update screen.

Iā€™ve contacted TE via support ticket almost two weeks ago now and there has been no reply

Is this normal? Anyone dealt with their support channel before?

Thatā€™s an incredibly bad show of support for a flagship product

Things like this are time sensitive to warranty and guarantee dates