Teenage Engineering OP-1

7 Likes

That’s ex VAT

To me they aren’t investments I had both virtually since they came out, I doubt I’d ever sell them unless a lot of other stuff had to be sold first.

I tend to keep most of my stuff for years, which is why I don’t mind paying a bit more for something I really like, I won’t buy designer clothes or flash cars, or the latest iphone etc, but if something is going to give me years of joy then I think it is worth paying for it, that isn’t to say cheap stuff can’t give me joy too though, but with instruments like OP-1, Octatrack, modular etc you are paying for a very specific and sometimes niche set of features.

3 Likes

Yeah, agreed. I don’t buy gear as investments either. I only sold mine because te implied ‘stop the frenzy, more are coming’. Lesson learned… don’t trust people that want your money.

1 Like

Dont forget, this is a battery operated synth. An internal battery which requires a lot of work to replace. TE will do so, at time and expense. Not sure anyone has run into charge time issues yet but surely will as years drag on. As such this synth is not one to last decades without necessary maintenance.

CF

1 Like

Not always, I don’t have everything they make, but just the same with any other purchase I make I don’t ask myself why a company is charging a certain price, I just ask myself am I prepared to pay that price, because that is something I can decide upon, I can’t decide their asking price.

If you think TE stuff is overpriced don’t even bother looking at eurorack, 500 series, mastering gear, etc. lol.

3 Likes

Well this is disgusting. I had one a few years back for £700. Its the same model!!! Justifications are… Well if we can we can. Its a dog eat dog world in business. But the sales will plummet. Because everything has its peak sale point. This is way and beyond. Getting into Dave Smith territory lol.

1 Like

haha that’s messed up!

This is a tricky topic! And there has been a lot of philosophical discussion about it.

It is practically impossible to not participate in capitalism, if you live in a capitalist society.

It is also completely valid to criticise it, even while you live in it.

And, for what it’s worth, I agree with @Skippit that it really seems like TE is profiteering here. That’s capitalism at work, and capitalism is royally fucked up.

<3

3 Likes

TE takes an L for this in my book.

oh really? tell me more about pricy stuff…
I don’t do and don’t need to :wink:

It’s not about if I think TE is overpriced or not (I don’t think all their stuff is), it’s about THIS price increment without explanation in a really overpriced-secondhand-market old product.

Remember folks its the 80’s and

4 Likes

It could be suggested/argued that sales of the OP-1 had largely stagnated prior to the suspected screen issue. But, regardless, TE don’t want to halt production so are buying parts in much more limited numbers and losing all sorts of economies of scale in the process which would simply drive the price up. Probably quite considerably when thinking it through. So, TE want the OP-1 to continue to be available for those who want one but just can’t cater for a market demand that doesn’t exist. Purely hypothetical there mind you but I doubt they plucked some massive price increase out of thin air.

6 Likes

I can’t blame TE for increasing the price. If people are willing to spend that kind of money on it then why not ask that kind of money? They will lower the price fast if nobody is buying.

2 Likes

yup, also we’ll see if there will be more distributors and their price. Maybe, dunno.

1 Like

It’s never a good look when a company openly outs their own customers, spec when its a bit moralistic. And it’s bound to backfire, as you can see here. It’s total teenage behaviour in the marketing dept for this one I’m afraid :slight_smile:

Does it still come in the dodgy recycled cardboard?

So that’s the real reason you’re upset. You sold yours on at a large profit, thinking you’d be able to buy it back cheap later on, and now that plan has backfired.

None of us know the real reason behind the price increase (supply chain issues seem to be the most likely IMO). Would be cool to see a statement from them.

4 Likes

The price up and downs are insane. There were times you got from your local dealer a new OP1 for 899. And now it´s 1399. That´s almost a 50% price difference. With carefull planing that shouldn´t be so extreme.

2 Likes

the thing that surprises me most is that they haven’t issued a preemptive statement (whether factual or fabricated) citing some kind of change of supplier for a key part etc etc… something / anything to try and and at least partially explain the increase.

By not doing, they’re basically saying “well why shouldn’t we eh?!”

The balls of them is almost admirable, in a way.

3 Likes