Teenage Engineering OP-1

Is the new OP1 screen amoled ?

There are iOS devs earning peanuts that are working on software that squares up to the op1 software. Not the same, but equally complex in other waysā€¦

Pretty sure behringer could pay someone to make something twice as powerful as op1 and charge half as much. If they wanted toā€¦

Rohan at Synthstrom has coded all of Deluge by himself I think? Op1 separate components arenā€™t a big deal. The cool thing is how they tie together. But Iā€™d guess a lot of people could code something similar/better if they really wanted toā€¦

1 Like

So its ok for you to sell it for that price, but not TE? :rofl:

To be honest it sounds like the main reason you are so mad is that you sold yours thinking you could buy another one cheaper when they came back in stockā€¦

8 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I paid 560 GBP for mine new and thought it was overpriced (but very sexy!) then. I had it for 4 years, sold it for Ā£600 (with the case) so all in all it was free :grinning: If you buy it for 1200 now and sell it for 1100 in five years its actually pretty cheap, no one is disputing they hold their value- same with the real Moog stuff. you can just consider it a really cheap rental!

I never made anything useful or particularly musical with it, but it did look and feel great! I have an OP-Z now as a little travel buddy and I find it far more to my style (step sequencing!)

2 Likes

I honestly think the sequencing is better on the OP-Z the main drawback for OP-Z is its 16 step limitation.
But you can get well over 8 bar loops in an instant.

Itā€™s great for IDM and glitchy music.

1 Like

I agree. Step components are amazing.
Sadly as a whole the opz just isnt my cuppa tea, personally.
The opz sequencer on an op1 tho, would seriously float my prospective boat :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Big styles :wink:

1 Like

Is this a new edition?
Ie with new components?

Also, is it a lot more expensive than before?

FWIW Iā€™d pay that price for a new one with 3 years warranty no problem, because to me it is worth that, since I already have 2 though I donā€™t need another one.

Personally I donā€™t see what the problem is, it isnā€™t like there is a lack of cheap options out there, same way that you can buy Ā£10 supermarket own brand trainers or Ā£120 Nikes.

Small run boutique items are always going to be subject to materials cost price increases, and higher wage costs than say Behringer who make all/most of their own components and use the cheapest labour possible, nothing particularly wrong with either approach from a business point of view, just two different ways of running a business.

Adidas/Abbibas.

4 Likes

Itā€™s clear that this news has caused some disappointment, and thatā€™s perfectly understandable, but letā€™s try to keep this thread from getting antagonistic.

9 Likes

7 Likes

I bought and sold 3 OP1s!

Now got an OPZ and itā€™s been such fun to have.

I do like the ā€œreally cheap rentalā€ spin though :smile:

1 Like

I fully get that, itā€™s a polarizing device for sure.

I happen to love everything about it. Synth engines could use some sprucing up. But putting them through the sp 404 vinyl sim does a lot to the sound.

1 Like

Cheap op1 alternatives? Where? I donā€™t know of anyā€¦ iPad + controller is closest but thatā€™s pretty fractured compared to op1 all in one streamlined workflow/ui vibe.

First image is the email from TE when the price went over $8000
Second image is from TE site today, quite a bit cheaper, although still an increase on what they were.
I remember in November/December dealers were selling new for Ā£949/899, I also seem to remember TE mentioning that the screen was no longer available so maybe they had to get new ones made which could explain the big jump, bottom line is we donā€™t know, but TE do have some very affordable instruments as well as higher priced items, so Iā€™m sure they know what they are doing WRT pricing.

BTW in the Sonic State interview TE said there wonā€™t be an OP-2.

3 Likes

Not direct alternatives granted, however if an OP-1 is what you want then you have to pay whatever it is that they cost at the current time, or abandon the idea if you think your money is better spent elsewhere.

lol, I was waiting your reply, for you TE always itā€™s worth. We get it. :man_shrugging:

The thing is that they doesnā€™t have changed nothing but price. Anybody who paid less can keep increasing reselling price to ~900-1000ā‚¬ if they want.

Win-win!

Yeah, I get that :wink: was just questioning your saying ā€˜I donā€™t know what the issue is. There are cheaper alternativesā€™, when there really arenā€™t :wink:

Plenty other gear in the sea though :slight_smile:

And if you have two op1 already then of course youā€™re not gonna have an issue with a massive price hike. Keeps your own stock valuable :wink:

For half the price thereā€™s the Deluge, but in general itā€™s more about the insane price hike, after them being a bit too loud in criticizing their own customers for selling them for too much $$$ on the secondhand market.

Itā€™s just not a good look.

OP-1 was enjoyable, but i already found it fairly expensive for what it had to offer. But thats of course a personal opinion.

2 Likes